Teardropping In Baja California, Mexico

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Les Izmore, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

This is a heads up that Alea and I got our tourist cards today in Tecate and will be heading into Mexico tomorrow. We hope to be blogging about our experiences, though doing so will likely be at the mercy of whatever free wi-fi that we can find at campgrounds along the way. If the bandwidth is low, that might severely limit the number of photos that we can post along the way, and I suspect there could be long stretches where we have no internet access. But for those of you who want to follow along, visit our blog!

Ben likes this.
  2. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I've enjoyed reading your blog. I look forward to hearing of your travels in Mexico. I think you'd do a real service to those of us who might be interested in camping in Baja to give your opinions about ease of travel, safety and available facilities. There isn't nearly as much written about camping in Mexico as what we have in this country.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I expect most of what you need to know can be found in Mike & Terri Church's book, Camping Mexico's Baja. We've talked to many folks who say you'll recoup the cost of the book in no time. It gives quite detailed descriptions of campgrounds and tells of the various tourist highlights in the different regions of BC and BCS.

The main thing is that you aren't covered by you American insurance. You will need Mexican insurance. If you will be in Mexico more than a month it will likely be cheaper to get a six month policy. For decent coverage for us that was close $500. And then add another $43 for tourist visas. So for the two months that we plan to be in Mexico we are already out about $10 per day in expenses.

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  4. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Now that we've been in Mexico for a few days we are getting a better sense of how costs compare with those in the States. Aside from gas being around $3 per gallon, things definitely appear to be cheap enough that it will be worth the additional overhead of insurance and visas. Food in supermarkets is cheaper, unless you have to have US brands. Camping is a lot cheaper than most parts of the US (except last night, but that was likely an aberration), and there is a good discount for monthly rentals vs. daily (we'll likely see about weekly rates once we get in an area where we would like to linger). Dining out is cheaper, especially if you aren't looking for haute cuisine. The main roads all seem to be planned to be upgraded to US Highway standards, which means eventually there will be a lot more big rigs down here. At present the narrow roads that lead to the Baja California South scare off a lot of big rig owners - too many stories of mirrors being clipped off by passing semis.

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  5. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

6. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We had a little misadventure a couple of days ago, which I've posted about in another area of the forum:
    Arb Tow Vehicle Awning

7. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Wow, Steve! Things could have been much worse, I suppose. Glad this misadventure isn't in the big-$ column!