Roku

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by Jean W, Sep 2, 2013.

1. We went off the cable grid almost 2 years ago and it's been awesome. We do keep our wireless internet and run two apple tvs. Also have digital antennaes so that our local channels (news, pbs, etc) all come in free and HD. We've subscribed to netflix the whole time and just began with hulu+ as well. They carry much less but newer things for far cheaper than buying indvidual seasons via itunes.

All in all, I'd bet we've saved around $1600-$1800 after ditching satellite/cable providers depending on a varying degree of itunes purchases over 2 years time.

2. jimmymack

jimmymack Newbie

I've had DirecTV (satellite) since shortly after it first came out and even though the cost has escalated over the years I think it would be less costly than some of the providers you've mentioned. For a new customer they seem to offer a lot of promotional rates also.

3. Snudley

Snudley Novice

I received my Chromecast two days ago and am happy to report that this thing rocks! Just a tiny dongle popped into the HDMI slot, plus power from either the tv's USB or a wall wart.

You use your phone or tablet to run it via wifi, and off you go. The streaming that was blocky and inconsistant on my XBOX is now consistent and clear. At 35 bucks, this will make a killer travel gadget for the camper.

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Wireless stuff...

*** Never mind,
    I just found out at Comcast that I have 300gig, basically unlimited, am at 65gig already which blows out the Verizon/Sprint option. Will look into the dish/sat but 300gig for $60mo not sure I can find that..
    Oh Well, Lessons Learned as they say..****

Ok, so here's what I'm not getting/understanding and I'm missing something here..

I currently have with Verizon, a smart phone Galax III and Nexus 10 Tablet. I have a Verizon Dongle/modem for the Hot Spot with 2-gig data plan. I don't use the smart phone while I'm home at all, just turn it off (have Jitterbug for phone - big numbers and simple to use under a different plan, not Verizon).

I dumped cable TV (returned the boxes) but kept Verizon's Cabled internet (same cable, just got rid of the Cable TV box) and am on that for my computers and networked into the TV. My Cable Internet modem has the wifi part so I get the Wifi when I turn on my other devices, Nexus 10 etc when needed.

I run the TV on all day from when I get up until I go to bed, it's background noise, and mainly used it for news and Netflix. Now with Hulu and Roku (returning next week for the The Chrome/Vizio box mentioned earlier).

So the part I'm having problems is I look for Internet Carriers, Verizon for a package deal or discount for having the phone etc. and they are wanting like $60 for 20gig data transfer, which to my way of thinking is about 6 Netflix movies (apx 3 gig each) at which time I run out of the plan. That doesn't even include the Hulu and Online News nor the regular internet on my computer.

So, what am i missing? Is it just that you all don't use it that much (way more than I should, I know) but ???

I see Sprint has an unlimited, 50 gig they start to get nervous, for around $60 or so. I had that initially for my "Camping" set up but couldn't get the connections out of the city so went with Verizon and had to get the Smart Phone which I like.
    I'm paying apx $60 for the Comcast Cable internet and believe it's around 50-gig, no idea how to track that...

So? -Dish?? or Satellite?

Lost in Wireless land...Hep Me Plueezzzz.. heheh
    Gawd whatever happened to the two tin-cans and a string...

thanks...

5. Frank this may answer, may not. We dont have dish or satellite. We keep a regular cable Internet subscription at our home that's connected to our landline provider. It's about $35/month here. Because we have no cable tv (used to have directv) and use appletv + iTunes Match and the cloud, anything we purchase at home immediately transfers over (on our home Internet plan ) amd in accordance with our ipads' memory storage. This transfer is not data driven but a flat monthly fee). So when we pull in while traveling, shows are already loaded on our iPad.

If we want to rent/buy a movie while traveling then it comes down to our iPad cell service which is a monthly, no contract, turn on and off at will fee at various prices. So sometimes we do this, sometimes we don't.

All in all we pay for home Internet, Netflix, Hulu, and occasionally an iPad cell service and we're never really without when traveling and at worst case scenario, paying a monthly fee of around $80, but most months it's more like $50. This is wifi and tv at home & on the road. Our annual iTunes Match fee is $30? $35? So another $2.5-$3 a month.

I hope this helps some. It can definitely be a confusing realm.

6. fpoole

Yah, thanks, I think?? heheh...

Cable Internet down here, with comcast is about $60.
    Verizon smart phone and 2gig Dongle for Hot spot Router about $130. As I mentioned, I don't use the Phone for phone more for Pics and uploading and the apps. Phone would be a back up... if I knew how to work it....heheh.. one time it rang, didn't know how to answer.. No one has the number so it's a spammer, no big deal.

