Towing Question

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Jaime, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Jaime

Jaime Newbie

I've never really towed anything before. We added a hitch to our Honda Odyssey so we could haul our bikes and opted for the larger hitch which takes a 2" or 3" ball (if I remember correctly). The towing capacity of the Odyssey is 3500 lbs.

Do I need to worry about adding a transmission cooling unit? One of the hockey dads who has a travel trailer mentioned I would want to do this given the hills we have in WV.

I also need to add something for the electric breaks (I don't think the aftermarket hitch installers put hookups in for them)

Jaime

2. Jaime

Jaime Newbie

This should probably be in the towing section...I'll learn eventually...sheesh.

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Well, just an off the wall thought, Yes and Yes...

Electric brakes, not only because they'll help, but in a few, mind you just a few states, they are required.. so the question is. avoid those states?
    Not.. and the trans cooler, wouldn't hurt eh? but Hauling 3500lbs, may not need it, TD are light.. relatively speaking that is... might check with dealership/service manual..

HTH

4. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

They are required in Oregon anything over 1000 lbs I think so as it was relatively inexpensive relative to the total it would probably be a good idea especially once you visit Oregon you would not want to live anywhere else.

Dave

5. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Jaime,

Yes to the brakes. No to the transmission cooler.
    We towed our 560 with a Honda CR-V for 2 years - no problems at all. The engineers at Honda know what they are doing, and the Honda engine has something of a transmission cooler built in from the factory.

The CR-V is rated for #1500. I'm sure you'll have no problem with a #3500 tow rating.

6. Jaime

Jaime Newbie

I had a conference in Oregon a few years ago. It was an amazing place, for sure.

Alas, I was born in WV and there's something in our genetic coding that sees it as the greatest place on earth.

Almost Heaven... :)

7. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I think many feel that way...my family has been here for generations, and I can't see living anywhere else. Need to check out WV at some point though. I have heard great things!

PS-general consensus, from what I have read here, better to regret having the brakes and not needing them, then not having them when you do. We have them as well, although I don't remember it being a requirement at the time we bought (maybe that has changed). We have a lot of big mountains out here and hills and it seemed like a good idea with my original tow vehicle (BMW Sportwagon). I now have an SUV, so I am not as worried, but I made a difference on my smaller car. I like having them even now. Peace of mind.

8. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

Regarding the brakes, I think you just need to have them if the state you register the vehicle in has that law. It doesn't mean you can't drive through those states if yours does not require it.

That said, I like having the brakes anyway but it matters more the smaller your car is.

9. slumry

slumry Novice

I will add that we not only got the electric brakes, we got them with the hand brake option. The hand brake is only offered with the electric brake. Adding the hand brake is pretty expensive; however, I will say that even though I am not sure how much benefit I have gotten from the electric brakes, having the hand brake has been a real help. For some reason here in the NW, the trailer tends to end up parked on a slope, including the driveway it lives on at home. I normally have to hitch up by myself so once the trailer starts moving on its own, it really help to be able to stop it in its tracks with the hand brake. YMMV.

10. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Just put a wheel chock or block of wood on the downhill side and spend the extra $500.00 on some good times.

By the way what is YMMV?

Dave

11. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Your Mileage May Vary

12. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

We opted for the brakes, subscribing to the idea "better to have and not need, yada, yada, yada" …glad we did. On our way to the CICO we went through WV and decided to by-pass the portion of I64 that is a toll road …read now we have to go over instead of through the mountain. Because of its size, many say you don't even know the trailer's behind you. Trust me when I say, you can feel that little 1500lb. trailer pushing you down a hill. I believe having the trailer brakes help bleed off some of that unwanted speed when going into some of those twisties, especially at night when they come up on you outta nowhere.

13. You mention you towed camp-inn trailer with BMW wagon.

What year? 3 series? What brand/model hitch

we are thinking of buying camp-inn, have a 2004, 325 wagon, lots of confusing information whether car is suited for towing.

What

14. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Welcome to the forum Kauai Steve! Can't help with info on your tow vehicle. I'm wondering if you'll be using your CampInn on Kauai? We met a guy on Maui last year who had made his own teardrop - he basically was living on the beach. I think I'd be willing to give that a try - Jenn's foot washing system would be a must! (See this post for what that is.)