Transit Stowing of Table Extension

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by skissinger, Jan 5, 2015.

1. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I know I saw this customization regarding stowing of the table extension during travel on the forum here somewhere, but now I can't find it. I just want everyone to know this was not my idea--this was someone else's idea that I've stolen.

If you have the table extension, here's one way possible way to store it while traveling. Two velcro straps (the ones I had in my drawer were 11"), 4 screws; make sure they are short enough so you don't inadvertently go through the table top! I used a regular manual screwdriver.

Note I combined two ideas into one... I just saw Inn42 's Garbage Bag holder and thought... hm... this could be combined! So before I put in the velcro, I (not very scientifically) took a plastic grocery bag and sort of figured out "about" where I'd need the 1st velcro strap, if I was going to use that instead of the eyelet screw Inn42 used (http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=31193) or (http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=31180)

Once I had that, then it was just a matter of screwing in the velcro; two screws per strap jic. It was really a lucky break that where the velcro happened to fall was right where one could tuck the velcro in/under the extensions' bolts. I think that will help keep it more stable in transit. So... this is NOT road tested; but it feels pretty stable.

And now I also have velcro straps under the table; what I'll use them for while camping (if anything) I don't know yet. If I end up NOT using it as a garbage bag holder, I'm vaguely thinking it would be a place to have things that if a sudden shower were to happen... it wouldn't get (too) wet.
    -umbrella holder?
    -dish rags/dish towel hanging location?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As a potential grocery bag garbage holder, similar to Inn42 's idea.
    [​IMG]

2. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

For our table extension we had been putting it on top of the cooler behind the table. It had a habit of always moving on us. I took a couple of pieces of Velcro and putting them on the back of the extension and on the back wall. I used clear Velcro so you can not even see them. The extension now stays perfectly in its new home and is out of the way. (Resting on the aluminum on each side).
    Uncle Frank said to us when we bought le droppe from him "Velcro is your friend", we listened.

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, yah, 3 best things in camping world are Velcro, Duct Tape and Painters Tape (removable/restickable)....

I'm starting to "Velcro Up" on the new truck, elbow pads... it works...

Heyya Larry, I didn't know you went up to Canada.. nice...
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but kewl...

Nice mod too Sherry, and don't for get Zip Ties.. I had to use that for the extension to keep it from sliding off when table was hooked up.
    Newer ones have a latch or something to keep it from accidentally sliding off...

That's the fun of it all, you get to come up with great ideas in problem solving, heheh, fun..

4. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We did something similar to Larry and Peg with Velcro, we put ours on the bottom of the larger side table then place our Pa Haque shelter on top. All fits nicely witb galley closed. Ron and Missy

5. Larry Running

Frank,
    We went on a two week trip with Pegs sister and brother in law. They have an RV and almost always stay in commercial campgrounds. We showed them the pleasure of dry camping. Now they want to follow us anywhere. Except for the devastation from the pine bark beetles, the mosquitos, the kids, and the total campfire ban in BC it was a great trip. We have now added a "little red campfire" (propane) to our growing pile of things to take. Should be great with all the ban on fires this year.

6. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, way kewl....

Fires are so bad that even propane this time aren't allowed...

Currently in your neck of the woods, truck in Spirit Lake, getting the flatbed attached to the truck... nice to see clear skies again, last time, several weeks ago, going to Kellogg, smoking..

7. Larry Running

Are you going to stop by and see us in Coeur d'Alene? We leave Monday morning for about 50 nights in "The Silver Pullit". Love to see you before we go.
    You have my phone number.

8. Larry Running

We have an early model extension which does not "lock" in place. A bump to the outside of the table can bring the whole table down as it will slide the extension out of the bracket. (I understand this has been solved in newer extensions). Today I made a simple oak lock. It is just a small piece which fits over the right side of where the extension fits onto the tear. Think a letter U upside down but in oak. Sorry I can't yet do pictures. This piece then Velcros (thank you Frank)inside the extension so it has a home and is handy to get to when its needed.