Test Run

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neil Barr, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Neil Barr

Neil Barr Novice Donating Member

We are near the end of our test run with a rental Tear Drop. I was a pleasant experience and the Hummingbirds were a bonus.
    We are still considering a purchase. We ran across the Vistabule. Has anyone made a comparison with Camp Inn? I still have yet to be able to see either first hand. The Silver Shadow was the only thing we could get our hands on to rent.
    We survived a high wind thunderstorm our first afternoon the blew both canopies down but recovered with an hour. Exciting!!

Jenn likes this.
  2. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

This post should point out that it's hot and humid and I'm a bit bored right now...

You have to wonder about a teardrop design that differentiates itself mainly on the fact that its bed can be converted into a sofa. Like the main reason you would buy a teardrop in the first place is to sit inside of it most of the time. And the great view that you'll get while sitting on the sofa and looking out the forward window? Most often it will be the back of your tow vehicle. And dining inside your camper is not a good routine practice - it can invite bugs and bears into the one place you go to be away from both. Vistabule is an interesting weekend design, but for a long road trip or full timing, you are going to want a lot more storage - convenient, functional storage. Camp Inn has far more of that than any competitor.

Of course if your intent is to fly solo, then you have half a bed on which to store you stuff. But then that defeats the purpose of the sofa, if you have to store your stuff outside while using same.

If you plan to use your teardrop for more than weekends and a few trips of a week or so, talk to any couples who have RVed for a while (any RVs, not just teardrops). It won't take long to find someone who started out with something small, where it was necessary to convert a piece of furniture into the bed each night. Then they upgraded to something with a dedicated queen size or larger bed, usually one where one of them needed to crawl over the other to get in and out (including in the middle of the night to go pee). Then they finally settled on one where there is unfettered access to the bed. By that time they are in a trailer at least 27 feet long or a coach approaching 40 feet in length. All to find a solution that Camp Inn (or more correctly their predecessors) solved within a 12 foot trailer that can be towed by most vehicles on the road today.

Of course, for some of those same folks, the toilet was the target of their quest for perfection. For most such folks, a teardrop would never be a serious consideration: it would fail the first go, no-go test.

Beware of Swiss army-knife approaches to design. Often, their most useful function is to point out what things you shouldn't compromise on.

I haven't seen anything on the market that has anywhere close to the refinement of design that Camp Inn has achieved, which is a testament to the passion that went into the very first camper that Craig (and Cary?) designed and built. Ditto for quality of materials and workmanship. And ditto again for continuing to improve upon their designs to make them even more trouble-free.

If there is ever a teardrop Hall of Fame, I know Camp Inn will have a place there, as will many of the builders from decades ago. I suspect L'il Guy will also get in, based upon number of units built if for no other reason. They've probably done more to popularize the teardrop concept by achieving a price point that allows RV dealers to make money on them. But while their products are reasonably functional, they don't have much of a soul.

Evan and GhostOrchid like this.
  3. Neil Barr

I ran across the Vistabule on line so have not been able to inspect either.
    If we purchase new we will
    Likely buy the 360. Like the extra space. Am also focused on the quality and resale value. Vistabule seems in its infancy and you can't have all those windows without giving up storage space and convenience options.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

Hello Neil,

I own a Vistabule. It has great Fung shui ( in case you are needing some). A pleasure to camp with.
    Jenn is right. There are lots of great choices to choose from. We just have to find the TD that meets our needs best.
    I am not a cheer leader for Vistabule I just wanted to get info on what the teardrop camping experience is all about and provide info for making decisions. If I had access to a 550 and 560 I would make videos about them too!

Video
    More Video

You can see the space in the videos. When researching a helpful on this forum person did provide measurements for the interior storage on the 550 (excluding the boot). The Vistabule has significantly more interior cubic inch storage space. Same for the galley storage. I did not compare my tongue box with the 550 boot.

No concerns here about being comfortable on extended trips with a companion. That is the reason I purchased it. Tow vehicle is a Subaru Forester 4 cyl (25MPG average towing the rig so far). In about 2 years I will be doing multiple 30 day trips of longer a year.

The queen sized bed is a futon. The owner of Vistabule made futons for a living for a period - and you can see the futon legacy in the construction. Its durable. Mattress is an Ikea futon mattress. Very comfortable in all temps. Dual duty of bed and futon optimizes my space utilization comfort and trailer usability.

