TriMetric - understanding your state of charge

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by Doug & Amber, May 17, 2016.

1. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

We had a Bogart Engineering TriMetric installed on our 560. Specifically, the device is called the TM 2030-RV. Cary was super helpful in the install and helping me figure it all out.

This device allows me to watch in real time my exact usage and charge of the battery. Said another way, I can see how many watts or amps each electronic device is using or how much charge I am putting to my battery via shore power, generator or solar.

A volt meter will tell you only state of charge, say 12.1 volts. Much like the fuel gauge in your car, it will tell you 1/2 a tank left. But, it doesn't tell you your rate of consumption or when you will run out at your given rate of consumption.

I now know how much juice I am using at any given point of time and can easily tell how much use I have before I need to recharge. This is great for boondocking when battery power is all you have. It helps you manage your battery supply and maximize time when "off the cord".

Hope this helps other geeks out there like me.

[​IMG]

2. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

This is cool! How difficult is the install?

3. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

LOL! The install was a piece of cake, I had Cary's team do it during construction.
    I did read the installation instructions and they didn't look too bad. I would guess that it's an easier install during construction but Cary should have the final word.

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

It is easier during construction for sure. But, depending on where you locate it in the trailer it certainly is feasible afterwards.

Cary

5. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Their website does provide a list of distributors. . I may reach out to you Cary if I find one that is willing to do the installation.