Snow Birds

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by Oysterpot, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Back 2004 the family, total 8 bodies agreed to go to Gulf Shores Ala. to celebrate Christmas. My son and I left 3 days early, to pull the pop up camper down, and to enjoy a game or 2 of golf b4 the troops showed up. The daughters family were coming from Michigan, and planned to put their girls (3) in a tent, and the adults would sleep in the camper.
    We tried to make reservations, but they didn’t take them, 1st come 1st served.
    Well my son and I arrived on Wednesday, and of course set up the camper, and I had to set up a tent to hold the kids site. Guess what I forgot to pack. Yup the tent. I did pack our PahHe Qua (sp) TePEE. Yup it is a free standing out building tent. So I put that up to reserve the site.

Now the set up is complete. That evening my son asked if he could go play with a group of kids up the road from our site. I told him it was OK, but he had to be back b4 sun down. Well it was getting rather past dusk and he hadn’t returned, so I thought, I’ll fix him, and hide from him. I took one my my camp chairs into the Teepee with me, zipped it up and sat down and waited.
    Now for those of you that have not gone south for the winter, all the retirees and old F—ts from the north come down. Many from Michigan (which is where I am originally from), and do they have a snoot on over the trashy pop up coming into THEIR park. My camper was brand new by the way, and in no way was used or abused yet. Our site was neat …….. oh well.
    While I am hiding from my son, 2 snow birds are out for their evening stroll. I could hear them talking, when all of a sudden one of the ladies said “oh Jim look at that tent, it looks just like an outhouse”, there is a half moon painted on the door. Well me not letting a super opportunity to pass, while remaining seated, slightly unzipped the door, stuck my head in the openening and hollered back IT IS! The lady couldn’t stop sputtering “why I never!” and they quickened their pace.

Later Friday, I decorated the TEPEE with a string of Christmas lights and when the kids showed up I told them about the incident. I thought the lights set it off.

OBTW the kids forgot their tent as well, so we had 4 teenagers and 4 adults sleeping in the pop up. Super trip.

[​IMG]

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

If the car was still hitched to the camper, where did they think you were? Out for a walk? It definitely is an eye catcher.

3. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Me, too! Great way to meet people! Kathy

4. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

That's a riot of a story, George. We have a pop up shower/changing room/potty tent too. Comes in handy on some of the more remote sites, but yours is far more cute with the half moon and all.

Know what you mean by some of the snow birds. They are a friendly group for the most part and are very appreciative and interested in the CI. The worst we have ever experienced is some good natured ribbing, but sooner or later you're going to find a sour puss. Your response to the situation was priceless.

I think I'll buy a permanent marker and put a great big half moon on the pop up.

Camp On,

Sue