I did post several videos on YouTube with info I would like to have had when I was shopping for my trailer.
    I also wanted to show teardrop trailer camping in action which would have answered the thousands of questions I asked Jenn and this forum. I came from tenting and backpacking, kayak camping, Mtn Bike camping, etc.

The trailer was a big step in a new direction. Of course having Jenn to help me saved me from lots of mistakes on selection and after I owned the trailer Jenn helped me outfit it with "the right stuff" (which is different from the same stuff :)). Having said all that I just came back from 10 nights in Bar Harbor Maine and loved camping in the trailer. I have about 50 nights in the trailer. Work prevents me from hitting the road for more than a few weeks right now. But its in my future

Support is a top consideration for any trailer owner. One company said as much as 40% of their work can be warrantee. Camp-Inn support speaks for itself. Its the peak of customer service. While researching my choice Camp-Inn was VERY responsive to email and phone calls and everyone I spoke to LOVED Camp-Inn support. Camp-Inn told me about an owner nearby where I lived (northern New Jersey) so I could view his 550. They warned me he was not a happy camper. I chatted with the owner and he related a problem. Camp-Inn had the trailer picked up - shipped back and returned to the owner (at Camp-Inn's expense) in an effort to make him happy, and the guy still complained. Their is no satisfying some people but after listening to his story - I came to the conclusion the owner did not store his trailer properly and I was blown away with Camp-Inn's OUTSTANDING service. In the top tier of trailers I think we expect that. But Camp-Inn delivers exceptional service (above and beyond reasonable) every time. It makes me happy there are still companies like that today. 1930s no nonsense business ethics in 2016 is rare. Way to go Camp-Inn!
    No issues on support for my trailer too.

It took me almost a year to come to a decision with so many good choices around. I will say the Vistabule has innovated on the 1930s design and built in a lot of useful features I have not seen on other rigs. I like the Jules Verne-meets-Sputnik "retro future" look. Of course the 1930s classic design is great too. I just like teardrops.

My trailer connects me to the outdoors. When starring at cabinets or tinted windows I felt cut off . Views on all 4 sides are the first thing I check when I wake up to check for birds/wildlife. I spend about 25% of my nights sleeping under the window enjoying the stars.

Moisture/condensation control is built into the design. Boat ventilation ports are in the front. 4 windows open. The futon platform is above the cold floor condensation. So far no mattress condensation which should be a concern for the cold weather camper or full timer. Futon in up position increases air flow too.

I sat in the 550 on 3 occasions and liked it and the 560. The woodwork on the Camp-Inns is spectacular I love the interior roof strip woodwork, lovely to look at - but windows won in my case and I get to look up a Baltic Birch over my head which is bright and pleasing. I also loved the Oregon TrailR. They use one piece of aluminum for the entre roof. Talk about leak proof. I saw a couple of Little Guy trailers in campgrounds. The owners love the light weight composite models. I even like the Mypod trailer (only weighs 600 pounds). I am a pushover for small trailers. All are good choices depending on your needs. In the top tier - the purchase prices are similar

I hope the Videos provide some accurate useable information. If you have any questions - let me know.
    I did a lot of hand wringing before buying. I have no regrets.
    More Videos

Its pretty clear there is no "best" trailer - but there is a trailer that is best for our own individual needs. Figure out your needs and you will find the right trailer.
    -Cosmo

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. birder526

birder526 Novice

We are one of those full-time campers Steve alludes to that started out small (550 Special), but moved up to a 20' R-pod travel trailer. With the new trailer, we do prepare food inside, and haven't had bugs or bears yet, although we did have a small frog in our queen bed the other night! We still cook outdoors too, and eat outside weather-permitting. We love the extra space, as does our cat, and yep, a bathroom on board is a luxury. With our teardrop we didn't have water, so no tanks to deal with. Now we handle three tanks. We had no TV, air, or furnace; now we have all three. It is definitely a change from the elegant simplicity of our 550, and there are times we miss that. But, it was time to make a change to a larger home and we are happy. As said here, there's a right camper out there for each of us. Happy trails!

6. jpbrew

jpbrew Novice

Hi folks, just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Jenny and I looked at many campers before deciding to purchase our used 560. We have always tent camped, but with us getting alittle on with our years, a teardrop for us was the way to go. As mentioned in the earlier posts, features determine which camper to buy. The 560 provides most of what we would need or want while still providing what we consider a camping experience, but there are other features we have seen in other brands of teardrops which we liked as well. One notable feature of owning a teardrop, regardless of brand, which stands out for us is the ease of moving, storing and setup of the camper itself, not to mention the savings of gas mileage. In the end, it come to what you want in a camping experience which determines which camper to choose.