I download any stuff I need for the trips, recently just the books. I usually have the Tablet (Nexus 10) and a laptop that I can store stuff on if need be and I'm still working off of DVD for the trailer TV/DVD.. I just seems both packages could be lower.. but me thinks I'm stuck until the contract expires..
    Sigh, Lessons Learned I guess...

thanks for the info, will chew on it for a while and see if there is another avenue... I have the Amazon Prem service with Cloud, but eventually I have to download if I understand it correctly..

thanks...

7. jimmymack

jimmymack Newbie

I think we've all become hostages of the communications industry and their befuddling array of packages, bundles, and data plans. We're all kind of groping for ways to lower the monthly amount we're paying for these services that didn't even exist not that long ago that now we can't seem to live without.
    A friend of mine lived in the middle of the Ocala National Forest in Florida, and before satellite service was widely available he couldn't get much of anything as far as television reception. He spent about $500 and had a 50 ft antenna and a tenna-rotor system installed that rotated the antenna to seek signals. All of a sudden he's getting stations from as far away as Georgia and the FL panhandle. So this might be an option if you're just interested in getting broadcast stations. It would be tough to live without cable programming though.

8. fpoole

Yah, I'm missing the Cable availability and selection. I'm used to just coming home flipping on the tv and have it right there.. not spend 20 min trying to find it somewhere and then finding out you can't... but I shall persist...

It's all about getting used to what's available and what's not and then working around it...
    Sigh, just taking longer than I would have thought...

On to the next one, Googles box coming tomorrow... Roku going back...

9. fpoole

Google (Vizio) CoStar - like it. ROKU going back.

Got the Google TV and it's pretty nice. Still needs some work on it but basically the Chrome browser allow me to access the Live Streaming news, local and International which is what I was looking for.

With that and HULU (not tied into the Google TV yet) and Netflix, I think we're good to go.

The remote is good, as it can by synced up to the Blue Ray and TV volume etc.. I'm new to the Touch pad and in trying to navigate around from one thing to another has a learning curve, but believe it will do what I needed to be done.

Any way, the Google thing is better than anything I've tried so far... sigh, until the next thing that comes along...

Link to Google TV

Cheers...

10. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Are you able to get BBC America, HGTV, & the science channel? Outside of PBS, that is pretty much all we watch. Might talk Mick into this as long as we can keep our network the way it is. I really don't like what we spend on cable either, and now that we have Laddy, we hardly watch anything anymore.

11. fpoole

Sarah,
    Well, probably...
    BBC is available but the Science channel, not sure which one that is, Science Discovery or???

The verdict is still out on the Vizio setup but it only applies to the Vizio TVs I believe. I'm finding there are others like
    G-Box Midnight MX2 Android 4.2 and I've just put that on my "Wish List" as I'm not convinced the Vizio is going to work correctly. Vizio has been sort of "Iffy" with quirks at times and doesn't seem to be corrected. (2 TVs, 35 and 45")

Best way of testing to see what you want that is to go onto your computer, go to the particular website you want and view the "Online Streaming". If it's what you want then that's what you'll get only on the TV. BBC is all over the place as are others, CNN, MSN, Fox etc.. and 'Al Jazeera America'.. CNBC etc.

If you also use local channels go to their websites and see if they have them there and try it out on your computer. Usually it's under "Live Streaming" or something along that line.

Just a heads up. With HD they do come in clear, but there are some glitches in a slight Stuttering and stalls at times but if you try it on your tablets or Computer, that's how it will probably look on the TV (not 'Tow Vehicle' this time, I keep thinking TV-TV when I see that acronym heheh not Tow V...)

I have to wait for the Streaming files to be loaded, frustrating at PBS as they have it broken down by segments at first, like 3min for this topic, 4min for that one and they eventually load in the Full Version. It's annoying at times but you just reset the viewing times. (good news is that they keep the files up so you can review older ones if missed)
    Example:
    PBS Newshour - I normally watched at 6pm right after the BBC America at 5:30. Can't watch it until 7pm or so if they get it posted then. Usually it's about 3-4 hrs later. You also have to move around to the website, you can ADD Fav and bookmarks that makes it easier.

As I mentioned, I use the news more than anything and if you don't watch TV programs, live series nor movies, then think of the "TV Box Player", as they are called, as a big web browser. It has to have the Browser available, most do not.

