Running the Dometic on 12V When on Shore Power

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Randy, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Did I read on here somewhere that you shouldn't run the fridge off of 12volt when you are connected to shore power?

Thanks,

Randy

2. birder526

birder526 Novice

Yes! Use 110v for shore power hook up and 12v when you are traveling and have the 7 pin hooked up!

3. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

+1. The reason for this is when you are on shore power the built in battery charger is working to charge the battery. The Dometic draws close to the capacity of the charger and it is designed for charging batteries, not running apppliances. In this circumstance, the charger can overheat and may be damaged.

The Dometic can have both power cords connected. When you do this it will run on 110V when it is present and on the 12 V when it is not.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  4. Towbert

Towbert Novice

Ok - got it. Question - Does the same principal apply when charging with our 12V Zamp 120W Solar Charger?

5. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I would say it is fine. The Zamp is designed to charge and run a load at the same time.

6. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

This is a good tip, and should be put in the "sticky" file.

-Al

Kevin S likes this.
  7. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Just another reason to have the Solar. My Zamp 120 watts keep my Dometic running for about three days before I run my battery too low. Dave

8. AlCat

Dave - your comment concerns me (though maybe you misspoke). I can run my Dometic for three days WITHOUT using my solar. If I use my solar, my battery stays full, even when running the Dometic.

(of course, YMMV as it's dependent on ambient temperature and how much sunlight is falling on the panels)

If you have good sun exposure and it's not 110 degrees, but your battery is showing less juice at the end of each day, your battery/panel set up may not be functioning properly

-Al

9. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Al, My memory must be failing or my controller (solar not mine). It has been so long since we have seen the sunshine I swear it is a UFO. It has rained every day since the first of Dec. A new record for Portland & Salem, Oregon.

Thanks I will get my trust volt/ohm meter and check out what I am getting. Dave

10. AlCat

:)

I hope it's just a brain-fart, and neither your controller nor your memory. The rain can do that to us!!

11. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

The dometic has a High Med and Low setting and senses when battery level reaches an Internal predetermined amp level. I found this out when it was shutting off when my battery level dropped below 12.5. This is a built in setting which keeps it from totally discharging your battery...I now have mine set on low...I would have to check the manual but think it is 10.5...

12. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

This has all been good information for me. I was using my fridge plugged into the 110 on the trailer and just plugging the trailer in. Now I am running a cord to the fridge and one to the trailer. Hopefully this will help everything last longer. I really like the dometic and it holds a lot. I haven't really figured out the temps yet so make sure to put stuff in the fridge that won't hurt to freeze. I put all veggies, fruits and boiled eggs in the ice chest. I'm getting pretty good at it.