JP

7. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Diane - When I spoke of bugs, etc, it was in regard to dining in the cabin of a Camp Inn, on the bed, not at the dinette of your Rpod. If you eat in bed, crumbs and such can eventually make it underneath the mattress and provide a feast for the inevitable bugs that get into any trailer (and they always seem to invite their friends). Of course an option is to frequently clean out under the mattress to avoid this issue (not my idea of fun, but there is really no need to clean under there very often if all that gets in is a little sand and grit). As for bears, I'm not convinced that is a huge issue, but we did see some spectacular photos while in the Adirondacks of what a bear can do to a vehicle if it smells something inside that it wants. Most such scents would be minimized by good housekeeping and storing things in airtight containers.

Cosmo - Earlier this year we ran into an interesting couple in one of those diesel pusher, twin axle motor coaches. In response to us telling him how happy we are in our Camp Inn, he muttered to himself that his dad used tell him that folks can talk themselves into anything. His point was that everyone's tendency is to justify their own decisions. But the reality is most happy people find a way to make things work if things aren't optimal (if they don't, then eventually they go around complaining all the time).

The primary purpose of the cabin of any teardrop is for sleeping and for functions associated with sleeping (getting dressed in the morning, reading before turning in at night, etc). Aside from that, its secondary function is a place to stay warm, stay cool, stay dry or to simultaneously accomplish two or more of the above. But outside of bedtime, generally those secondary functions can be accomplished elsewhere (going sightseeing or to a movie, dining out, etc). Just to hedge our bets that we don't eventually succumb to cabin fever (since we've been living in our 550 full time for a year now), we try hard not to spend more time than necessary in the cabin. But we love the time that we do spend there because of the thoughtful design and high quality materials.

Years ago, some smart people in Detroit got all of us (or nearly all) to make comparing things a numbers game: They have 100 of this, but WE'VE got 101, so we're better! It's never that simple, especially when it comes to storage. The consideration that comes WAY before asking how much, is asking how functional the storage is. OK, there's lots of storage under the bed in a Vistabule. But it's not very convenient to access if you have kick your wife out of bed to get at it. And if that storage space is also intended to be the footwell of the sofa, is it really storage (if so, where do you store the stuff that you were storing there while you sit on the sofa)?

I don't mean to be hypercritical of other products on the market. Most seem to be adequate for basic camping. The point I do try to make is that Camp Inn's cabin and galley design are FAR more functional than the competitors, most of which try to convince you that more cabin volume is better (sort of like when Wonder bread came along and added lots of air bubbles to its bread - the package got bigger, but there was less bread it, but most people were willing to pay more for it). It is simply a more resolved design, which came about as the result of the depth of research that went into building the very first one. It doesn't try to be a Swiss Army knife, adding lots of blades that seldom get used.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

I realize I am the visiting team and appreciate this forum which helped me so much.
    Civility is the grease of the internet. Accurate facts are the fruit of the internet.

At one point the 550 and 560 were my choice too. I still love them. You seem have inaccurate information about my trailer from the comments you posted.

I do feel compelled to correct inaccuracies. So please don’t take this as being critical of the 550 or 560. Just an effort to get the facts right.

I do not share your definitions and rule sets on how a trailer should be used. I use it anyway that suites me. Dinner for 2, cozy pajama party, star observatory, shelter, bug free zone, sunny day bird watching, spare couch when entertaining and far more.

Comparing cubic inches is hardly a numbers game. Its important data for someone who knows how to use it. In one of your post you indicate space is critical – then in another it is wonder bread bubbles. It’s obvious both living space and storage space are critical.

You are a full timer and haven’t figured out how to utilize under bed storage? I cracked the code and figured it out. But it took me 2 min.

The foot wells do extend back so yes there is plenty of usable storage there and I put the REI Alcoves in the wells sometimes when traveling (lots of other stuff too). I did not include under bed storage on the 550 or my trailer when I calculated storage space. I just added up the cabinet and shelf space.

