Subaru Outback whistle

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by CampMech, Jul 17, 2015.

1. CampMech

CampMech Novice

Wondering if anyone else has a whistle while towing your Camp Inn, specifically while towing with the Subaru Outback. We already know the roof racks of our Outback make humming, buzzing, whistle sounds when something is up on the rack, but this is a whistle towards the back of the car, with nothing on top, and our tear attached. We haven't been able to track this one down and it's driving me crazy!

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1275&Searchpage=2&Main=236&Words=whistle&Search=true#Post1275

3. CampMech

CampMech Novice

Thank you! We always assumed it was the roof racks since we have had noise issues with them before. What is that channel on the front if the 560 for?

4. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

We had the same when towing with a Hyundai Santa Fee but it stopped when we switched TV to a Ford F150.

I assume its caused by a wind effect behind certain TV's

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

The keder rail is there to make noise! Solved the whistle by placing brake line hose in the rail. Adds a nice accent, and noise is gone.

Jean

6. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Yes, they make great organ pipes on the ends. Drives Craig nuts when he tows a 560. I have no high freq hearing so I don't hear it at all.

Cary

7. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

We have never noticed any whistle/noise towing our 560 with a Toyota Sequoia. Now, with my kayak on top of the car.....that's another story sometimes.

What is the purpose of the "keder rail" on the front of the 560 anyway?

Casandra

8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

It is the profile that bends properly around the radius. The "rail" itself serves no factory issued function. But, it is still an awning rail that can be used by the user to hang items from like a window awning or a string of party lights. That is the reason we open up the ends so the user can use the rail if desired. The openings we put on the ends is what whistles.

Cary

9. We hear the whistle with our Outback. On our Long Haul, we had a car top carrier on the car and we did not have it or least it was toned down some anyway. I find turning up the radio drowns it out but I usually get outvoted in the car for that solution.

10. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

So, sounds like it is more of an issue with a shorter/smaller tow vehicle that wouldn't divert as much airflow off the front of the 560?

11. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Did not notice the whistle with our grand Cherokee on way home from the "nest". But with two kayaks on top of the TV and the 560 behind the Cherokee trail hawk, sound is definitely noticeable. May try the brake line hose from Jean if it becomes annoying. We also turned up the radio!

12. Kelly

Kelly Novice

Interesting. Can't say as I've noticed a whistling sound with my Trailhawk when towing the Raindrop, but I'm not carrying kayaks on my TV. That may be a factor (or my hearing isn't as good as yours).

13. CampMech

CampMech Novice

Well, after I originally posted this I tried shoving something just into the ends of the rails to fix the whistling, which didn't work. Now we are going to Malibu for a week so I'm looking for something to shove in there that will run all the way across. Maybe I'll grab some brake line hose.

14. David & Diane

David & Diane Newbie

Violin concertos seem to drown it out fairly well.

15. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Where is the keder rail on the 560?

16. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I want to know too.

17. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Looking at picture of your camper, they don't use them anymore. My goes across the front of my 560 from light to light.

sarmay likes this.
  18. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I wouldn't mind one on the sides, to attach an awning over the doors, tbh.

19. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

Kevin S likes this.
  20. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thx Long!
    Ya, I cant hear it with a smooth roof on my little VW wagon TV, but perhaps that vehicular combo disturbs the air flow enough the whistle is gone vs Subies TVs.

But thats due too much time on flight decks and the range in my wasted youth, before we knew about accumulated hearing loss from high decibels.

"Keder rail"...learn something new everyday...
    Guessing thats on early models or removed for solar retrofit on my 2010...
    aka "laminar flow disturbance device for audiophiles accessory..."
    (Sweeney who loves ya baby?)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Tour 931 likes this.