Snow Chains

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Jenn, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Snoqualmie Pass... i drove it in a rental car about 10 years ago. Peggy attended a conference in Seattle so we made a long weekend out of it. I took my fly rod up there one morning after it snowed. Pretty hairy. Then, while walking along the riverbank fishing i came upon some LARGE cat tracks. Talk about feeling the hairs on the back of your neck stand up - i quickly ended my fishing for the day! A beautiful area.

Jenn and Tour 931 like this.
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Junior Ranger

I bet you are talking about a time when I-90 was just a two lane highway that went through the towns long the way. In places Snoqualmie Pass is now eight lanes.

These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago near the west summit onramp.
    DSCN6113.JPG DSCN6115.JPG

Jenn likes this.
  3. Jenn

Jenn Junior Ranger

Early March. I think.

4. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

A tangent, but a bit funny:

I was in a parking lot scraping the ice off the windsheild. It was raining below zero, and it was the worst and very slipperiest it can be.

The car started sliding down the incline in the parking lot. I could hold the car in place with my hand. As long as I kept holding the car, it would stay in place, but if I stopped, it slid downward. It was midnight and I was alone and there was no help. It was before cell phones.

I decided I couldn't stand there all night holding the car in place. I thought one of those concrete logs would stop the car. I removed my hand and got out of the way. Of course the car picked up steam and it went right between the concrete logs, down a ravine, and smacked into a big tree.

sniperJ and Jenn like this.
  5. Jenn

Jenn Junior Ranger

Whoa!! What a decision.

Some years back, while driving in a storm, I hit some black ice and the car went into a spin. At some point the car started going backwards towards the side of the road. When the car stopped and I got out and looked at the back of the car, there was enough snow built up on the back wheels that kept it from going off the side of the road into a ravine. Eventually someone came along and pulled the car back on the road. The back tires were just over the side enough that I couldn't have done a drive off.

6. sniperJ

sniperJ Newbie

Oh that's unlucky, it just happens. Last month one guy brought his F150 for new truck bumpers and racks installation. on 30th he returned with a good wreck on his new bumper. He said he parked at the corner most of the office parking for extra safety. Well, a branch of a tree on the next block fell right into his truck.

Jenn likes this.
  7. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

Not quite that long ago - 1992-1996

A good reminder to make sure your tire chains are accessible - and not in the little spare tire cubbie in the back, covered with a bunch of junk. Had to unpack the car a couple times if I remember correctly. That is not a lot of fun in the snow, semis everywhere, cars swerving into the ditches....

Jenn likes this.
  8. rotus8

rotus8 Junior Ranger Donating Member

An important addition to this discussion, when driving in loose or slippery conditions, reduce the setting on your brake controller. Applying trailer brakes too hard in these cases will promote a jackknife. Setting down to zero is appropriate in snow with chains on the tow but no drag chains.

Don't forget to set it back when conditions improve.

Jenn likes this.
  9. Tour 931

Tour 931 Junior Ranger

Some of the new semi-trailers now have ABS.