I would not go camping without my most useful tool, a Swiss army knife. In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, it has proven to be a lifesaving precision tool countless times around the planet. Perhaps you chose the wrong model Swiss army knife? I use all my blades. Better email NASA to send them back from the space station.

If you feel the need to post more information about a trailer you seem to be lacking firsthand information on – I will help get the facts right. I hoped the videos would help sort this out for you. If you have questions – just ask. I would be happy to prevent bad info from circulating about your trailer and mine.

Loads of great full time info here. Its primarily about living in vans but I learned a lot from their accurate first hand information. I am sure they would love your input.

Are you a full timer by choice or circumstance?

-Cosmo

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  9. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Cosmo, I really am sorry if you've taken my comments the wrong way. With anything, you can view things in a positive light or a negative light. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt that their comments are well intended. There aren't enough bad people (percentage-wise) in the world to think otherwise.

Its functional storage space (space where you can get at stuff without having to move other stuff out of the way) that for me is a critical consideration in selecting a camper. I've heard too many stories of people who didn't mind buying a camper some little inconveniences, until they had to deal with them day in and day out. Then their perspective has a way of changing.

A large interior space probably has more drawbacks than benefits, but I won't pick nits with you. If you are happy with your camper and I am with mine, then there isn't any sense in either of us fussing about it.

Thanks for the grease and fruit!

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

Your name is Steve? If so good morning Steve!
    No offense taken or given I am just trying to sort out the details. Thanks for working with me.

Access to under bed storage is not more convenient on either of our trailers. Not sure why that is a concern for you. Its not a problem. Are you telling me you figured out how to get into your under mattress storage without getting out of the trailer?

My trailer measurements are as follows. I shorted the measurements where angled surfaces are involved. So these are stingy measurements. I broke them out for easy dissection.

• Vistabule Headboard interior accessible cabinet space – “open the cabinet and grab it” 11.5 cubic feet or 19872 cubic inches.
    • Tongue box – fully accessible from interior at all times! - 5.85 Cu ft. 10108 cu inches
    • Under floor storage – 6.77 cu ft. or 11704 cu in
    • Lower galley storage. 7.25 cu ft. 12540 cu in
    Vistabule Total for all storage combined = 31.37 cu ft. or 54207.36 cu inches.

Tow vehicle 2014 Subaru Forester cargo space 74.7 cu.ft.

To help visualize that 1 fluid quart = 57.75 cubic inches. The trailer storage compartments could hold 990 quarts. For reference, my summer backpack (internal frame is 4000 cu in and my winter backpack is 8000 cu in).

I dredged up this old post which attempted to calculate the interior accessible cabinet space on a 550 which came out to about 10.31 cu ft. or 17815.68 cu in. You own a 550 so I am sure you can provide better measurements we can chew on together. It’s pretty clear to me there is abundant useable space in my trailer (and yours).
    http://www.campinnforum.com/community/threads/interior-storage-cabinets.2386/

Maybe (in a different thread) you can help me understand this comment you posted if you are up for it I can only imagine the frustration that we would feel if we had a galley designed like the Vistabule's”. I am having trouble seeing the “optimized” efficiency that you say I am lacking. Any frustration you are imagining is imagined only. Takes me no longer than you to reach for a fork, a pan, burner knob, or to cook a meal. My available counter space is 25"X25" or 625 square inches. The stove does not suck up any of that space since it is off the counter space. This seems to be an imagined hurricane in a pickle jar.

In the meantime I think I we need to turn this thread back over to Neil and help provide some additional useful advice for his decision. Sorry for hijacking your thread Neil – but you now have some measurements to chew on.

Neil – What is your tow vehicle?

If you are on a budget I would consider the Little Guy 5 wide. About $8k or $9k. Only weighs 800 pounds and tongue weight is only 80 pounds. It delivers functionality but woodwork is painted. I have seen one up close and it was very nicely finished. Inside was bright and cheerful. The one I viewed had electric and water and used their own stove. Maybe you already checked it out.

Not sure the Silver shadow $13k delivers that much more functionality but it has the aluminum “retro look” and more features. Weighs in at about 1000 pounds.

Of course if you want to go for the top end the 550 is waiting for you. The 560 is a step beyond in space and luxury (if you need that). Or the trailer I own.

The TNTT forum as discussion for lots of other types of trailers too.

Based on my own experience once you adapt your camping “system” to your trailer – you will be happy! I love teardrop camping.

