Tailgate clearance?????

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Doug & Amber, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Anyone towing with F-150?? Does the Campinn have long enough tounge to tow 560 with the tailgate down? We don't own a 560 yet but will next year and we would like to bring our dirt bikes with us when we travel. We have the short box F-150 Supercrew and need the tailgate down to fit the bikes.

My fear is clearance issues when turning.... Any first hand knowledge is greatly appreciated.

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Doug and Amber,

You would not be able to drive with it down in a normal configuration. However, we have seen customers do this successfully in a modified configuration. The trick to doing it is to use an extended ball mount to move the trailer back far enough to clear when turning. That works really well. It would also involve extending safety chains and possibly making a 7 wire extension too.

My recommendation would be to not try and work on this project until you have trailer in hand and can hook up and take the necessary measurements to determine extension lengths.

Cary

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  3. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Cary,

Makes sense, thanks for your help.

4. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Agreed. I too ride dirt and like to bring my bike with me. Standard 6' bed is not long enough without having to kick the bike sideways a little.

Therefore, I am looking at hitch extenders now that will give me the extra clearance. I will let you know what I figure out once I pick the right one.

Of course, as Carey mentions, you then also need to extend the plug, break away cable and safety chains.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Hopefully the link to show you our setup with the dual hitch and extension is here:

[​IMG]

6. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

I am curious if a Yakima Bedhead will work for you. When I had an F150 standard bed, I used a half dozen Bedheads. It would be simpler than the extension of the towing length. This assumes that you are carrying bicycles, and not motorcycles.

7. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I suspect that a motorcycle would be way too heavy for something like this. Plus, removing the front tire on a bicycle is way easier than that of a dirt bike.

I've looked for options and tow extension is really the only option when you got motorcycles.