REI Alcove vs. REI InCamp

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by jimtiffany, Aug 2, 2013.

1. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

With our 560 on the production schedule we are looking at shelter options. From users here, and from what we saw at the PNW Roundup, it looks like a popular option is to have the REI Alcove for good weather and the Northern Breeze for bad weather. On the REI website I came across their InCamp shelter which looks like it might be versatile enough to serve in most weather conditions, maybe even precluding the need for a NB. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this shelter or tried it.

InCamp shelter:
    http://www.rei.com/product/845325/rei-incamp-shelter

InCamp wing wall:
    http://www.rei.com/product/845326/rei-incamp-shelter-wingwall-single

(look at the videos to get a good idea)

Alcove shelter:
    http://www.rei.com/product/794290/rei-alcove-shelter

Alcove wind walls:
    http://www.rei.com/product/761882/rei-alcove-windwalls

The major advantage of the InCamp is it has individual "wing walls" that can be used either as interior walls or as exterior awnings (check out the video). Because the sides are all the same shape, you can setup as many or as few as you want, in any configuration of walls or awnings. This can extend your covered area quite a bit. Because the Alcove has adjacent sides that are different shapes, each wall covers too sides (but you can roll one side up if not needed) and they can't be cross-utilized as awnings.

The down-side is the InCamp floor area is 9'x9' vs. the Alcove's 10'x10'. But it is slightly taller, with a peak height of 7' vs the Alcove's 6.5'. Also, the InCamp is more expensive, at $219 vs. the Alcove at $109. A big consideration would be if the TD hatch would fit under the curved top of the sides. As a side-feature, the InCamp is designed to fit with their InCamp 4 tent, which could be a handy addition for friends or family:

http://www.rei.com/product/845306/rei-incamp-4-tent

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. slumry

slumry Novice

The Northern Breeze is a bomb shelter. It protects you from bugs, rain, wind, cold and annoying neighbors if you close all the flaps. It is not a good hot weather shelter. It takes about as much effort to put up as an Alcove. Both can be setup by one person if they know how to choreograph the process. We don’t put the NB up very often, mostly when we are hunkering down. We run a propane heater in it if the weather is cool. The Alcove is cheap, relatively easy to put up, light weight, compact , slides over the back of the trailer and is useful for light rain, light wind and for keeping the kitchen in the shade. I have not tried the REI InCamp but figure it would work as well as the Alcove; however, I don’t think is in the same league as the NB for those end of the world scenarios.

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have a NB and a PahaQue Cottonwood Green-LT 12'x12'. I would descirbe it as the summer bomb shelter! I am able to put up myself, well constructed, and flexes with strong wind. Packs into a nice smaller size bag, fairly lighweight, and can be moved to cover tear drop in a rain storm.

My recommendation: invest in NB and the PahaQue Cottonwood Green-LT 12'x12'!

Jean

4. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I think the InCamp must be a relatively new offering. I don't remember that being available a couple of years ago. I like the idea of the flexibility, but the price is a bit steep when I have all of my needs (at the moment) met with the alcove. (Talk to me in a couple of years when Laddy is too tall for the top bunk...I may be rethinking our current configuration) I would wait for one of the 20% coupons to arrive. There should be one coming soon for the Labor Day sales they do. I used one for my Alcove actually. I need to find a was to clean my alcove cover (lots of sap on the top from being under trees), but I have been very happy with our set up. The NB is a great bomb-proof/bug proof/weatherproof/end of the world shelter and you can host your own circus under it. Neighborhood kids will love that!

5. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

The InCamp WILL NOT work with our tear/raindrops! We decided to sample one, after damaging two Alcove Shelters. The InCamp was unwieldy to set up, and absolutely needed to be staked to the ground, which could present a problem on hard ground or blacktop. The biggest problem though, is that the fabric that runs down each leg, restricts the size of the opening, making it too narrow to fit over the galley. Our conclusion is, that the Alcove IS the perfect shelter, for most weather conditions. Although it is wise to stake the legs, it will perform as a freestanding shelter on any surface. We now know that if you are diligent about cinching down the straps on each leg, and guying the canopy in two places, it will pull the canopy taut enough to allow the rain to run off. We learned this at CICO, when we had a substantial rainfall, and the Alcove held up like a champ- even without the bungee rafter system in place. The Alcove is easy to set up, and fits very nicely over the galley. Along with the Northern Breeze, we feel they are the perfect combo for year-round camping!

And just to clarify- the first time our Alcove broke was in a violent thunderstorm with gale force winds, and torrential rain. One of the plastic corner pieces snapped when the water pooled in the canopy, because the canopy wasn't guyed out. REI replaced it for free, no questions. The second time, we foolishly neglected to guy the canopy when rain was in the forecast. Once again, the water pooled, and a plastic corner snapped. Even though REI has changed their lifetime replacement policy to one year, they still gave us a new one, as we were grandfathered in. In the future we will pay closer attention to the weather forecast, and be sure everything is guyed and staked!

6. I have to agree- we really tried to make the REI Incamp shelter work for us too but finally returned it for the Alcove.

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have to agree with Jean. We just got back from the Hoosier fall gathering.

