the latest long haul trip summer 2013

Discussion in 'Long Haul' started by jodennis, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jodennis

jodennis Newbie

Hi again! This last summer, Luke took his mother and the kids on an epic one month trek across the western US with the 560 Ultra (#163) and our Dodge Magnum RT (the Death Star). this trip commenced just after our son finished Kindergarten (around June 16th) and ended about July 20th. They left Oakland, CA and headed up to Glacier National Park, making pitstops at Boomtown, NV, and Missoula, MT. After Glacier, they went into Canada and hit up Calgary and Banff. HOWEVER, that area got their 100 year flood and the road to Banff was closed. Instead of going across Banff to Camloops, Vancouver, and back down to Seattle, they instead came back down into Idaho and stayed awhile at Cascaades National park. Then it was on to Seattle, along the Oregon coast, Portland, and Crater Lake NP. The kids (Jackson and Lili) LOVED Mt. St. Helens National Park and wouldn't stop talking about volcanoes for weeks. Meandering back into California, they hit up Lassen Volcanic park, before coming home. All told, the trip was about 5100 miles as there ended up being a lot of backtracking and many many little side trips along the way (just barely makes a long haul). The kids LOVED it and now there is a big summer roadtrip expectation. Yikes :)

2. 1Door

1Door Novice

Nice pictures...keep them coming!

3. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Welcome, nice pictures and story.

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I like the red alcan cover. Very nice!

5. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

That's right, train them young to love the outdoors. You are giving them joyous memories they will carry their entire lives.

Good for you.

Camp On

Sue

6. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Another great trip.
    Back tracking. Thats why Becky calls me U'ey.

7. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I haven't had a chance to say welcome, so WELCOME! It is always great seeing more young families with the Camp-Inns (or just camping for that matter). Being left coasters too, I can't wait to hear about your journeys. We are trying to hit a bunch of our National parks right now as well, and are considering some in BC and Alberta too. There is just so much to see, and it warmed my heart when my son brought home our Xmas gift from school, and his favorite vacation had a picture drawn of our teardrop. Makes all of the whining and crying and fits and carrying on almost worth it! He is excellent bear repellant though! :)

Looking forward to hearing of your journeys.