Traveling with Pets

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by birder526, Jan 23, 2016.

1. birder526

birder526 Novice

I know many of you travel and camp with your dogs. Does anyone do so with a cat? Sounds absurd, I know! Just wondering!

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have a friend who has traveled with her cat. The cat is leash trained and has a laid back personality most of the time. I would say you would want to get the cat young and introduce it to lots of different situations. If it was skittish and got out you may never see it again. My friend has a camper on her pick up so has room for kitty litter. It might be harder in a teardrop. Leash training would be a must in my opinion.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Whether traveling with a dog or cat, the first thing to realize is that all animals have distinct personalities. Some personality traits can be modified through training, but some will be hard wired and can't be changed. It will be the personality of the animal that will inform you about whether they will be a good travel companion.

We had friends in Boise who traveled with their cat, which they had always had as an indoor cat. That required a large RV because they had to have room for the litter box.

In general, most dogs make better travel companions. They are more easily trained and they are pack animals - sleeping in a teardrop with the owner(s) to them is like snuggling up with their litter mates when they were young. Dogs are wired for that scenario, so they love it. Cats are more aloof and will want some place to get away from you. And my experience is that it is a bad idea to have an unhappy cat.

With dogs you need to understand that there is a continuum of energy levels, and most breeds generally can be classified as low energy, medium energy or high energy. A low energy dog like a Lhasa Apso won't require much of your attention and makes a great lap dog. A high energy dog like a Jack Russell Terrier will require a LOT of attention, and they are masters at manipulating their owners.

For us, a medium energy dog makes a great travel companion. Lana is pretty low key except for about an hour every day, late in the afternoon. Then she's full of energy. If left on her own she would go blasting through the woods at full speed for about a half hour, jumping over and around obstacles and perfecting her high speed turns. With that need accommodated every day, she's content to lay around all day or go hiking all day. When not being active, she only needs her ball or a bone to keep boredom at bay.

I wouldn't recommend becoming a first time pet owner while living in a camper of any size. You'll want to know that your pet will always want to be with you before you go on the road. Otherwise, the first time they get loose could be the last time you see them.

4. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Our camper actually belongs to our dog. We're just fortunate that Rika allows us travel her her! This is her claiming her spot on day one and we haven't been able to keep her out since! Ha Ha!

[​IMG]

5. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Diane and Michael,

I agree that it depends on the nature of the kitty. One that is affectionate and likes to be underfoot will stay close by. Ideally, the cat should tolerate a leash and be willing to travel crated inside the car. Since you are full timing in your teardrop, your cat would be both an indoor and outdoor cat. A litter box is optional while base camping if your area is private and has shrubs, trees, etc. Otherwise, a litter box is needed and can be placed under the trailer. Most campgrounds have rules about pets and waste. The real problem is during warm and hot weather. If you are traveling and want to stop and site see, you have to make arrangements for the pet as you cannot leave them in a hot car. PetSmarts have "daycare," provided you check ahead. Some veterinarian clinics offer daycare / boarding services. These are popular so you have to reserve ahead of time. The need to plan in advance may get in the way of last minute adventures that arise.
    You've got some experience now as full-time teardrop campers. Only you can determine if having a cat will work for you. Pets offer a lot of love, joy, and company.
    I wish you well in your decision.

Deb

6. birder526

birder526 Novice

Thanks, Deb, for your thoughtful reply. Great advice! Still pondering and researching. Will keep you updated on our decision.

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

Rika is beautiful and awfully nice to share her teardrop with you!! In decent weather, do you leave her in your car if you are sightseeing or hiking? How does she do being left alone for a bit?

8. birder526

birder526 Novice

Yes, we would need to leash train most definitely. There's a wonderful breed we are considering that travel well and can be leash trained easily, so we have learned. They are Pixie Bobs. We are giving it serious consideration. Will keep you posted! Thanks.

9. birder526

birder526 Novice

Steve and Alea, thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts about traveling with a pet. We have lots to consider! We are still looking into this. Will keep you posted about our plans.