-Cosmo

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  11. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

The Vistabule is a cool trailer that I have often admired online. The couch/footwell setup is very clever. Would love to see on in person someday. Enjoy!

Randy

12. Neil Barr

Thanks for all the detAiled analytical data opinions. I am an engineer and I am not sure I can process all this info.
    We just completed week in a Silver Shadow to test the Teardrop experience. My tow vehicle is a Yukon Denali. This was probably the lightest trailer I have pulled. No issue.
    I am looking at the 560. Always have had a bad habit of buying as far up the line as I can often getting more than I can use.
    In addition to convenience and quality I wNt to retIn as much value as possible. At 72 yrs old it won't be too long and I will want to recover as much as possible. This leads me to the higher end. The Vistabule is in their infancy but I do expect from what I have gleaned that their resale may be comparable.
    A resale just came up today (#555) within in 2 hrs so I may check it out. A little concerned with the condition disclosed at the price being ask. A lot of extras but the water damage bothers me even if it has been fixed properly as the cosmetics will be hard to renew.
    Still a lot to think about. Thanks for all the input.

13. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

Is #555 a 550 or 560?

In my case Extra space is good. I use a lot of gear and the comfort I get being able to move around and stretch - lay at either end etc. makes it worth it for me. (hence all my annoying measurements).

I found it less expensive to start at the top. The half step upgrades cost me more in the end.

There are many videos about refinishing water damaged wood on youtube. Taking care of water damage a regular ritual for boat owners and many RV owners. Seems like many RV's eventually leak. Heat , cold, expansion, contraction, wood swelling, movement, humidity, condensation flexing, freezing, freezing with water, vibration etc. are always working against us. We ask a lot from our trailers. Driving at highway speed in the rain sends water places we never dreamed of. Apparently if you store a trailer outside it needs to be covered. I am able to fit mine in the garage. One friend has a Scamp fiberglass another has a Casita fiberglass and even they leaked more than once (both stored outside).

After talking to many RV owners. dealers, builders and lots-O-web surfing these product keep being mentioned for leak relief. So far I have no leaks but it is likely just a matter of time for some of us.

Permatex flowable Silicone. Flows into small spaces that normal silicone wont flow into. I keep a tube in my trailer just in case.

Rust-Oleum Leak Seal Flexible Rubber Sealant, Clear Comes in spray and brush on. Gets great reviews on Amazon

Airstream Acryl-R This is the grey goo you see in some aluminum rivet seams on Airstreams. I have no experience with it and its pretty pricy (unless you have a leak).

Airstream sealant kit

Regular silicone glue/calk
    Dap acrylic calk has been mentioned often also as a silicone alternative.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

-Cosmo

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  14. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

560 Ultra

15. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Cosmo: That Vistabule is cool. I like the big window, but I'd hate the loss of privacy. That window should be heavily tinted, IMO (which is not worth much).

I hate the idea of eating inside my trailer, but that position is easy for us in the west given how infrequently it rains, here. (and how infrequently bugs are an issue, even when camping) I might feel differently if I was camping in New England. And I am totally jealous of your Acadia trip!!!

I am curious, though, who says the Vistabule has good Feng Shui? If anything, all your money/wealth is screaming right out of that big window!! And if you open both doors, look OUT!! Wealth comes in one door and out the other!! :) (I'm am sincerely curious about the Feng Shui claim, but maybe you were joking.)

I do agree with the big rig guy who said most people simply justify decisions they already made. I am always wary of that (especially with myself). (I wonder if he also noted that he was doing the same thing....) To me, different strokes for different folks. Viva la difference. It makes the world go round. If we all liked the same stuff, life would be boring (and so would we).

-Al

16. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

Hello Al,

I agree - lots of teardrop choices for all our needs. Mine is no better or worse. Its just right for me.

Ya window is great for exhibitionists. For those who are more modest the widow has a pull down shade. I get both great views or privacy.
    You can see the privacy aspect in this video. I could use a room darkening shade, but I enjoy the sun. Tinting would hinder a birdwatching nature lover like me and would blot out the stars.

I rationalized my trailer finances by comparing how much fun a fixed amount of money would purchase. I decided I could have more fun, better quality vacation, better location, nicer room (the trailer), better view for that window, no bedbugs or anonymous genetic material in my room. My trailer will "breakeven" in the first year I retire. I don’t want to sit in front of a TV waiting for death.

