The GFCI didn't just trip the AC

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by SarahNell_and_Robert, Jul 15, 2013.

1. We loaded up the dogs and headed to Hickory Knob State Park on the SC/GA border along Thurmond Lake. Beautiful waterfront spot, empty campground, and a few rain showers. Arrived around 10 pm Friday night. Set up camp, ran the AC all night, slept like babies. Spent Saturday out on the boat with my parents, cooked a big lunch, sat and watched some more rain move through for a beautiful evening.

Hickory Knob is in the midlands of SC which equals red clay country. Red clay + rain + swimming does not equal jump into your teardrop. Game plan was to clean the dogs really well, grab a hot shower, turn into the cool AC. Game plan was moving along really well and then the AC just kinda puttered out. We just knew we couldn't have blown a fuse; we had one phone charging. With the crazy weather, we honestly questioned in the park's power hook up had a surge:) We checked its power separately and it was running just fine. We tried the reset button on the AC plug—but it was never resetting. You know, giving you that click the reset buttons do. No green light. No AC.

We put the dogs back in the car with the windows down because their hot breath was just not going to cut it inside. Turned the fan on, cracked the doors, went back to sleep.

Next morning while eating breakfast Robert says, "hmm...wonder if we just need to reset the GFCI outlet back here on the galley?" And before he could finish the sentence we both knew that was it. That was all we had to do to enjoy our lovely AC the night before. Cooking in the galley—even under the shelter—had allowed just enough moisture in we guess to trip the outlet. We thought it odd because a blown fuse would just blow the fuse, whereas the AC just kinda slowly quit running and turned off.

So there you have it. Night 8:) Just reset the GFCI outside and cold AC will run.

2. Biggie

Biggie Novice

Thanks for sharing this Sarah Nell! We have not had this happen as of yet but it is good to know. I'm not sure I would have thought of it right away. :)

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We've had that happen a couple of times, always during/after a rain storm. Now, that's the 1st thing I check after getting set up to be sure everything's working as it should.

4. 1Door

1Door Novice

We had this happen on our last trip (Fort Clinch) and it would be wonderful if the GFCI was installed inside the cabin instead of the galley...THEN you would not have to get out of the bed to go OUTSIDE and open the hatch in the dark...middle of the night...with wild creatures roaming all around...

5. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, Um-err... dumb question here...

WTH is a GFCI switch??? thr power Reset button...
    WTH=Milder version as 'What The Heck'... Just in case the kids are watching...

So what is the GFCI...???
    Wandering Minds Wanna Know...

thanks...

6. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

GFCI is that outlet in the galley with the reset button. Code requires anywhere there is water you have to have one.

GFCI Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter

7. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

What's the fun in that? Isn't camping supposed to be an adventure? :D

Where do you think the great stories around the campfire come from? ;)

Never had to reset ours...guess that is one advantage to not having AC. :)

:cool:

8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Jenn - neither would I, if I had it but, alas, it wasn't an option when our tear was built. ;)

9. 1Door

1Door Novice

I think you should ask Craig to rent one with AC for you on your next outing!

10. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Cool beans! Why haven't I heard about this before? You holding out on me??? ;)

11. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

LOL...we've used the rentals a few times when we needed to. Most of the time, our little portable fan works just fine. :)

12. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Just the sunroof...FF also wasn't an option back then. I love the sunroof...I keep hearing from the powers that be that I would love the FF better but I need to see the sky...course, I have been proven wrong in the past - as in "You will NEVER get me in one of those!(teardrops)"...um, yeahhhhh...

13. Get a 560 and have BOTH!

14. Perspective is EVERYTHING! When people approach me and ask the typical questions about my 560 and do I actually sleep in there, can I really fit in there - I LOVE telling them that mine is actually the Super Sized version and that the "normal" version is much smaller.

LisaNKevin likes this.