Seals

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by GhostOrchid, Oct 22, 2015.

1. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

We have the luxury of enough garage space to keep our 550 "inside" when we're not on the road.

So, I have this theory that keeping the hatch up and the doors ajar (including the little access doors to the FSB) while she's garaged will extend the life and usefulness of the seals because they're not being flexed and compressed while stored inside.

Adorable Wife thinks this is a silly idea. Any thoughts? Cary?

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

It is not strange at all. Gaskets do get compressed over time. We see it, and example is on an older trailer the hatch locking handle will turn easier then when new because the gasket is compressed some. Your logic is sound to me.

Cary

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I can vouch for the easier turning handle. We were driving along on the interstate earlier today, doing about 70, when I noticed the galley hatch 'flapping' in the rear view mirror. I forgot to lock it. Luckily the tables, cooler, and everything on the shelves were still all in place. I usually ALWAYS lock the door - I won't forget it again!

4. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

The seal compression concern is probably true with any vehicle. But, what about the potential critter issue you might have if you leave doors & lid open? Every fall we have issues with mice moving inside up north.

5. Ken & Peggy

Agreed. I'll risk PSF (premature seal failure) to keep the critters at bay.

6. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

A manifestation of Cary's third law of teardrop aerodynamics. You're in that zone where the patented Camp Inn airfoil is generating lift. This why the tires never wear out.

7. Ken & Peggy

You weren't driving fast enough, Jenn...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Actually I think she may have been driving too fast. At about 63mph a 550 starts to get a bit aero dirty and settles down on the road. Rides smoother but has "normal" tire wear after that. At 60mph the tire wear is really low like GhostOrchid pointed out. The 560 is more of a high speed wing so does not get as aero dirty at interstate speeds but also does not generate as much lift at 60mph.

9. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hmmm....
    Well, I noticed, doing 85mph in Wyoming, the TD, start to fly like a kite...
    Really kewl, gliding and weaving like a gull in the air...
    Soaring like...

fun...
    Who needs tires...

10. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

You are so funny Frank. Who needs tires? I've been waiting to hear an update on your preparations and adventures.
    My daughter is here from Montana anxiously waiting for her 1959 winnabago to be reskined. Former owner had cut some holes for accessories and additions that really didn't make sense. When they got the skin off it was in really good shape underneith. some repairs on the corners and new insulation. Should be like new. Then she has to make it over all those mountain passes before the snow flies too much.