CA State Park San Simeon SP - no water

Discussion in 'West' started by eileenpaine, Mar 28, 2014.

1. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

For those west coast campers -we have reservations to stay at San Simeon SP, by Hearst castle on the way home from the IRG in July. We got a phone call from State Parks stating that due to the drought there will be NO water available, No showers and they are bringing porta-potties.
    Since we will be using the park on a one night/in transit basis before we get home, it is fine for us. Probably a whole lot less crowded!

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I sure wish we could share some of our rain with you. I would gladly send it south for a bit, if I could!

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sarah, be-careful what you "Wish" for as I'm sure they will gladly take it... heheh...
    sadly PNW can run short of water very quickly.. apparently the ground doesn't absorb or retain it, something about clay under-soil, so it just runs off..

4. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

There is a clay layer in certain parts of the valley here in Oregon. Where I am, no clay layer. My parents have a miserable time digging too deep. The fruit trees in the orchard also had trouble planting deep roots and struggled with that. If the snow pack stays good (which it is looking ok in most parts but not all), we should be alright at this point. Plus, we have had more rain fall than our average despite the really dry January. It all seems to be coming at once and is causing a lot of trouble. I was nervous in January. I am no longer nervous about lack of water. Just wish we had cisterns to collect our run off! Man, that would be great.

I am realizing I know way too much about our current weather. Time to get lost in a book for a bit!

5. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Susan and I noticed that the campground and public restrooms were closing and being replaced with porta potties as we moved north. Don't know if all the rain that is falling now will effect that or not.

Michael