AR State Park The Natural State- Arkansas

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Eddie & Deborah, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Ed and I live in the Ozarks of Northwest Arkansas. Stunning place to live and camp. We pay an additional tax for our parks and it is well worth the money. Consider the beautiful scenic 7 highway, near the National Buffalo River.
    Grand Canyon of Arkansas- from Harrison, AR to Russellville, you will pass the "Grand Canyon of Arkansas." If you canoe or kayak, you can explore the meandering Buffalo River that is famous for it 600-700 feet bluffs. Hiking the most beautiful scenic Ozark mountains in the fall and spring are a must, if you are athletic.
    Bull Shoals on the White River in Northern Central Arkansas is wonderful. Reservations are a must (877-879-2741). If you live to Trout fish, this place is great.
    Lake DeGray-Someone mentioned Lake DeGray near Hot Springs, AR. They said it all! Love it! Reservations (501-865-5810)
    Lake Catherine-I love Lake Catherine State Park in Hot Springs also. Great campsites (501-844-4176)
    Mount Magazine State Park-One of my favorites- Mount Magazine State Park- Oh so nice. If it rains, go to the lodge to eat! (479-963-8502)
    Petit Jean Mountain- Love this one also! One of my favorites. It is near Russellville, AR also. (501-727-5441. There is a lodge there also. Wonderful campgrounds.
    Diamonds- If your wife likes Diamonds- then go to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro, AR. (870-285-3113). Campgrounds are wonderful and clean. But, about 15-20 min away is Daisy State Park and you can camp right on the lake. (870-398-4487)
    Ozark Folk Center State Park- Never stayed there, but their Folk Festival is great! (870-269-3851)
    Mount Nebo- Just out side of Dardanelle. Beautiful, but I would not take a camper up there. Too many switchbacks.There are cabins, and the vistas are gorgeous. (479-229-3655)
    Dardanelle State Park-on lake Dardanelle by Russellville, AR. Cute place. (479-978-5517)
    Withrow Springs State Park- Near Fayetteville, AR. I love this one. Full hook ups. (479-559-2593) We go here all the time.
    Lake Quachita State Park- Another one of my favorites off of Scenic Highway 7 out of Hot Springs, AR. Love it. (501-767-9366)
    Devil's Den State Park- South of Fayetteville, AR- "Go Hogs Go!" We go there to hike, the college kids go there a lot. (479-761-3325)
    Lake Fort Smith- Near Fort Smith - Home of Judge Parker- the Hanging Judge!Love this one, it has recently been updated and facilities are very nice. (501-369-2469) The downside is there is limited shade.
    Queen Wilhelmina State Park- Love, Love, Love this one. Located on the top of a mountain(the second highest mountain in the state). Small State Park, but so beautiful. It also has a lodge, so if it rains, you can eat there. Facilities are wonderful and clean. Stay there mid to late Oct and see the autumn fall colors and ride the 50 some mile ridge of the Talimena Scenic Drive. The park is named after a Queen that lived in the Netherlands. It has a small Children's train runs two miles around the park for children, but we adults enjoy the ride also. (800-264-2477)
    Beaver Lake- has many campgrounds in Northwest Ar. Parkers Bottom campgrounds, The Pines, Indian Creek, Prairie Creek, Dam Site, Horseshoe Bend, Hictory Creek, etc. They are a part of the CCC. The little town called "Beaver Town" has a little golden gate bridge.
    Roaring River- Mo- Just across the state line has beautiful campgrounds (facilities are so- so), but the trout fishing is great.
    Arkansas is truly a wonder to see and visit. Hope this is of interest to someone.
    Deborah & Eddie

LisaNKevin, Jenn and Tom & Diana P like this.
  2. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Thanks for this excellent description of your beautiful state. Now I'm really moving AR up on my list for the fall.

Diana

Eddie & Deborah likes this.
  3. You are too nice.