Side Tent Poles

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by jtmiyake, Oct 1, 2017.

1. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Newbie

I was getting tired of fussing with the side tent poles so I started to look at alternatives. My first search came up with telescoping poles from Cabelas. They collapse with a clamp similar to hiking poles. The are made of steel and are 4lbs each. Best advantage is they are only $13 each. The alternative was aluminum poles from REI. They are in three pieces and assembled like regular tent poles with the bottom poles slide out with a ball latch for about 1.5 ft of height adjustment. They are only 1lb each. Disadvantage is they are $35 each. As usual, I go for quality over price so I got the 8ft REI poles. Tried them out this weekend and they work great with no fuss. Plus, they still fit in the sidea tent pole bag. 20170930_120808.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Tom & Diana P, Evan and dustinp like this.
  2. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear jtmiyake:

We love our REI 8 foot poles. Ours have stood up very well in heavy wind. I think you will like them also. It seems CampInn owners prefer quality!

Lorie

3. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Novice

If they are totally collapsed, what is the total length of the longest section? Thanks R

4. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Newbie

I am guessing each section is about 28 inches. They are packed in the trailer and not easily accessible. I keep the bottom 2 poles attached to allow both poles to fit in the original side tent pole bag.

If you are referring to the shortest length when assembled, it is 78 inches