towing with Honda Element?

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Cathy L, Mar 15, 2011.

1. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

For what it's worth, I'm keeping my Element. While it's certainly a little under powered when towing in the mountains, it is adequate if you drive slower and allow for longer acceleration and braking distances (good towing practice on any vehicle) . I can't justify the expense of a new tow vehicle anyway. Overall the Element and TD combo tows well and the boxy Element's volume can hold a lot of gear.

For our next tow vehicle the torque and economy of a diesel engine is very attractive. The VW Jetta diesel Sportwagon or something similar will get serious consideration. My wife's VW Golf diesel is 14 years old, has 250,000 miles, gets 50 MPG on the highway, and still runs great.

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am very curious about the towing capacity of the new Volvo lineup, as they will all be equipped with 4, yes FOUR, cylinder engines - no 5, 6 or 8 cylinder engine in the new Volvo lineup. 4 cylinder plus turbo plus supercharger plus electric. Plenty of horsepower, but....how will they tow?

3. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

What a difference a year makes... Needs changed, other car was getting old, etc...

We just traded our 2007 Element for a 2015 Ford Escape with a 1.6L turboboost engine. We loved the Element for it's cavernous space but didn't like the hard ride. The Escape is smaller, lighter, makes better gas mileage, and even with the smaller engine, the turbo charged engine has more power and torque. We've been forced to pack less which so far has been a good thing.