Side Tent PVC Frame

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by pat walsh, Apr 27, 2011.

1. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

I could not find the old information on this frame that Steve Eastman designed and Evan added pictures for -- but I built ours today. It was cheap and easy and we are now ready if only the cold would cease. We had a bit of snow today ugh.

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2083&Searchpage=1&Main=357&Words=PVC&Search=true#Post2083

This is one project I might be able to tackle on my own. :)

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Joan, I made ours last year, and if I can do it, you can do it.

4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Joan,
    thanks for adding the link for some reason "duh" I couldn't find it.

5. Ahoy Mates!

Ahoy Mates! Novice

Made a frame the day before leaving for our 2nd adventure on June 1st. The first nignt we used it at Mark Twain SP in MO and were pleased how much easier set up was. The second nignt at Indian Cave SP in Eastern Nebraska it was essential due to the crushed stone surface which was packed. Nights 3 & 4 in Lake McConahay SRA near Ogallala NE was on blacktop but the front edge needed to be staked due to strong winds. Fortunatley we were positioned on the edge so all worked fine. The only problem with construction was how quick the PVC cement set up. One elbow got a little off angle but was close enough. :blush:
    Dave

PS Were off to Meuller SP in Divide CO in the morning with our 3 and 5 yr old grandkids for 4 days...wish us luck :crazy:!

6. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

I set my side tent up over the weekend in the garage to measure up for constructing a frame. My trailer is SUV height so there is no point constructing the extension pieces as I can never use the rear peg out points at any time. If the trailer wheel is on the ground on the tent side which is always going to be likely depending on site layout restrictions this leave me with some spare material between the middle and rear tie out points. I can custom measure my extensions to overcome this if necessary.

My concern is do the poles stay in place when the PVC frame is installed as without it they slip under the trailer. I'm hopping that the frame will prevent this on hard ground with no peg outs. I did consider making an external frame as I was also concerned with the internal frame rising up from the bottom as there are no loops to keep it in place. Has anyone else considered this.

I also have a pole issue as while camping they filled with water and although we got as much out as possible this has caused some rusting on the poles in storage of only a week. Has anybody considered drilling holes in the base to let water escape?

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Good idea with the holes in the poles. Mine rusted out really bad and wouldn't even open. I pulled them apart and cleaned with wd40 and steel wool. Then I sprayed lithium grease inside the poles. Many rain storms later and the problem hasn't happened again,

The poles stay in place well if you put the bases into the lil cups on the tent. The PVC base is genius and if it's set up just right, stakes are a rare necessity.

8. Ahoy Mates!

Ahoy Mates! Novice

Matt,
    I like the lithium grease idea! Our poles corroded after the first rain also.
    Barry & Annie,
    We put our frame in before attaching any straps which helps locate everything. The side poles haven't moved because the ground is usually has enough friction to prevent sliding. A bit of weight in the front corners will keep the front from lifting unless the wind gets too high

9. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Sounds good I will be purchasing some PVC today so hopefully I Can try this out tonight. I like the grease idea for the poles they are not the easiest design to start with and when rusted and sticky they are a real pain.

10. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

We use bricks in addition to the PVC frame. We carry 4 in the front storage box, and place them at the 4 corners, just inside the pvc frame. The helps keep the tent secure and the poles from moving -even in wind.

11. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

I like the brick or maybe a water bottle in each corner. Our poles rusted too - I cleaned up with steel wool and then sprayed with silicone. They slide easily now. Drilling drain holes seems like a good idea.

12. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

We use 4 empty gallon bottles,fill them up when we set up and empty them when we leave it works great. Steve :)

13. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

I am thinking of giving up on this one Three stores and no one carries all the fittings the last store assistant tried to convince me that I needed to use quick compression fittings at $9 a go as they did not sell any other type.

I will persevere but so far Home depot Kent and Canadian Tire have all failed to deliver.

14. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I used 1/2" PVC instead of 3/4". Built two for about 10 bucks. Try home depot or lowes? The 1/2" is cheaper and fits in the bag easier.

15. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

We didn't glue anything because the peices fit tightly.

I asked my sister to buy the parts for me. She went to home depot with the directions I had printed and (not having a clue what pvc was and I didn't think to tell her)she went to home depot and asked where the tent department was (hee hee). The guy she talked to had a good laugh. Then he took her to the plumbing department and she came back with all the right parts - no problem.

16. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I wish home depot had a tent or camping dept. That would be awesome. A tent is sorta a home?!