I love "outside" The video showing dining was a test to see what it was like to dine in the trailer and it was fun. I did not realize it would spark controversy or misinterpretation of the use. When I go west, if I find myself camping in a sand storm, high winds or a grasshopper plague, or cold I may choose to dine indoors. Any assumption I plan to eat every meal indoors would be silly - and you have not made that assumption.

My Feng shui comment was a bad attempt at humor. But I won’t let that stop me. I think you are on to something, My money does fly out of the wallet (even before I owned the trailer). So far I am getting good “qi” at my campsites. I will consult with Grandmaster Yap Cheng Hai before my next trip. My Luopan compass has not arrived yet. To keep my thoughts I usually sleep with the headboard behind me which serves as a mountain unless I stargaze that night. I try and pick a campground that puts me in the “mouth of the dragon”. Bar Harbor was pretty close and we did have a great experience there so it’s obviously working. I usually sleep with the window shade down which keeps some thought bouncing around in the trailer. Next time I camp I will close one door pull down the shade, and wait for more cash to roll in from Youtube payments (combined total is over a half million views so far)!

Teardtop videos in general seem to get lots of views. There is a very popular one for the 560. I could not find much on the 550.

Good camping
    -Cosmo

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  17. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Cosmo: :) re all, but especially re the Feng Shui.

Am glad the big window has a shade. That was probably obvious if I had watched your video more intently.

One of the "problems" with our 550 is that it stays so dark after sunrise that we typically find that we are sleeping way more than at home (and certainly we are sleeping later than if we were in the average tent). My wife and I are both a bit sleep-deprived, these days, but I was very surprised to find that we went to sleep at 9 and woke up...at 9!! 12 hours!!

(and this happens to us even if we sleep with the doors wide open!! OK, I guess it's obvious that C and I are too tired these days.)

I love this aspect of our TD, but I wouldn't mind a huge window.

and I totally agree that all of this discussion is fun and games.

Competition is good. If the Vistubule keeps CampInn on their toes, that's good for consumers AND good for CampInn.

One thing I am curious about, as I have seen this in another TD: why the passthrough to the kitchen? That seems odd and useless, but I have not lived with a passthrough so I don't understand the benefits.

-Al

18. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

Al
    I am not the designer so this is me talking about what I like.

• It offers surface space between the galley and cabin. I would measure it but I think most people have had enough of that.
    • There is an AC duplex outlet and a 12 volt outlet. Its a handy spot for storing things while they charge.
    • It offers ventilation. One of 5 windows that open. (when the galley hatch is open). I do have a propane sensor in case of a leak and The stove is far enough away so combustion fumes are not an issue.
    • The screens pop out if you want to pass a large shrimp platter or a tray full of champagne glasses. I do that when I am doing volunteer work taking patients from the nymphomania treatment center camping. I feel its good to give back to those who need help so I do what I can.
    • But most of all it provides views. When I wake up I like to check for wildlife. I have views on all 4 sides.
    • When driving I see thru the trailer (if I have not overloaded the car). I can see what is driving behind the trailer. It helps when someone is tailgating, coming up fast to pass me (ignoring my blinker) when I may change lanes etc.
    • It facilitates critical communication between the lazy guy looking at birds with binoculars on the futon and the cook/mead wench such as "pass me another flagon of mead". Or the reverse of that. If bickering erupts the pass thru can be closed until the mead kicks in and peace in the village returns.
    • As I start taking longer and longer trips I assume I will find more uses.
    A note on power I had 16 AC outlets installed and 6 DC outlets installed. You are no more than a few inches away from power no mater where you are in the trailer or galley. I am a an amateur radio operator and wanted more power when I go boondocking and set up a station to keep in touch with friends. So you may have to reach a foot to get power and I have to only reach a few inches. Ha! Gotcha. This is a huge help when I have to plug in the dish washer, washing machine and dryer.

Again none of the above makes my trailer superior or inferior to anyone else's its just what I like.

I have to go now. I am feeling urges to schedule more volunteer work.

-Cosmo

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Evan and AlCat like this.
  19. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

The thing I've always been envious of and thought would make a pass through to the galley so cool is that I could make my morning coffee from inside the cabin on those cool/cold mornings without ever having to get out of the warm bed/cabin or bundling up/getting dressed!

Casandra

20. Neil Barr

That is the best idea for a pass thru yet if it didn't take up so much good storage space. I guess having a small pot ready to turn on would do the same thing.