towing with Honda Element?

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Cathy L, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Cathy L

Cathy L Newbie

Anyone towing with a Honda Element?

2. Alan Hill

Alan Hill Novice

Cathy,
    We did have a customer in western PA that was towing with an Element. They said it did just fine.
    Alan

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Cathy,

Yes, a number of people pulling with the Elements. Even a couple of the 560 series. Kind of like the CRV in the fact that the engine has great torque for pulling. Your unit would pull fine behind one.

Cary

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I would guess that the Element has a very similar if not the same engine as the CR-V - and the CR-V will pull a 560 to Alaska and back.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I tow with a Element, we call it Helement. it's a manual tranny which I believe helps. It is the same engine as crv. We pulled through steep mountain passes in west Virginia, it does well but you will be in 4th gear a lot, so forget about cruise control! I must say, on the highway, you forget the 560 is even behind you. Also, Honda requires electric brakes for loads over 1000 lbs.

6. Cathy L

Cathy L Newbie

Thanks!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Also, my last trip from va to ks we averaged 24 mpg pulling the 560. The Element gets good mileage IF you can stay below 70 mph and reduce hard acceleration. Over 70, the cube factor seems to come into play. It's a cube, not very aerodynamic shape. If you are looking to buy a new element, you better hurry....it's the last year it's being made!

8. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

I just saw an element - "the box" as I call it, going down the road and it was GORGEOUS! It was solid black and SHINE-EEE! I have two friends who own them - 1 red and 1 green. Both love it.

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

We also have 2 in the family. An 03 and 08. Tough lil boxes! Drive one, you will either love it or hate it. The driving position is very 'truck like'. You can see over the top of the 560 in the rearview mirror.

10. paulnkathy

paulnkathy Newbie

I own a 2011 Element. I plan on purchasing a 360. I have questions regarding preparing to tow. Is there a particular issue with the Honda hitch? Honda is prewired to accept a wiring harness ending in a 4-way receptical. To end up with a 7-way round, is it better to adapt to the 4-way, or just pay to have it wired for a 7-way from the git-go? Are trailer brakes necessary? I've heard both yes and no. thanx

11. Evan

Hello, Pol. Welcome to the forum. I also have a Honda, a CR-V. I wasted money and had Honda install their 1 1/4" factory hitch when I bought it. After we bought our 560, I threw away the Honda hitch and installed a Curt 2" hitch. With a smaller tow vehicle like the Element, I think you should get the trailer brakes. It will be much safer and I think you will feel better about towing. So, in that case, you would want to have a local trailer shop install the 7 pin harness and brake controller.

Read this thread about how to make sure the shop wires things correctly:
    http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7593#Post7593

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I too tow with an Element. if your trailer is over 1000 lbs you MUST get brakes on trailer. Honda says so in owners manual and I totally agree. The 4 prong doesn't allow for brakes or to charge trailer battery from tow vehicle. I actually do use the 1 1/4 hitch with no issues (yet).

13. paulnkathy

paulnkathy Newbie

Evan - thanx for the reply. Why did you replace the Honda hitch with another make?

14. Evan

I wanted a 2" receiver because of the higher rating. My 560 is probably heavier than most (lots of gear), so this isn't going to be an issue for everyone. If you don't already have a Honda hitch I recommend the Curt. The bolt pattern fit perfectly, and it is very well made.

15. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

I tow with a 2007 Element SC with an automatic transmission, 7 pin connector, brake controller, and charge the trailer battery via the connector. I also have a 2-inch receiver. Pay attention to the height of your hitch ball as too high or too low can negatively effect towing dynamics (recommended height is listed in the trailer manual available on this site).

The Element handles the trailer well... just realize you need more time / distance for braking, even with trailer brakes which I highly recommend. Mountain climbs will require a lower gear and head winds will keep an automatic out of overdrive but the Element is tough and can handle it.

I recommend installing circuit breakers for the brake controller and battery charge circuits. Be sure to use 10 gauge wire. And make sure to use a 10 gauge ground wire between the tow vehicle's 7 pin connector ground pin and the frame. I drilled a hole in the tow vehicle's frame and used a self tapping screw to connect to the tow vehicle's electrical ground.

16. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

Eric n Joan:

We are thinking of a used honda element (~2007) to use as TV for the 550 we'll be picking up this summer. What's your experience using the clamshell hatch when hooked to the td? Any interference with the Element tailgate? Any other pros/cons w/ the element pulling your 550?

17. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

I've not been on the CampInn user forum for a couple months and just saw your posted question about towing with an Element. Sorry for the delayed response...

Regarding opening the tailgate or rear hatch with the TD hitched, I've not had any issues. The tailgate just clears the tongue clamp lever on the trailer - but just barely. Ball - hitch height will have some bearing on this...

I bought a device that clamps the ball mount to the hitch receiver - this eliminates slack and therefore the clunk of the ball hitch in the receiver every time you start or come to a stop. Available @ Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Clamp-Heavy-...y+duty+-+2+inch

Overall the Element handles our 550 SUV with little fuss.

Keep in mind that my Element is the SC model which has a lowered suspension (about 1-inch lower than LX or EX models). Pay attention to the height of the hitch ball. I had to find a ball mount with about a 2-inch rise to be within the recommended hitch height. Different height ball mounts are available to accommodate the recommended tongue height when hitched. See the towing basics section / page 37 of the CI owner's manual.

If I were to do it over again, I would not purchase the SC model for the reasons below. I suggest going with an EX or LX model Element. Regarding a 4WD model, I've gotten along fine with the front drive SC - but then I"m very selective where I tow - no trips up a single lane dirt forest road.... 4WD will also drop your MPG by a mile or two.

1 - The larger wheel size on the SC means more expensive tires when time to replace.

2 - The larger tires have less sidewall which along with the SC's lowered suspension, makes for a stiffer ride. The SC certainly handles corners better with the lower suspension and larger diameter tires, but the trade off in ride comfort isn't worth it in my opinion.

3 - At 65,000+ miles, it's time for new shocks / struts. The SC's lowered suspension requires a special strut for the front wheels which is only available from Honda which means they're more expensive. The rear shocks are the same for SC and non-SC models and there are non-Honda parts available at lower cost.

On the plus side, the Element is a box that has tons of volume behind the front seats which is great for stowing camping gear. It's not aerodynamic but I still see an average MPG in the low 20's while towing.

Last fall I was towing the TD north on I-25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM. It's a steady climb up to SF and we had a really stiff headwind. To keep a decent speed the transmission frequently downshifted to 4th and 3rd gear. Honda engines typically hit their peak HP and torque at higher RPM's. The engine is designed to handle the higher RPM's and has to work harder in these situations - but it does handle it if you're willing to drive a little slower. Towing is a slower drive anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Finally, if you get an Element with an automatic transmission, I recommend having the transmission serviced more often. I also use full synthetic engine oil (Castrol or Mobile 1).

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Eric

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  18. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

I'll just throw a couple thoughts in. We picked our 550 up and drove back to Fla with an automatic 2WD Element EX. We later took a trip to S.C. I loved my Element but it struggled on hills in Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia. It had trouble building up speed and it seemed to jerk the car a bit on stops and starts. We decided it was working too hard and the transmission was going to get fried. Plus, it had heavy mileage. Ended up replacing it with a Kia Sorento V6 and it's much more capable. I do miss my Pickle Toaster though. :-(

19. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

So, what year was your Element? They got a horsepower boast in '07, I think.

20. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

It was a 2006.