Tips For: Se Co, Ne Nm, Ok Panhandle

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Tom & Diana P, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

We're preparing for a loop road trip from the Houston area through the juncture of TX-OK-KS-CO-NM, leaving late next week. We've already booked the first couple of nights in mid-March at Possum Kingdom SP (north of Fort Worth) to start out, and a couple of nights at Caprock Canyon SP in the Texas panhandle on the return, with a final stop at Inks Lake SP for the TX teardrop gathering at the end of March.

We'll stay a few nights at Bandelier Nat'l Monument in N Central NM, and we're tentatively planning to visit Black Mesa SP in the OK panhandle. What campgrounds/parks/sites do you recommend to add to our skeleton of a road trip? Do you have any "must see" sites in this area? We've passed through the region many times, but haven't done a lot of camping there. (Exceptions: we're well familiar with Bandelier NM and Palo Duro SP in TX.) Thanks in advance for any tips you may offer us!

Diana

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Hi Diana, I don't think I can contribute much to your itinerary but would love it if you do post your experiences camping in that area. It's always fun to read about other folk's adventures. Ben H

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Tom & Diana P likes this.
  3. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We have stayed at Lake Meredith NRA north of Amarillo. It was a Corp of Engineer Campsite and was free. The views from the camp area were amazing of the reservoir. Nice covered picnic tables you can back right up under. There were nice clean restroom facilities. We there in August and only 4 other campers in the site. Also if you have time take the time and visit Alibates (flint Quarries) National Monument, well worth your time. 20150708_180041.jpg 20150708_180314.jpg

4. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

There's a new "Campsites for Little Campers and Tents" Facebook group that has been pretty helpful for campsite recommendations. It's a closed group so link says "Security Check Required".

Security Check Required

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  5. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

I also feel like I can't be helpful, but would love to hear your experiences. This area is one that I always have to rush through.... Lorie