Roku

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by Jean W, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am frustrated with the increasing cost of cable TV, channels moving to more expensive packages, and so many useless, unwatched channels have been searching for other options. Antenna will provide a lot of PBS, and two major networks, but not the local channel.

Learned about Roku Friday. One neighbor uses Roku for movies only, yet still has expensive cable package.

Does anyone here use Roku instead of cable?

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, I had the same endeavor but couldn't find anything to replace it and I pretty much have the TV on all day.

Tried "Boxee", went through 4 antennas for at least local channels, tried Comcast for the really, really basic but they don't have that anymore... so, I still have the basic Comcast cable.. and of course internet...

stuck also... will be interested in any solutions posted.. I'm sorta in a Valley so reception both phone and antenna TV is bad.. only got one station..

Good luck...

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We have friends who have done a combination of Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. Not sure about Roku. Friends have been happy with those 3 different (or combination of) options.

4. fpoole

Yah, but what do they do for Internet/web That's where I get hung up..

5. Jean W

Frank,

Any streaming channel (none cable TV) requires high speed internet.
    Mifi, satellite or DSL do not offer enough mbps.

6. fpoole

Ok, thanks Jean, good to know..

So I just dropped Comcast TV. They make it difficult as nothing online to do it, so you have to call. I did and told them what I wanted and while we were talking the Dropped the TV part... Mannn that was too fast... Geeesh...

Now over to HULU (I have prime and Netflix) to set that up..
    Comcast cable internet is $64... so cut it in half from $140 to $64.. then add the HULU.. heheh it's a start..
    sigh..

7. Janet G.

Janet G. Newbie

We ditched our cable and our landline almost two years ago. We installed a small TV antenna on our roof that picks up all the local channels and major networks broadcast locally (Fox, CBS, ABC,NBC, PBS). We have an XBox 360, soon to be upgraded (according to my husband) through which we access, Hulu and Amazon, XBox Video, etc. There are few shows we have to wait to watch, like the ones on HBO & Showtime that we have to buy/rent after the next season begins airing. Most shows one can buy in the current season. We prefer buying the shows we want on a al la carte basis instead of paying for a load of cable TV rubbish we would not watch anyway. We don't miss our cable box at all, and we REALLY don't miss the $130 bill each month!

8. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

After my contract with comcast expires next June, this is what I plan to do. I will keep comcast Internet but I am going to buy an antenna for local programming. I have amazon prime where I can watch shows and movies. I also have netflix. Most networks now have video players on their websites where you can watch their shows. I watch Masterpiece theatre this way. I am looking forward to not paying for the junk on cable.

9. fpoole

Yah, my only withdrawl is watching the 'Current News' live... like the Newshour, I gues I have to wait till it's put up and then stream it, but I'm not seeing any way to stream on TV-Hulu... will be picking up Roku tomorrow at Costco for $79.. maybe that will make a difference, dunno..

Sigh, I miss that part... Antennas don't work down here, one station, Spanish speaking.. I guess I could learn Spanish...?

10. Maureen

Maureen Newbie

We have the very very basic Comcast cable which is about $12 per month and Netflix streaming with 2 dvd's per month for $13. We also have a Verizon DSL line which runs about $22 per month. We have an HDMI connection from the iPad to the TV. Using the iPad and wifi router, we can watch any iPad apps (Netflix and PBS) on the TV without commercial interruptions. We had had no problems using the DSL line to stream things to the TV.

11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I don't know anything about this stuff, but can report no problems streaming netflix using a 6mbps dsl connection.

12. fpoole

Ok, got the Roku set up, dumped the Comcast tv, kept the internet, but Roku doesn't have Internet/website access... so trying to get the news streaming or going to YouTube for the PBS or anything for that matter is impossible.

TV shows/Netflix and the other paying sites/Hulu etc. work fine and in HD loos really well, but have to use the computer to view local news if they have streaming ability set up and have to wait till they post it...

After all that, I did find a streaming website, not accessible with Roku (Boxee does have the capability) by the website:
    www.weplaylive.tv

do a Google Search

and on Roku, Ginko? or some "Other Roku link does have a bunch of them, but the Gingo or Ginko whatever has BBC and a few others, CNN etc.. that are streaming live..
    Otherwise Ihave to use the computer to YouTube for the local station, King5.com...

Lessons learned...

HTH...

13. Jean W

I was aware that local news is not available on Roku, which is why I will also use a antenna for that source.

14. Dahava

Dahava Novice

I have a Roku, too, but prefer the Apple TV. So, we use the Roku in one of our kid's rooms. You've probably already seen this, but check Roku Channels dot com and there are some news channels available under the "Private Channels" tab.

Hope this helps!

15. fpoole

Solution found... (I think??)

I figure the local wouldn't be available and was counting on the antennas above but also counted on their websites as they have the Android Apps. So was surprised and another unit I've had for awhile Boxee but appears to have been bought out by Samsung so not sure what's happening there.

Anyway, Found Google TV which, if I'm reading it correctly has WWW web access, not just limited to the apps on the TV.

I did try the Private channels, found some international ones I wanted, BBC and others, but nothing for the local ones...

So, Have ordered the Vizio Co-star stay tuned... ordered through CostCo.. not in the stores..

Will update... but I think We're good... for now anyway, heheh
    Fun??? Verdict is still out..

16. Snudley

Snudley Novice

I'll be experimenting with the new Google Chromecast for streaming on my next trip whenever some wifi is availabe.

17. fpoole

Yah, I think it's ok.. I'm using Chrome on the computer for streaming and works no-Problem-o...

And Google claims to have a LOT of Apps... so It'll be interesting.. Roku 3 seemed a little limited... but who knows... will know in a couple of days...
    Will post any thing.
    thanks...

18. Jean W

Tomorrow is Roku go live day. Cable internet being installed. No more cable TV tomorrow.

19. fpoole

Jean,
    So I'm not missing anything here...Cable Internet installed? Huh? isn't it the same cable TV "Cable"... just discontinuing the TV part of the package??? (which is what I did) or do you have another solution?

I'm still using the Roku till the Vizio arrives next week and then I'll turn Roku back into CostCo for a refund. Well, that's the game plan.... for the next 5 min or so...

Post how you like it.. my only complaint was that it didn't have a webbrowser for other news website, like the locals... I'm guessing you have the local channels with the antenna... kewl..

20. Jean W

I had cable TV, used Mifi for internet. No idea what differences is between TV cable and internet cable, modem needs to be installed, someone has to switch switches. Will watch and learn from installer the differences.