Tastes Like Trusello Bread

Discussion in 'Breads' started by Hilditch, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Even if ya miss the "official" demo, I can always be hit up with questions. Can't guarantee a demo, but if if I got em (ingredients), I could probably be talked into a quickie demo. LOL

2. Oysterpot

I have been doing some practising with the recipe, only I am practicing at a Tear Drop portion. LOL
    Since the majority of the folks are a couple, the 4 qt and 6 Qt DO's are inconvenient. The 1qt and 2qt are more your size. Fewer left overs, what is left over won't break you to throw away.

I am quite pleased with my results. To this point, I have been using the house oven. This evening I will be using charcoal. My concern is being able to get the little 1 qt hot enough to not only bake the bread, but to brown it as well. Here are some photos of my results.

2nd Rise (note the slits) Those were originally the width of a knife blade. 2 one qt DO

[​IMG]

All done baking

[​IMG]

The two 1qt along side a 2qt loaf

[​IMG]

to be continued when I am done with charcoal bake.

3. Oysterpot

Here are the pics from this mornings bread bake, in a 1qt DO outside (camp driveway on the deck)

Charcoal Layout

[​IMG]

I think it is ready!

[​IMG]

4. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

We just tried Hilditch's Trusello bread for the first time. It was delicious, and simple to prepare. This recipe will definitely become a regular on our camping trips. Beer bread is simple and good, but Trusello has it beat by a mile!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Oysterpot

Hilditch will cringe with this post.
    For those of you not interested in making bread from scratch while camping, well when you are at home, make up the dough,and punch down, form your loaf, wrap in plastic wrap, and then put in zip lock bag, and freeze the dough. I think I would make up 2 loaves to take on a camping run of longer than a week end. That way you can have fresh homemade bread.

I tried this this past week, and the frozen dough recovered nicely, and made a great loaf of bread.

6. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Just a little cringe. I experimented with freezing the dough and found I had to add 50% more yeast for it to recover as well as fresh after the second rise. It may have been my bad technique. Glad to hear this can work. Did you let it rise twice or freeze after the first rise?

Hilditch

7. Oysterpot

I froze it after the 1st rise. The dough has been frozen for 3 days, and I used one today. It rose nicely, very slowly though, recomend it be placed in a dutch oven with the lid on and sitting in the sun. That should speed up the rise. When the dough has thawed, as long as it is kept cold, it will keep a day or two longer. The flavor was still very good.

8. Oysterpot

Hey just had a thought, no comments please, If when you make the loaf you roll it to say about 2 inches in diameter, then when you want a dinner roll, slice off a piece of the frozen roll, and use the 6" oven to bake the rolls 3 will fit in the 6" Lodge.

There ya go Jenn.

9. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Ah ha! Thank you. I've got a gathering coming up this spring where they want more bread, so I'll give it a go. Frozen & then on ice for a couple of days would be great. I'll try it at home first.

Hilditch

10. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Decided to attempt making this bread today. So far I am at the bread stage.

Added required ingredients, kneaded, and thought the dough was very dry, not sticky as states on page 1. Added a little water.

Also wonder why there is no sugar?

All there is is water, yeast, flour, and salt.

See what the next couple hours brings.

11. Jean W

Complete failure!!!!

No idea what is wrong. Very heavy, tastlelss.

Maybe someone can provide detailed instructions for baking in oven?

jean

12. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Jean,

How long did you let the yeast work? The longer it sits, the stronger the taste of the bread. I let mine sit in a very warm place for 6-8 hours before mixing it into the remaining flour. It should "grow" while it sits. Did you cover it with plastic wrap?

Also, brushing the surface of the loaf with sautéed garlic butter adds nicely to the flavor.

When I have made it in my oven, I shape it on a cookie sheet, let it raise the 2nd time & then bake.

It will be a more dense bread, as it is not a fine crumb(like dinner rolls)& it will be chewy.

:cool:

13. Jean W

The Biga sat for 6 hours, at house temps with is 71 to 72 degrees.

Obviously not worm enough. Was covered with plastic wrap.