The key is that they do have Access to a browser and can access the internet. Without that, like Roku, you can only use the different apps provided, can't go to the 'outside' world.

Bottom line, if I wasn't concerned about $$ I would stay with the Cable. But??? I'm now saving apx $70mo which is 2 night's in La-la Campsite... so working it out...

Hope That Helps (HTH)

Sigh, On to the next one... heheh

12. I am just now reading this entire thread.

SarahNell and Robert: When you say...

...are you saying that you are getting your internet through your conventional copper telephone wires (sometimes called DSL?) If so, are you able to get enough band-width to stream movies from Netflix or whomever else you are using?

Our cable bill is over $200/month. It includes cable tv / internet/ and telephone - but it still rankles me at how much we pay for these services. I would love to explore alternatives as you two have done - but I must confess to loving my streaming Netflix!

Frank: It looks like you have already returned your Roku device, but I recently purchased two of them (Roku 3s I think) and LOVE them. They have been a fantastic way to get my existing Netflix and Hulu accounts on my TV. I love the ability to plug in headphones to the remote for private listening. I have thought about what it might be like to take my Roku on the road with me in the CampInn - but my experience with camp grounds that have WiFi has been an experience of VERY SLOW speeds - no way would I be able to stream a movie there.

13. fpoole

Heyya Rick,
    Yep, Roku3 has left the building...

Don't misunderstand, it's great and everything worked great. I have Netflix and Hulu accts and they worked fine.
    But???
    Try going to PBS Newshour or a local TV station, up here it's King5 News...
    You can't....
    Now HULU has a lot of news stations, Ajazeera USA, CNN etc.. but I was looking for Live-streaming since I don't want to click on a new clip every 3-4 minutes. Or try to get to the CampINN forum.
    You can't with Roku3, but I understand it is coming out, next version or upgrad??, with an "internet Browser" which will allow you to.

So I kept the cable internet, have Verizon 2gb phone & Modem for traveling, but as you probably know 2gb in streaming terms is a commercial?? heheh.

I was shopping around for a Wireless connection, but the Cable internet goes up to 300gb and last checked a week or two ago, I was already to 65gb.

Sprint has an unlimited one but believe they start getting nervous at 50gb.

So for now, sticking with Cable internet for home us at apx $60mo
    Saving some $75-85 per month.

Don't get me wrong, working with internet connections on those "Not Packaged" sites with a browser is not easy and you have to put up with glitches, dropped programs, connections etc..

So far, working it...

Oh also, you're at the mercy of the Browser updates. As I'm finding out now, the TV browser, Chrome, is about 10-15 versions behind the computer versions and Flash is loosing a footing, going to HTML 5 so if the TV Streaming station upgrades to HTML and drops flash, you can hear the voices, no picture.

Good news is that they are sloooowly coming out with upgrades that "Supposedly" fix it.. heheh not so sure on that...

Hope that helps..

14. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

At this point, I am satisfied with Roku. Went from Verizon Mifi to internet cable, dumped cable TV, to streaming and rabbit ears.
    Found I needed to have access to local news, thus rabbit ears.

Paying for 2 Roku Premium channels, HULU plus and netflix streaming.

Jean

15. fpoole

Yah, Roku would probably have worked ok, but Local channels aren't available to me in the location I'm at. down in a "Gulley" so to speak... already went through 3 sets of antenna.. heheh..

I seemed to do everything in 3's...

16. Remember when it didn't use to be this complicated? I fascinate my kids with stories of growing up with only three network TV channels. Everyone watched the same show at the same time or else you didn't get to see it at all. The next day at school, you could know for certain that your schoolmates had also seen the same show the previous night.

17. fpoole

ok,so here's a question... will roku or like devices work on the TD TV? with a KOA or something wifi?? not sure it would work with a cable hookup... don't think so.. will try it when my "Next" try aat getting this thing set up AT HOME...
    JUST a wondering mind that wanted to know...

Now my brain hurts...

18. Frank - theoretically it could work with a campground WiFi. However, my practical experience has been that WiFi speeds at campgrounds are Soooooo slow, I often end up turning off my devices' WiFi and using the comparatively much faster cellular connection.

19. fpoole

yeah, Ijust had to do that this morning... slow if at all oh well something to try...

20. DreamBanger

DreamBanger Newbie

Your lucky. I have a data cap on my internet cable provider so i cant use the roku to stream hulu and netflix. But the roku3 is pretty nice according tohttp://www.thehonestreviews.com/video/roku-3-streaming-player-review/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016