REI Alcove Shelter

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by mcjimjam, May 9, 2011.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

We finally got to field test our new REI Alcove shelter. We think it is a keeper- quick and easy to set up, light weight, and a perfect fit over the galley of our SUV height 550 Ultra.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. juliatmgllc

juliatmgllc Newbie

I have one of these and really like it. Best of all, it can be put up and taken down by ONE person. I also purchased the wind walls for it--they were unavailable for a while, so I also made wind walls which were a life saver on several occasions.

3. starlight

starlight Novice

McNugit--if you had to pick between this one and the Northern Breeze, which would you go for? We're in SoCal and will have up to 5 folks with us at a time (including tenters)...

4. mcjimjam

starlight--it's a little like comparing apples and oranges. We started off with the Northern Breeze, and we like it for several reasons. It is a screen room, so it will keep the bugs out. It has the awnings on all four sides which provide additional shade or extra protection from rain, when staked out. We like being able to have the one awning extended over the front of the teardrop, also providing shelter from rain over the doors of the teardrop. In cold or more inclement weather, the awnings can be rolled down and we feel very well protected from the weather while inside. Works especially well with a Mr. Buddy propane heater, as you can get it quite toasty in there. Of course, the sides also provide a great deal of privacy. It is quite roomy inside. If you back the teardrop in just enough to cover the hatch, it still allows room for our small dining table, both Camp-Inn tables, our chairs, and plenty of room for maneuvering around. We wouldn't give it up for anything!
    As for the REI Alcove, we really like it too, and wanted it for fair weather when we wouldn't be expecting a lot of bugs. It is mainly for setting up over the kitchen to keep the "tree droppings" off of us! It is very quick and easy to set up and take down, and undoubtedly gives a much more outdoor feel. We noticed that while using it, we attract considerably more interested onlookers to the Camp-Inn, probably because it is not so "hidden" as with the Northern Breeze. We wouldn't part with the Alcove either!
    In summation, we prefer both, for different reasons! It just depends on weather conditions, and how long we'll be camping for. I hope this helps in your decision making process.

5. mcjimjam

On second thought, after talking it over, if we absolutely HAD to pick ONE, then it would be the Northern Breeze, because of it's size and versatility.

6. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

I Believe the choice might depend on your climate, we have the Alcove and in the dry SW with few bugs it is ideal, however with bugs and rain being enclosed has a lot of appeal.

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I think they are two different canopies for two different purposes. Camping in one spot for several days in iffy weather versus one night or good weather camping. Many people will end up needing both styles of canopies - a heavy duty weather proof (or resistant) one, and a quick and light pop-up of some type.

8. mcjimjam

Well said, Evan!

9. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

Had a chance to try the REI Alcove with windwalls under some very windy conditions steady 30 to 40 MPH with gusts up to 50. Using stock stakes in firm ground everything stayed put. A slight anoyance was the noise from the flapping sidewall fabric, but it kind of reminded me of my youth sailing in Puget Sound and hearing the sails snap in the wind. Gave it kind of a nautical air.

10. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

good thread

thanks for the good posts, everyone

11. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I would not use the REI Alcove if it is raining. I set it up the last weekend we went camping because I did not think it was going to rain as much as it did. Water collects where the top meets the frame poles. The REI held up under the weight but I kept having to drain the water out as it collected. On hindsight, it probably would have been better to use the Northern Breeze.

12. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

When we met up with Tom at Castle Rock in September, he showed us these wonderful clips he found at WalMart(they are black, about 2.5 inches long and have a hole at the end). He put two on each side of the Alcove and with cord and stake, pulled the edge of the alcove down and kept the rain from pooling. The first time we found a WalMart, I found the clips (four to a pkg) on the wall in the camping supply area. The arrangement worked beautifully and we just pack the clips with cords in the bag with the Alcove. On the several occasions the ground was hardpacked and we couldn't pound in a stake, we used the weight from our wheel locks to hold the cords taut. I love the Alcove, mostly because one of us can start putting it up or taking it down while the other is doing some other chores. Also, because the windwall covers two sides, I used an 8x6 tarp, put some additional grommets along one side, and used binder rings to link it along the crosspiece for a third wall.
    [​IMG][/URL]

Wow I did it!
    Kathy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  13. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

You're a pro!

14. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Kathy,
    did you know that having a Camp-Inn would give you all these computer skills!

15. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

No! It's opened up a whole new area of potential employment (our software engineer-to-be son would gag at that) now that I'm enjoying retirement.

16. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Well, we know where he got his talent!

17. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Oh, Ken, you are a sweetie!

18. I have the REI Alcove also and have an alternative to the grip clips you're talking about, especially if it is a difficult area to drive stakes or if like me you just really don't like having to stake out guy lines. I bought a 12 pack of 36" bungee cords and stretch them from the ridge pole to the side poles, 6 to a side. They act like rafters for a roof and keep some support under the top of the Alcove. Easy to put on and off and no additional lines or stakes.

19. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Thanks for the idea! I'll try it when we go to Mossyrock! Kathy

20. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hey all, I was going to pick one of these up, but was remembering they do a sale in May and asked if they were offering members a 20% off coupon at that time. He was pretty sure they were. The sales dates are 18-28 May, in case you need anything from REI!