Things You Forgot But Wish You Hadn't

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by Lh303, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

We are departing Friday for Necedah to pick up our 550 Ultra. We have gone through pages of lists regarding items we believe are must haves, we have even included a bottle of Champagne to celebrate our first night. What in your experience has been an item or items that you did not think of, but when you realized you didn't have it you could have kicked yourself.
    Leo

2. eroling

eroling Newbie

Corkscrew!

Opening a bottle of wine by mangling the cork with a knife is decidedly sub-optimal.

mariusz likes this.
  3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I know this is a faux pas, but if you don't have a corkscrew, we have been known to push the cork right into the bottle...just means you need to finish what you start (or get creative to reseal!).

For me, it was measuring cups on our first weekend as a family camping. Normally, I cook from scratch, but it had been a long day and we went for a meal in the box. Had to improvise, which was no problem. Later on I found some great collapsible measuring cups I have added. On our trips, I was as prepared as I felt I could be, and figured, if something came up that I needed, it would be small, and I could find it along the way.

I would make sure to pack an open mind and heart, so all experiences will be open to you!

Have a great trip and congrats!

4. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

First be sure and pack your sense if humor cause there are always glitches and things never work out like we imagine them to be. Getting a routine down where everything goes is very important because you don't want to be hunting for something in the dark and trying no to wake your spouse.

What I do is visualize everything I do: if I'm cooking a meal, I "see" myself cooking it: light a fire (use a bic lighter), open a can if corn ( use a can opener),pot holders, wash dishes ( soap, sponge) etc. That way I dint forget MUCH- but there's always gonna be something - sorry!

5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

UNDERWEAR

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Wallet, keys, phone - my three top usual suspect items for being lost or forgotten.

7. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

As it turned out the only thing of note that we forgot was an extension cord to power up an electric heater in the frosty north. Our temperature range ran from freezing up in Wisconsin and parts of Iowa to 102 in the Panhandle area of Texas. I picked up the cord at a Home Depot in Iowa. I must admit that as an electrical engineer I feel a bit sheepish about this, I did however have two cork screws.

8. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

actually, I think you had your priorities straight.

NH Wanderlust likes this.
  9. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

But did you have the wine? :)

10. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

The wine was the first item packed, as well as a bottle of champagne, this, just in case the corkscrews failed.
    Leo

LisaNKevin likes this.
  11. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

google "remove cork with shoe"

if you bang the bottom of a wine bottle with a shoe, it will slowly force the cork out until you can grab it and remove it

(or you can place the bottom of the wine bottle in the bottom of the shoe - at the heel - and then bang the heel against a wall or tree, forcing the cork out slowly)

no need for the knife method

win a bet with this at every campground!!

12. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Could we have a video of that please :D

13. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Using a tree ,

And with a shoe - and what a shoe, oui?

14. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Perfect. Absolutely ----ing perfect!!

Kisses,
    Hilditch

15. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Ok, we will do that from now on! Thanks!

16. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Me thinks that would or could be deadly with bubbly

17. Travelguy

Travelguy Novice

Also to note that better bottles of wine will have built up sediment that is not to be disturbed which is why you gently poor out the wine and have a sediment trap if not. New wine not aged long will not be a big deal to use the heal method :) .

18. Feel you on that sentiment. Phone, wallet, keys! FYI there is a little bad language.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  19. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Gas can spout. We carry NATO style gas cans to have extra fuel for boondocking. Without the spout it is impossible to get the fuel into the tank. That trip to death valley had severely restricted excursions. Stopping at several auto parts houses was no help, they had spouts for other types of cans, but not those.

20. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Absolutely nothing. I *always* bring too much junk. I tell myself its for safety, etc, but I never use half of it.

Take what you need, and no more. That's the beauty of the teardrop, its not about bringing your whole house with you, its just awesome to be in a small, maneuverable trailer that can get into spots a driver would never attempt with a big trailer.

Congratulations on your new trailer. Enjoy !