Tastes Like Trusello Bread

Discussion in 'Breads' started by Hilditch, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

“THE NY Italian Bread”
    For a Dutch oven

Many years ago in Niagara Falls, NY there was a bakery called Trusello Bakery. They made the most wonderful bread and bakery pizza. Trusello’s bread was so good I spent years trying to recreate it and the pizza, and here is the bread for Dutch oven cooking. You can pre-measure portions at home & take it in marked plastic bags for mixing. Mixing should be done in ceramic or glass bowls, as some stainless may taint the bread with a metallic flavor.

Biga – In the morning mix 1/8 tsp active dry yeast in ¼ cup warm water until dissolved (7 min.). Mix in 1/2 cup of flour & let sit for 6 hours between 70 & 85º while you go play. Adjust according to temp as this is where the flavor comes from.

Bread – Add 3/8 tsp yeast to 5oz (minus 1 tsp) water and dissolve. Mix this together with the biga, 1 3/4 cups of flour mixed with ½ rounded Tsp of salt. Mix/knead in the bowl until smooth. It will be sticky. Let rise for 1 hr. until doubled. Punch down & do it again for the second rise. Punch down again and remove from the bowl.

Then make a Boule (round loaf) with floured hands, set it on some cornmeal on a flat surface and cover it with a towel. Preheat a 4 qt. or larger Dutch oven with a trivet until it gets hot (full coals on the bottom). When hot, put a piece of round parchment paper on the trivet and gently add the loaf on to it.. Score the loaf with a knife 1/2 inch deep. Cover & load the top with Hot coals. Bake for 19 minutes. Check for doneness with a tap. Does it sound hollow and look good? Done. Let cool a few minutes.

The process may take 9 hours, but only about an hour of your time. This is great tearing bread. It and anything will make a great meal!

2. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Hey Hilditch,
    Looks good, I'll give it a try.

3. Theresa

Theresa Novice

Hilditch -- Know what's perfect for pre-measuring cornbread mix or other dry ingredients for camping? Those little plastic containers in which pre-sweetened Kool-aid is purchased. They're small, they have a measuring cup in the lid, and they're sturdy enough to wash and re-wash. We don't use them on a regular basis (because we do try to buy products that're a little more environmentally friendly), but I do have a small collection in my chuck box. If you're making "just add water" pancakes (or simliar), you can even add your water and shake to mix. The things don't leak.

George -- I'm curious: How did you become a campfire cooking guru? Where and when do you do these demonstrations? I'd like to see one, but I don't think we live anywhere close.

4. Oysterpot

Theresa,
    I would never call myself a guru, I do love the camp cooking, and love talking with people about it. I learn more that way.

We will be over by or at Panther Creek, this spring, not sure what the date, and on July 31 there is a dutchoven gathering at MileHigh camp ground just across the boarder. I will have to get back with you on the exact dates. I will also lead you to some groups in your state that get together every now and then.
    The great thing about these gatherings is the participants are very anxious to demonstrate their skills or knowledge.
    Also you get to see many styles of food preparation.

I will go get the dates and times and get them posted.

5. Theresa

Theresa Novice

Panther Creek? Mile High? I don't know these places -- of course, I can google them. A "dutch oven gathering" would interest me. And the end of July'll be our wedding anniversary -- a good time for a weekend getaway.

Coming from a family that's never thrown anything away, I have a large collection of dutch ovens that were owned by my grandmother's grandmother (I am not sure whether she was the original owner), and I'm no slouch at campfire cooking (or in-the-house cooking either), but I could always learn more. My husband is super-supportive of anything that improves his table!

6. Theresa

Theresa Novice

Okay, found Mile High without difficulty -- looks like a great place. But I see Panther Creek campgrounds in both Georgia and Tennessee. I'd like to know details when they become available.