We picked up a 12x12 cottonwood paha que...I can't say enough good things about it....this is our 2nd time using it, so far no complaints.

1) stands up very well to wind....I've seen videos and talked to people who have seen 40MPH winds not disturb the tent (if properly guy wired)
    2) there are 2 crossed poles....rain just slides off....No pooling
    3) packs down to a small size...just a little larger then the alcove
    4) Quality metal construction

Sides are available for even more privacy....I really can't say enough good things.

What tells me I'm on the right path is I saw 2 others last weekend....they are gaining popularity :). I got a 12x12. Size is about perfect. They make a 10x10, I think it might be just a twitch too small.

8. Jean W

The 12x12 cottonwood paha que basically covers the entire tear, 10 x 10 covers the galley. For me the two perfect shelters are the paha que and Northern Breeze!

Jean

9. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Where do you find the cottonwood tent. I did a google search and came up with a cottonwood by Browning and another by Wenzel are either of these what you are refering too?

10. Jean W

www.pahaqua.com
    search shelters, there are 10 x 10 and 12 x 12 shelters.

Can also find on Amazon.

Jean

11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have the 12x12 and use it behind the galley to give shelter to us while outside. It's perfectly sized. I think the 10x would be a little small...

It's truly a great canopy...

12. Rick  Sarah

Rick Sarah Novice

Hi Joan,
    Just getting ready to go on our first stay put camping trip and we just ordered our Pahaque 12x12 Cottonwood. Can't wait to try it out. Do you use any side walls with yours?

13. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Hi!

I suspect everyone is all over the map on what the "perfect" outdoor shelter would be. If you are likely to ever camp in Eastern OR/Eastern WA, a shade shelter will be pretty much essential. West of the cascades, most places will have enough trees that finding sun is a much bigger issue than finding shade. The Alcove seems to work for a lot of folks, though setting it up over the galley hatch makes little sense, as you end up with only half as much shelter (but it does look sort of cute that way). We've had repeated problems with the shock cord coming off on the ridge pole on our Alcove, but have always have been able to get it back together without undue hardship.

The Northern Breeze is expensive and you'll likely want to be inside someone else's when it's in the sun on a warm/hot day before deciding on that purchase, unless you'll never be in those conditions. Yes, it is an option to keep bugs at bay, but in the summer you'll feel like you're in an oven, so hardly a great trade off. There are likely better and simpler options for hiding from bugs, especially if you don't need space for twelve. And yes, you can pretty park your trailer inside of one, but beware the zippers against the aluminum skin. Those scratches will come out, but not without considerable effort. If you are looking for a rain shelter, I'd look for something intended specifically for that. If you plan on hosting parties on rainy days then the NB is a great choice. But if it's just two of you and perhaps a pet or two, there have to be simpler options out there.

The InCamp is slightly smaller and one pound lighter than the Alcove. Based upon our experience camping in the desert with our Alcove, I wouldn't want a smaller shelter. For us it is pretty much the Goldilocks solution - just right during August for chasing the shadows under it throughout the day. We use the wing walls quite a bit, either to block wind or for a little privacy in wide open campsites.

The InCamp's awnings might make it a good choice. As you noted, I think the main drawback would that it is twice the price. But I suspect the awnings will add more bulk (I assume they need additional poles and stakes), so consider how much storage space you have in your tow vehicle and consider whether it is possible to store things in a manner that won't have you unpacking most of your vehicle just to get at something that you might only use on a rare occasion. But that isn't a big consideration if you tend to spend a lot of time in one location - it's more problematic if you are moving frequently.

14. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

We have the Alcove...it did pretty well, only with the shock cords, but it still ended up pooling water without attention. We may use it again someday for dry weather, it's easier for one person to put up... but we ended up getting a Gander Mtn 10x10 on sale. It has 3 walls which are easy to put on, and screen walls (4), not easy to put on. Two people can open it up, 3 o4 are better. One person could do it with a LOT of back and forth. And it's difficult to move unless you have 2. I suppose a taller person wouldn't have as much problem but I stand on my tiptoes to lift it up.

We sometimes use it with the walls instead of the side tent when privacy is not that huge of an issue. We also used it to take a sun shower when we were in a national park with no hookups, no shower. We just had an opening to a river where nobody would be. Except the college kids that showed up taking samples right as we finished. :)

15. Rick  Jerry

Rick Jerry Newbie

Rick & Sarah
    We have had the Cottonwood 12' x 12' for a couple years and really like it. It is pretty easy to setup, the wife and I are normally together so I can only attest to setup with two people but it only takes a few minutes and is pretty stable without stakes or guy lines. We have two side walls but only use them to block the wind or to give a little privacy. The loop and toggle attachment is pretty tight for the first several uses especially on a corner where you are trying to attach two side walls but the loosen up with use Overall I think this is the best option available, and we have the alcove, Northern Breeze and the Cottonwood.

Rick & Jerry

16. Rick  Sarah

Rick Sarah Novice

Rick and Jerry,
    Thank you so much for the information. I also ordered some side walls thinking I would use them for privacy when needed.
    Sarah