Subaru In The Mountains...

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by scoen, Oct 14, 2016.

1. scoen

scoen Novice

We were asked how our Subaru Outback did in mountains on our recent 6000 mile trip (pictures and details in the 'Awards/Long Haul' section, "L'escagot's First Big Trip").

It performed quite well... It's a 2014 four cylinder 2.5. Going up the divide and Vail Pass on I-70 to 11,000' in Colorado (6-7% grade), we went 55-60 mph without straining the engine. Going down, using the paddle shifters to downshift, we didn't have to use the brake much at all. Coming out of Death Valley (going west), you climb and descend 3 to 4000' at a 9 and 10% grade. This we did at 35 or 40 mph, and did need to brake some. A good work out... We averaged 17.6 mpg over 6225 miles, most of that pulling our teardrop and the two of us.

I bought a tank of 85 octane (a 'high altitude' formulation that worked better in older cars) gas in Limon, Colorado, then drove some quite hilly (more than 7% grade) two lane roads to Denver. The Subarlu did not like that, knocked, ran at higher rpms, got bad mpgs. After half a tank, we filled up with premium and things immediately improved. So... we paid more for 87 octane gas in parts of the west.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

I tow with a Subaru Outback 2.5i with CVT. The owner's manual says to change the CVT fluid regularly if you use the vehicle to tow. Does anyone have opinions about whether this is a good thing to do?

Kevin S and Jenn like this.
  3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I have the 3.6R engine and only pulled the trailer 45 mph over the mountain passes. Sure it can pull it at 70 mph but the engine produces a lot of blow-by if driven at higher RPM under strain. I'm due for my first oil change.

Kevin S and Jenn like this.
  4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

So the 3.6 engine has oil consumption issues too?
    Our 2013 Outback with the 4 cyl. 2.5 has used a quart of oil about every 2-3000 miles since new, and it doesn't tow anything. When we go to AZ through a bit of mountainous area along the way, where the cruise kicks the rpm's up into the upper 3 to lower 4000 rpm range for short periods, it consumes on the higher end of that range, when flat land driving, on the lower end.
    I hadn't heard that the 6 cyl. suffered from this phenomena too. It is the only newer model ( I've usually bought new,or 1-2 yrs old since about the early 90's) car I've ever owned that regularly needed engine oil added between oil changes. Other than that, and the significantly lower than advertised mileage I like the vehicle, but my wife loves it. So as they say, happy wife........;)

Kevin S likes this.
  5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I haven't heard about the 3.6 having oil consumption problems either. But any engine ran under load at higher rpms will produce more blow-by. The best way to reduce it is to keep the rpm down. Instead of trying to keep my speed up going over a pass I reduce my speed to whatever it takes to keep the rpm under 2,700 for short hills and down around 2,500 rpm for longer or higher passes.

Yes I'm going over the mountains in the truck lane and at about their speed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Kevin S likes this.
  6. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I have a 2012 Sub Outback 2.5i, and we have had no problems with oil consumption being out of the ordinary. We have followed the standard maintenance schedule and our subie has around 160,000 miles and is still going strong. When we eventually trade her in, we're planning to get the new Outback with the turbocharged engine and increased towing capacity -- sticking with what we like.

Kevin S likes this.
  7. 2017, 2.5i with 60,000 miles.

Just did a 3000 mile trip. No mountains but a lot of steep ups and down, where I maxxed out at about 40 mph, trying not to strain the engine. No oil consumption though.

(However, Jenn: I will add extra oil to my emergency kit list. Thanks.)

In response to Chuckwagon's ancient "when to change the CVT fluid" query, I did find this:

*NOTES
    #4 under very severe driving or if Towing replace the CVT oil should be replaced at 24,855 miles

Severe driving is
    > Repeated short trips, stop-and-go, extensive idling (basically any urban driving)
    > Rough, muddy, dusty, wet, humid, cold, mountainous, salty conditions (basically any coast, country, or winter driving)
    > Frequently towing a trailer.
    > Racing

It's tough to figure if they mean cumulative towing miles, or total vehicle miles. I figure that I've hit only half of this 25,000 mile threshold while pulling any of my trailers. Since it is never recommended to change the CVT oil, unless these circumstances exist, I figure this stuff is fairly robust. Consequently, if I change it when I hit the 20K towing mileage mark, or 100,000 miles overall, I probably won't have strayed too far into the danger zone, if at all.

8. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

I lived in Colorado for 3.5 years and for the life of me could not figure out why the budget gas option was a lower octane rating than everywhere else I have been. It never occurred to me that it was an elevation thing. Funny how sometimes the learning happens by happenstance six years down the road. Thanks!

Kevin S likes this.
  9. Chris in CA

Chris in CA Newbie

I have a 2016 Crosstrek. It is a 4 cylinder and pulls my 550 quite well. I generally try to keep the RPMs below 3,000. Does that make sense to you all?
    Also, I just went from northern California to Sedona AZ and got 25MPG average for the entire trip.

campdude and Kevin S like this.
  10. campdude

campdude Ranger

Chris, that is great milage. Two people in the car? Was your trailer loaded?

11. Chris in CA

Chris in CA Newbie

One person in the car and it was loaded. But I dont carry much stuff. Also, I fill the water about half way and empty it on the long drive back. I also stick to the slow lane and drive 55-60.

Kevin S likes this.
  12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I did 65 mph pulling my loaded trailer from Washington to Wisconsin. Got 20.4 mpg on the 1,683 miles.

i got down to 45 mph going over passes. Did not burn any oil. I believe by 2017 Subaru figured out the problem.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Kevin S likes this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

To keep the rpm down. It could have done 90 mph at redline.