Total Length

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by jfocallag, Jul 5, 2013.

1. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have been looking at the driveway lengths listed at several of the Oregon State parks particularly for the tent sites. It got me thinking about the overall length of my forester and 560. Based on the net, the forester is about 15 feet and the 560 is 13 ' 11". Allowing for the hitch, the combined length is about 28 1/2 feet.

Does anyone know the distance from the bumper to the wheel? If I had to guess it is not more than 2 feet. My camper is in storage otherwise I would measure myself. I am curious what I need as a minimum driveway length when choosing a campsite.

Thanks

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Joan, I use the Tent sites from time-to-time if, and a big "If" it will fit 2 cars, then I figure I'm OK, unless it's an obvious "Tent Site"... When I asked the Camphost or the Ranger, they're main concern is that you're not sticking out onto the road or whatever.
    I find in the worst cast, other than a real campsite site, you can turn the trailer around, 5' and back the car into it, most sites will work.

Now the sites for RSVP have the "Equipment <18'" I figure I'm good.. will vary of course, but check wth the ranger or host. San Juan, Salt Creek, had that issue and they didn't care as long as you're off the drive way...

[​IMG]

I was close on this one, had to park at a slant to keep off the road, but worked just fine..

[​IMG]

Note, I'm right on the edge, so had to park on a slant...
    Still had a little room, but not much...

Hope that helps..

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Just measured mine and it is 2.5ft from the wheel to the back of my trailer (I don't have the bumper yet, so add a little for that).

Sarah

4. fpoole

Whoops sorry, mis-read the post.

I just measured mine, 550 w/bumpber to wit:
    Center of wheel to bumper: 37-38"
    Back of wheel/tire to bumper: 22-23"

higher measurements for an inch error..

HTH...

5. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks Sarah and Frank. The reason I asked is that most Oregon state parks have a parking block at the end of the drive. I was wondering how much this would give me if I backed up all the way to the block.

Although doing that makes the galley difficult to use, toes bumping into the block. Angling the camper or turning it sideways me be a better option.

6. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I know the bumper you are talking about. I tend to trip over them if I don't leave enough room. It also renders your leveling jacks fairly useless. I think turning the Far Fars might be your best option it tight situations. Plus sometimes, it leaves you a lovely view out your window! On, and I measured from the back of the wheel. I figured that would be the spot against the parking bumper.

Fwiw, with my truck I always look for spots that are 38'+, and I like a min of 40' if I can get it. Most of the campgrounds I have been to, I have fit in. Also, I sometimes throw my rig in a little sideways. Some times they come and ask me to fix the situation, others they don't mind so long as I am out of the road mostly.

7. fpoole

Parking blocks...
    I always intentionally back up the tires to the Parking blocks. It stabilizes (putting a stop-block/wedge on the other end of tire inside) the TD and keeps me from tripping over them but more important the cooking/kitchen area is grass or dirt or whatever, but not concrete. Sometimes a little harder to cook, a little higher, but like a counter at a food station, doable.