South Western Casserole

Discussion in 'Side Dishes' started by Oysterpot, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

South Western Casserole

4 qt camp dutch oven

2 cans Hominy drained
    1 med to lrg onion chopped or 1 tsp onion powder
    1 TBS bacon grease
    1 Cup Flint Coney Island Sauce
    1 Cup grated cheddar cheese

Heat Dutch oven and melt bacon grease, add chopped onions, sauté until clear. Add hominy. Let hominy and onions get hot, add Coney Island sauce and stir into hominy/onion mix (if using onion powder add at this time). Heat mixture until hot.
    Top mix with grated cheese, cover casserole with DO lid, and bake at 350 deg for 30 to 45 minutes.

Great and easy camping recipe

2 qt camp dutch oven

1 can Hominy drained
    1 med to lrg onion chopped or 1 tsp onion powder
    1/2 TBS bacon grease
    ½ Cup Flint Coney Island Sauce
    1/2 Cup grated cheddar cheese

Heat Dutch oven and melt bacon grease, add chopped onions, sauté until clear. Add hominy. Let hominy and onions get hot, add Coney Island sauce and stir into hominy/onion mix (if using onion powder add at this time). Heat mixture until hot.
    Top mix with grated cheese, cover casserole with DO lid, and bake at 350 deg for 30 to 45 minutes.

2. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

What is Flint Coney Island Sauce?

Jean

3. Oysterpot

go to WWW.buykoegals.com it is a coney dog sauce that is resident to Flint, Michigan. They also have outstanding Vienna hotdogs as well. Unfortunately the sauce comes in a 4# package, so I just break up the package into a lot of small packages. I buy the Viennas 10# at a time.

4. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

George,
    I was surprised to fine a reference to Koegels. We have family in Imlay City which is close to Flint and whenever we go we bring home Koegel's. We especially like the pickled balonga. Have never found it any place else. Have you ever tried it?

6. Oysterpot

Oh yes. My wife loves the pickled bologna and also the pickled red hots. They are great sliced and eaten on a Ritz, with a piece of pepper jack cheese.