Shoot -- a look at the calendar tells me that I may be running up and down the road the last weekend in July transporting my daugther to-and-from summer camp, where she'll be a CIT. She thinks I'm being horrible because I won't allow her to drive her own car to camp. Her car isn't anywhere new, and cell phone reception up in that area of the mountains is sketchy at best. I'm driving her.

7. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

You really ought to try it!

[​IMG]

Hilditch

8. starlight

starlight Novice

thanks for sharing the recipe, Hilditch! I'm looking forward to trying it when we go out in the fall. gotta love fresh bread...oh, and fresh bread with jam...and fresh bread with butter... :)

9. Oysterpot

Not ever having Trusello bread b4, I'll take your word that the recipe tastes like it. If it does, then Trusello bread is pretty darn good. Made it today, and I admit I cheated for the 1st loaf, I did it in a castiron casserole dish, and in the house oven.

The bread is simple, surprised me that it held its shape as wet and sticky as it was. Perfect size for 1 or 2 people.

Thanks for sharing.

10. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Glad you liked it George. If it didn't rise to 3 1/2" it was too wet and needed a couple tablespoons of flour. It should hold 90% of its shape and rise a little while waiting for the oven to heat up. It will still be on the sticky side, but workable.
    You may want to try again to get a feel for it. Inside oven temp is 435o.

"Perfect size for 1 or 2 people." Jeez George, that is a whole 14 oz loaf of bread. You must have really liked it!

Hilditch

11. Oysterpot

Oh it rose to at least 31/2", had a great crumb, and the flavor was very good. I am going to use the recipe to make some ciabatta sandwich buns. As much as I like sourdough, this maybe my daily bread. I had a slice when it was cooling, then toasted a slice, then 4 slices of Garlic toast, and have maybe 2 slices left. I don't think it would fit height wise in my 4qt lodge, but it would my 5 qt. It still wouldn't have touched the sides of the DO. Sorry I didn't take pictures, cause it was purty.

12. Oysterpot

OK I hope it doesn't look like I am stepping on Hilditches parade, but I have been experimenting or playing with this recipe, just as it is presented. Tonight I divided the dough up into 6 little small Boules. Voila Sandwich rolls or Hamburger buns, with a flavor that will have you throwing rocks at the commercial ones.

If you have not tried baking bread in the Dutch Ovens, or you are hanging on the fence about it. Just do it. If you follow this recipe above, and do as Hilditch says, you shouldn't be disappointed. This one of the easiest bread recipes I have tried.

13. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Not at all George.

Or 8 dinner rolls. Or a great pizza crust.
    If using for pizza, brush the dough with olive oil (Not the edges.) just before adding the other ingredients to keep it from getting soggy.

Hilditch

14. Oysterpot

Went camping over the 4th week. I was at site for 6 days. Of those 6 days, I managed to make this recipe 4 times.
    1 boule 10" DO
    2 Loaf pan Loaves made separately used 10" DO
    1 Pizza Rolled out to roughly 14" Baked in a 16" DO

Yes I did carry all those pans to last years CI-CO.

So now I have tested the recipe "under fire". This is a very nice bread and easy bread for making while camping with a CI

In fact I think this is what I will demonstrate at this years CI-CO. Yes there will be samples to try.

15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

YES!

16. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Made this to go with dinner tonight...I sautéed some minced garlic in butter & brushed in on the finished loaf...

One word...........

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Hilditch! ;)

:cool:

17. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

A little bit of artistic license going on there, Hilditch???? ;) ;) ;)

:cool:

18. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Moi? Good call.

I'm glad you liked it Betsey.

Hilditch

19. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

As George found, this bread is good for other things too.

[​IMG]

(Brush the dough with olive oil before adding other ingrediants, but not the crust.)

Hilditch, 1%er

20. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

at's ah one ah fine ah lookin' pizza!

Hilditch, you never cease to amaze me.

George, looking forward to your demo(s) at the CICO. I hope your can work them around the factory tour(s)... I'd hate to miss it/them.

aj