Transporting Generator And Gasoline

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Dan Howett, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Dan Howett

Dan Howett Newbie

My wife and I bought a small Honda generator. Short of buying a roof rack for our Subaru and carrying the generator and gas can up there, has anyone figured out a good way to transport this equipment without it sticking 8' up in the air and not stinking the camper/car interior with gas fumes?

Anybody figured out a good rack design to build for the trailer tongue? I was doing some sketching last week and it looks tight to have a 2-gallon can, the generator, and the propane tank up there.

This trip we carried the generator inside the car and noticed no smell. Have other folks found the generator to be well-sealed like this? The gas can was ratcheted to the bare roof bars, which is definitely not a preferred idea.

I appreciate everyone's ideas.

2. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We have hauled our generator around continuously for 26 months - no problems with smells. Just be certain to open the cap vent daily, especially in hot weather. That will create some fumes, but they dissipate quickly if you leave the doors open for a few minutes.

3. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

There is a company called LoPro LockDown that makes generator model specific base plates that can be mounted. Don't know if there is room on the toungue or not.

All Products

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  4. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Nice, if it would work. There clearly is not sufficient room on a 550.

5. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I use a Stromberg Carlson aframe tongue rack that I fit to the height I thought best. I then bolted a generator storage box made for a Honda 2000 onto the rack. The generator is over 4 feet from any opening in the 560. The db inside the camper, measured on the sofa is 59. The new 2200s have a bluetooth app that lets you shut the gen off from inside the camper, a CO monitor (but does not help inside so I use a separate CO monitor inside), and the app lets you see the amps or watts being pulled. Weight distribution is a concern so I’m careful on loading to make sure my tongue weight is between 200 and 250 pounds by using a trailer load gauge. You can get extended run fuel kits that let you run for a full weekend. Ps: I’m careful to avoid running the gen around other campers, nobody appreciates the constant drone but ac in a secluded area is nice.

6. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

would love to see some pics!
    Wou

7. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

Here’s a photo with the cover over the gen box.

Attached Files: