Short Queen?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Jim Carter, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

So I have been looking at sheets and Camping World and Amazon both list a sheet size of "Short Queen". But I can't tell from dimensions listed on the Camp Inn web site and for the short queen sheets if that is what is needed for the bed.

Comments?

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

A "short queen" is an invention of the RV industry for a bed that is not as long as a standard queen, made to fit in the constrained spaces in an RV. The Camp Inn mattress utilizes a standard domestic queen size fitted sheet for the bottom. The top sheet works best with a single bed size, the queen is too wide and the edges get caught in the doors. I purchased a queen size set with fitted bottom, and flat top. I trimmed off about 8" from one side of the top sheet (made shoe bags from the cut off scrap) and hemmed, and sewed the now smaller top sheet to the bottom of the fitted sheet. All says tucked in and neat.

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

RV mattresses are not a full sized queen, they are a "short" queen. That is why camping supplies would have these shorter versions. We do not use short mattresses in our campers, they are full length (78") queen sized mattresses. Regular sheet length.

Cary

4. Jim Carter

OK. Thanks for the quick responses.

5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

We just use two sleeping bags zipped together. The mattress is very comfortable, not to soft or too hard.

6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

A regular queen fitted sheet and a full flat sheet works perfect.

Jim Carter likes this.
  7. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

I realize this is an old thread, but maybe someone else has thought this out better than I.

The CampInn bed (called a queen) actually comes with mattress dimensions of 78” x 58” x 4” thick. The difficulty is matching fitted mattress pads and bottom fitted sheets to our mattress.

The bedding market sell primarily a Regular Queen size is 80” x 60”, which has many competitors and ranges of quality and materials. However, a Short Queen, 75” x 60”, can be found, but with less competitors and material options. Except for Encasement covers, I have not found mattress pads and bottom fitted sheets for our mattress exactly (excluding an expensive tailor-made item).

Comparing our 78” x 58” mattress, the Regular Queen is 2” longer, while the Short Queen is 3” shorter. Both the Regular and Short Queen are 2” wider than our mattress.

Consider that fabric can be manipulated (stretched / distorted) to fit over objects (like me waring a XL shirt instead of a 2XL). What if we focus on surface areas of mattresses instead of length and width dimensions?

Our mattress is 4524 square inches (78x58),
    Regular Queen is 4800 square inches (80x60), and
    Short Queen is 4500 square inches (75x60).

The Regular Queen is 6.1% larger, but Short Queen is only 0.5% smaller than our mattress.

I have found that the Regular Queen (both mattress pad and fitted sheet) fit loosely and tend to bunch up after sleeping. Six percent extra fabric with the Regular Queen is quite a bit. I haven’t tried the Short Queen yet, but wouldn’t a size that is only 0.5% smaller tend to stay taunt and stay in place better? It’s not like any of us have more than a 6” thick mattress (including topper), so the elastic portion of the fitted bedding will curl around the mattress.

I’ve ordered the Froli Star System and a Tri-Fold 78x58 mattress (4” thick, 1-1/2 memory foam on top of 2-1/2 traditional foam), but not a new mattress pad or sheets.

Cary is correct that the CampInn is not a Short Queen (and I’m glad the mattress is 78”, not 75”), but how does he deal with the looseness and bunching factor of using Regular Queen bedding? Anybody with Short Queen experience?

8. Jim Carter

Well after three seasons of using regular queen sized sheets (both top & bottom) we are happy with the result. We are not fussy and have not noticed bunching up of sheets and our fitted sheets stay taught as one expects. Maybe the brand we use (which I do not know) has extra tight elastic. YMMV. Our comforter is a twin sized one to avoid excess material on the sides.

9. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

I got a set of these to hold our (waterproof) mattress pad to the mattress, but they would work for the fitted sheet as well: Finally a USA made fitted sheet strap that Holds Up to years of use that attach and hold tight to any size mattress and all brands and sizes of fitted sheets. Introducing the Patented Holdup Sheet Stay-Downs™ corner and criss-cross sheet tightening straps.

I've got them criss-cross under the mattress. They're pretty adjustable (velcro) so you can get a good fit. Putting them on is a two-person job - but usually it's just me, climbing under the mattress :)

I practically turn somersaults, I toss and turn so much, so I know about bunched up sheets. I had a high thread count set of queen sheets on the bed for a few seasons but recently switched to a set of percale sheets from Target - the fabric is a bit stiffer and doesn't seem to bunch up as much - also seems a bit cooler when it's hot and sticky. This is the brand I have - generous amount of elastic and comes packaged very nicely, too: Printed Cotton Percale Sheet Set - Opalhouse™

When I make the bed, I make sure to put the tip of the fitted sheet at the bottom corner of the mattress (if that makes sense) - that stretches the sheet a bit and the tight fit of the mattress in the cabin seems to keep things fairly taut.

It's been several years, but the short queen sheets I've seen (my parents camper van has a decidedly short queen) were a skanky cotton-poly blend/microfiber or cost an absolute fortune. Probably more selection now. I got them a set of the corner straps (their mattress is also their couch) and it definitely helps (criss-cross is better).

Old_Prospector likes this.
  10. Old_Prospector

11. Old_Prospector

Thanks for your reply. I tried to send a Like, but something strange happened. Anyway I was prospecting for answers (hence my user name), and your answer was truly appreciated.

Freight Dog likes this.
  12. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

13. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

years ago someone posted a link to these sofa bed sheets:
    300TC Cotton Sofabed Sheets

we've got two sets and have used them for years. We don't use anything but the standard CI mattress and they fit that very well. They've also lasted well, with something more than 230 nights sleeping/reading/drinking/eating on them. I'd recommend these sheets.

14. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

We like a bottom fitted sheet (queen) and a duvet and duvet cover. Depending on the time of year it's easy to change the duvet. This way there's no hassle tucking in a top sheet. Also if nature calls in the middle of the night, its easy to slip out of bed without disturbing your mate.

I also carry a small canvas drop cloth from Home Depot which I use when on the road. I coverup the bedding with it before loading any miscellany into the trailer to keep the bedding clean. Once I get to camp I just fold and toss the drop cloth into the TV.

Kevin S, FL Carol and Chuckwagon like this.
  15. FL Carol

FL Carol Newbie

Personally I like the knit jersey sheets. Like a t-shirt, they are forgiving with configuration, and work well with my mattress topper. I used this combo in my old TD, and now in my CI. Comfy!!

16. Old_Prospector

Well with the good advise and insight of others, I ended up purchasing full queen size sheets (fitted, flat and pillow cases). I went with 100% cotton and wash it out of the box with the water setting on very hot and then through the dryer. I wonder if the sheets had been prewashed, but the fitted sheet covered the 58 x 78 mattress just fine. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and help.

During this project I installed the Froli Star System for under mattress support, replacing a hypervent. Also, a new trifold 4" thick mattress by Inofia (2-1/2" high density foam topped with 1-1/2" memory foam) was installed. The trifold serves two purposes, ease of accessing the bottom storage bins and making up the bed with clean sheets. If interested, I have written up the installation experience of the Froli Star System on the forum, search Froli to find.

Kevin S likes this.
  17. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thanks Old Prospector! Saved me some research and gave an answer I sought elsewhere.

Is this the thread, btw? Thanks highly useful.
    Hypervent Vs Froli

18. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Dropcloth: such a simple but good idea! TY!

19. We have a queen size fitted sheet on the mattress. We each have our own comforter. They are full size so they overlap some. Got the idea from someone on the forum and it has worked good for us. We don’t have to fool with tucking a top sheet in this way and we are plenty warm enough on cold nights. She keeps a couple of fleece blankets in there in case you need more. I rarely use it, but she will.