Rest area grades

Discussion in 'Campground & Park Reviews' started by mewton, Sep 7, 2011.

1. mewton

mewton Novice

Part of camping with a teardrop is road tripping and part of road tripping is rest stops. How do you feel about the rest areas in the different states you have traveled through? Here are a few of my grades from recent trips.
    STATE GRADE
    North Dakota A
    Beautiful rest areas, clean, easily accessible, good info.

Washington C
    Nice, clean, there are a few that definitely drag down the grade otherwise I'd have given a B.

California F
    Where are they? when they do show up they can be be a pain to access, dirty, graffiti ridden, limited parking, yuck.

Arizona D+
    After California Arizona was a huge improvement but the rest areas were still dirty, graffiti ridden, and overflowing with trash.

I wish I'd starting keeping track of this earlier because I had very good impressions of several states rest areas in the midwest but I can't keep them straight anymore.

It is strange, I've grown so accustomed to clean roads that driving in California was a shock. It reminded me of highways/freeways 30+ years ago when they started running those anti polluting commercials with the crying native american. Garbage was everywhere on the roads in southern California. Northern California was very nice in comparison.

2. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Arkansas and Texas seem to have good clean rest areas. Texas even has rest area's where RV's can park overnight.

Personally for some reason I'm afraid to stay overnight in a rest area - too much crime. BUT, that being said I'd like to hear some input from others - Bear especially.

We've parked in the back of Cracker Barrel (just overnight sleep over) and walked in for breakfast - no setup. But they have RV spots for overnighters. Also, most but not all Walmarts. Just for a few zzz's then move on (after purchasing something inside and in our case, use the restroom.) But for some reason I think rest areas are more dangerous - Walmarts and Cracker Bsrrels are well lit and rest areas don't have attendants, thus leading to more stranger danger I would THINK and have been cautioned against staying at in the 5th wheel. What do others think?

3. mewton

mewton Novice

I've been in several states that have spaces in rest areas for trucks RV's to stay for some ZZZ's. Even to the point of saying you can only stay eight or twelve hours. I've pulled into a couple walmarts for a few hours to sleep but I've been in a few I didn't even want to stay in long enough to shop (the walmart in Grants Pass OR was really creepy, we were solicited by crackheads coming and going). As far as sleeping in rest areas I've slept in a few just in my car (pre-raindrop days) but it's probably the same, fine in some areas, not so fine in others. I wouldn't think twice about staying in one in most of the Northwest, plains states or upper midwest, New Jersey not so much.

4. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Our WalMart stays have been few, but the only problem I ever had was a tornado came close, I could hear it and we skeeedaddled!

I agree about certain areas - the newer well lit W.M.'s are usually good. I'm all for well lit. But another problem arises - everyone wants to see the C.I. and I don't want people just wandering up and looking while I'm asleep - they may not realize we're in there! Note to self: Keep your gun handy...

5. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

So I keep hearing about staying at Wal Mart etc.. but what or how does it work? Protocols etc.. do you pull in at the far end of the lot, then go and check in to let them know or ask if it's ok and then just campout?? If checking in, with whom, customer service, manager??
    Just a wandering mind that wants to know what to do "Proper Like"
    thanks..

6. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

There's a book that tells you which WalMarts allow RV's (most do) only a few don't - the one on Central Avenue in Hot Springs DOES NOT. It's the manager's call.

What we've done: I google the WalMart in the town I'm going to by voice on my Iphone, get the number, dial it, ask if they allow RV's and if the answer is yes:

We pull in a well-lit Walmart for safety. This is ONLY for sleeping - leave the CI hooked up, crawl in and sleep - eat out or make a quick sandwich. No BBQ pits, lawn chairs, etc. NOT FOR CAMPING. Just a quick overnight if you're trying to make time to go on to the next place. 24 hr. WalMarts are best. There will most likely be a big rig RV or 18 wheeler parked out there somewhere. We don't visit with other folks, everyone just goes about their business and leaves you alone. We've done this in our 5th wheel but NOT in the CI - YET. Plan on it if we're making a long haul to Colorado, etc. You can actually google your question - overnight stays for RV's at Walmart and see what comes up - another website I used to be on a lot that discusses this sort of thing is rv.net. Great site. Hope this helps!

Oh! There are some cities that prohibit RV's in WalMart - not Walmart's policy! Also don't forget Cracker Barrel! They're awesome!

7. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

I wouldn't be too excited about staying at a WalMart around here. I've seen a few of the live-in, barely movable junk heaps that do use the lots and boy, we are talking total P. O. S. Plus some of the neighborhoods (accent on Hood) are questionable even in broad daylight. No way I would stay in the dark.

As Bill said, keep your gun handy.... no, wait, California is not an open carry state. Drat.

Sue and Jim

8. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

jsl:

The magic word here is CALIFORNIA! Most WalMarts are very clean and nice but like everything there are some that are not. And that wasn't Bill that said that about the gun - all posts are by me, Linda! "Texas Women Shoot Their Own Snakes!"

Oh, and I've seen Million Dollar rigs in WalMart! No POS's at all - not one!

9. starlight

starlight Novice

If you're in the San Diego area, avoid the Wal-Mart in El Cajon because the area can be questionable, but the one at Grossmont Center (in La Mesa) tends to be well-lit and a better area. That shopping center is by my parents. Anything South of the 8 is also kind of questionable. We haven't used any rest areas or Wal-Marts in the state yet, but will let you know if anything comes up that might be helpful. If you're down here, check out the sites on beach camping to see if you are coming in a late hour where you can snag a spot at the beach.
    --Stelena

10. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Linda, a girl after my own heart. My sister was a sniper-best in the force. Gotta love a gal with her own gun.

Sue

And I still wouldn't camp in a Walmart lot...anywhere. As my husband says, "Haven't you seen that 'People of Walmart' site?"

Yikes.

11. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  12. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Great info, thanks much.. will keep it in mind.
    Don't really like pulling off on the side road only to be shaken away, by Highway Patrol in the best case or ???
    Thanks for the info..

Like it:
    "Texas Women Shoot Their Own Snakes!" LOL... Ya-Hooo... kewl...

13. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

I'd like to claim it but I saw it on a big dually pick up truck a while back. Reminded me of my mother. When I was a baby we lived in the country by a pond that had a log in it that the water moccasins would crawl up on to sun themselves. Mom had 3 boys running around playing. So Dad bought Mom a 22 pump rifle. She challenged herself every morning to see how many she could kill before the others slid off into the water. Four! Mom was real quiet and demur...Don't Mess with Texas and Don't Mess with Mama!