Satellite Internet/Broadband

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by Mark & Casandra, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

We are big Internet users. We like to keep up with email, Facebook and we like to watch some family shows on Netflix and Hulu. Not interested in regular network TV.

Since we use the Internet so much we want to avoid getting service that is limited.

Anyone found a solution that would work for us? Perhaps a mobile version of the Hughes Network (Satellite) or something similar...

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

On our latest road trip I was pleased to discover that my iPhone 4S will act as a hotspot. This meant WiFi for the laptop. Good for catching up (and doing online homework) but not for watching movies.

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, it's a tricky one. My Verizon, Glxy3 has a"hot spot"that I use a lot. Phone should be plugged in as it I'd a power drain. I also have the dongle. But the catch is limited to the ceiling. Sprint has unlimited access but spotty access.

4. fpoole

Updated Wifi rig:

[​IMG]

I have Verizon now, for the coverage. It seems to be the best so far. I've had it for about 18 months now with a Verizon Glxy3 and the Data Dongle (DD).

I didn't use the phone at all, I have "Old Farts" Jitterbug phone for calls with answering. Big numbers, simple YES/NO menu and I like it, KISS factor

So my Verizon was running about $130-140 mo. Way too high. Just dumped the phone service, paid the Canx penalty and kept the phone with all my apps, Geesh what a rip off I did keep my DD-Hotspot with Verizon, $50 for 5gigs, cheapest one they had.

Game plan is this:
    I use the Jitterbug for calling/voice messaging at home and out n about or "Aboot?" if I'm traveling north of US.

I Plug my DD into the truck 12v, it makes an excellent internet connection, has a small magnet antenna I can put on roof to stick for better pickup. Hotspot area is about 30-50' depending with works just fine.

While I take pics with my phone when out and I was usually able to upload from my location on a trail or somewhere, I'm finding more and more places are offering their own free wifi, so the uploads to websites can wait an hour or two to upload. The phone will keep trying to upload and as soon as it fines an open, wifi, it will. Some rest stops, 'Mac Office' (as Jenn says) and KOA campsites and more all have wifi and I just use that.

While I haven't tried it yet, I'm told that I can drive with the DD on without using much data. and No, I don't do data while driving it, but it will download to the phone anything that is needed and upload as I take photos along the way.

So far, thinking, it should work. heheh, and yes, I did hesitate in saying that cause we all know what it means to forecast the best case scenario ..

Anyway, Pat, was asking "How?" so thought I would update this...

Pic above show sorta, I thought I had a better one, the big laptop set up. I have to have power to run it, but it uses the DD-hotspot in the truck. Works fine

5. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Frank thanks for all the information - it has me thinking I assume I will retire someday and then I won't have the school phone so can rethink what I use.

6. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

We changed from Sprint to Verizon to get better voice and data coverage. It has been a great improvement in both 3G and 4G. Verizon has much better coverage in small towns and rural areas, which is where most campgrounds are.

We didn't get the TV option in the trailer, so for internet service, we rely on campground WiFi when we can get it, and use our Verizon date connection when WiFi is unavailable, or lousy, which is pretty often. In anticipation of traveling more extensively, we added the Verizon "Jetpack 4G" to our account.
    [​IMG]

This device is a router that picks up the Verizon date signal and converts it to WiFi, which we connect to a laptop and/or our phones. I have found it works better than using the phone as a hotspot because it can sit on top of the trailer and avoid the shielding of the aluminum skin, while our phones stay with us in the cabin. In rainy conditions, we can put it somewhere in the shelter. With a 3G signal it does pretty well, even streaming video. With 4G, it rocks, with fast browser page loading and clear, unbroken video streaming.

We have Dish Anywhere at home, so we can sit in the cabin and stream live TV or program and play recordings on the DVR, just like we were sitting on the sofa in our house. Of course, we use WiFi first, if it is decent, but it's not uncommon to get much better internet through the Jetpack than through the campground's WiFi. If there's no cell coverage, we take that as a sign we should be reading more.

The cons to this are it costs $10/month extra on our phone bill and it counts against our monthly data allotment. If we go over, we'll pay extra. So far, that hasn't been a problem. We have never used more than about half of our data allotment. I have the Dish Anywhere app on my phone, too, so sometimes I stream on it, which is a smaller data throughput. We've had it a few months now, and so far it works great. The device has a rechargeable battery that lasts a long time. It charges with the same mini USB cables as our phones.

7. fpoole

Updating: Verizon data package.

So far so good..

I canx the phone part with Verizon, had to pay the term fee and switched to the data only plan with my Data dongle/hotspot, heheh hmmm... to $50 for 5 gig.

Hooked it up last trip. Actually, I have the Magnetic antenna, apx 5" tall and put it on the roof of truck sort of wrapped around the "On Star" antenna (deactivated) and drove down the freeway/highways at up to apx 75mph, stuck like glue. Meanwhile, Smart phone, Glax III, was updated all the time or if lost connection, re-established when it got a signal. Uploaded photos to FaceBook/Google, and just left it on the whole time. Out in MacKay, ID, not a big city area. Wouldn't think I'd get any reception at all.

At the campsite, just left it on in the truck, has a hotspot of around 30' or so, and better reception than the phone hotspots, Powered by truck battery 12v. heheh, just left it on the whole time and on the drive back. 5 days. used 1.3gig, have 3.7 to go and it's at the end of month now, so 5gig is going to work. Didn't download any Netflix movies, but short clips from FB and streamed smoothly..

I like it.
    I looked into upgrading to the dongle/pack pictured above but I'd have to buy it for some $180 until Jan 15 when my contract expires. I'd want an antenna option. I just run the dongle on the passenger side floor, antenna on the roof, wire running along the door seal so you can't hardly tell it's there. Wire is fine with the closed door as the rubber seal won't crimp it at all and it is recommended to do that.

For me it's much better. I never used GalxIII as a phone, but I can text and probably Skype it if I had someone to call. I have some left over Skype minutes I can use and buy if I do need it.. heheheh... and I still have my Jitterbug for phone stuff...

Anyway, the data package is good... and leaving the hotspot running 24/7 doesn't use much at all. Not enough to worry about...

Whew, saved some $80 mon... and that helps...

fun...