REI Alcove in High Wind

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Les Izmore, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Hi All!

A while back there was some discussion of using an REI Alcove shade structure in high wind. I thought I'd pass on our experience from earlier today. We're camped on the Outer Banks of NC and it has been blustery today - strong winds with gusts of 25-30 mph, though I'd swear some have a been stronger than that.

We set up the Alcove yesterday afternoon. The high winds started in the middle of the night. When we got up in the morning the Alcove was still in good shape, though we needed to retighten some guy lines. With four guy line stakes and four stakes at the base of the legs it was holding fast in sandy soil.

We had our wind wall set up, in order to have some privacy and shelter from the wind. But the winds died down yesterday, so we took down one side of the wind wall, leaving the other side still attached. It was that way last night when the wind came through, so it flapped around a lot before it finally woke Alea, who got up and put it back in place.

We were getting some very strong gusts by mid morning, when Alea heard the wind wall rip, as shown in this photo:

[​IMG]

I suspect it failed mainly due to the fact that it had flapped around in the wind for a while last night, than strictly due to wind speed. So if you are curious how well an Alcove will do in the wind, this should give you a good idea.

We patched the rip with duct tape front and back, and then sewed the duct tape onto the wind wall. It may not look pretty, but hey, it's just for blocking wind. I suspect it will likely hold better than the original.

2. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Not surprised to see the rip in the wind wall. We encountered an extremely windy rain storm a year or so ago in southern Colorado where the alcove was close to horizontal to the ground. Dancing around trying to take it down would have been a real thigh slapper for anyone observing the scene. Rips in the main shelter as well as the wind walls was pretty extensive. REI was kind enough to replace the whole thing.
    I do like your idea of duct tape with the sew job though and think something similar would be a solution to this apparent "flaw" in construction. Things change in the great outdoors frequently. It would be comforting to know your stuff is secure while away. Hey, that's a major factor why we have TD's, right? And why we gave up the tent scene. Good luck with your extended travels.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Thanks for the well wishes!

Until now, wind hasn't been an issue with our Alcove. We've always managed to find a semi-protected area to set it up, so that it doesn't get the full brunt of the wind. That's pretty hard to do on the Outer Banks, unless we can squeeze in between a diesel pusher and a fifth wheel (sound like fun?). The wind is still strong here (but it changed to a tailwind today) and it is very sunny, so finding shade is a challenge.

At times like this, those side awnings on the big rigs look tempting - at least you can put 'em up and take down quick enough. I guess I could put one on my TD - we would just have to get good at doing a duck walk. ;-)

We'll be inland in a few more days, and we rarely need our Alcove in the forest.

4. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Our Alcove has held up well in heavy rain and moderate wind. We love the wind wall for privacy. Everyone thinks it's a custom canopy. We utilize (6) 36" inch bunge cords on each side to tread the water, or it will collapse!

5. Wild Robot

Wild Robot Newbie

How easily can wind wall be taken down and reoriented?

Was thinking of getting one for my alcove, as I may be using it in a different way when I get the trailer. This post was a good reminder. <chuckle>