Sink strainer

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by ajs777, Jun 8, 2012.

1. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

What are you using as a sink strainer? We're afraid of dropping something in the sink and it work it's way through the drain. Everything we've come across is too deep or too wide to fit the drain flange.

2. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Carol uses IHOP, Subway and Outback to keep the sink clear and clean! At least that's the plan if Sept ever gets here!
    Mike

3. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

I can see how that would work… hang in there, September will be here before you know it.

4. slumry

slumry Novice

We use a metal mesh sink strainer that has a rounded conical shape. I think the one we use is one of the smaller sizes offered. To make it fit you may have to push in the cone part a bit.

Eve Crowley likes this.
  5. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

I saw a set of three strainers at Camping World yesterday, that's what prompted my question. I was wondering if one would work with a little modification. I think you've answered my question… thanks

edited:
    Jenn,

I'm definitely going to need something, I noticed last weekend it was very easy to toss things in the sink instead of walking to the trash bag hanging on a tree.

6. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Hi Jenn,
    Where did you find the washcloth holder that is hanging on the silverware drawer?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

7. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Thanks Jenn!
    Charlie

8. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Jenn,
    I looked up the over the door peice for your dish cloth at BBB.
    What a neat idea. I had noticed it on your pictures but hadn't stopped to ask about it I am glad someone did. We are going to pick one up.

9. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Jenn, so now I have to look up the foam "dish drainer".

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Thanks Jenn. It has been such a long busy winter that shopping for our tear has been taking over. What ever happened to my minimalist theory?

11. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Pat,

I can't find it. Do you have a link?

Thanks

12. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Jenn,

Thanks. Maybe we'll just go into the store and see what they have.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  13. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Found it. They only had the stainless steel ones on display, but when I showed a clerk Jenn's photo, he poked around in the back of the store and found two. It's bamboo and I think it looks better with the cabinet than the metal ones. The only problem is that it is a bit big for the 1/2" width of the drawer facing, but we can live with it.

Thanks, another CI mod/addition in the bag. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  14. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Also available at Amazon.com for $10.50. It was $8.00 at BBB.

15. Deb

Deb Novice

We used a small teacup holder type screw on the inside edge of the hatch and it works beautifully. It is out of the way and you don't notice it unless you're looking for it. Most of the towels we take with us have a little loop at one end or corner. We just hook it on the little hanger and away we go! It is able to move in the breeze without floating away or disturbing anything else.

16. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Oh now I understand. I had trouble thinking it was sink holder and towel strainers. Couldn't find those on google. oh....never mind....

17. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

We just picked up a pair of the dish drying mats at Costco today for $7.99. One for home and one for the TD. Saves me from having to dry all those dishes.

Jim

18. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't dry the dishes at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue

19. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I wondered when this was coming.

20. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I happened to be in one of those 'kitchen gadget' stores, and noticed this strainer. I thought it might be shallow enough to be used in the sink as a strainer. and hooray, fits fine. Sure, it's meant to fit exactly on a regular kitchen sink-sized drain; but because of the shallow indent, it fits OK in the teardrop sink.

Progressive Prepworks Sink Strainer
    GT-6747 (model)
    It's currently at amazon <below> but if that changes you can look for that GT-6747 model; and find it. I see @amazon there's also a white enameled option.

https://www.amazon.com/FPrepworks-Progressive-Enameled-Sink-Strainer/dp/B00PSOLQS8

In reading the online reviews on Amazon; apparently what happens to several people is the enamel coating will wear off; exposing a surface prone to rusting. If that happens to me... I'll either just get another one (~ $6 @amazon right now) or DIY something; like getting enamel paint and re-coat it. Or a bead of silicone to 'seal' the exposed areas. Not sure yet what I might do, if it starts to flake/rust like the reviewers mention.

A couple pictures. Top picture is the strainer covering the drain--you can tell it's a much wider circumference than the actual drain; but because of the smaller indent; and because there is a slight bit of "weight" to it, on an average day I think it'll stay put. Yes, I know I should just be SUPER careful not to drain bits and pieces of 'stuff' into the sink... but.

The bottom picture I tried to put the strainer sideways against a high-contrast background, and use the sink plug as a reference so you can "see" the depth of the smaller circle indent.

PrepworksSinkStrainer.jpg
    SinkStrainerDepth.jpg

Tom & Diana P likes this.