TV Volume Problem

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by Randy, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

My TV volume works fine when watching regular TV either via cable or antenna. However when watching any other content, e.g., DVDs or Netflix via HDMI cable, the volume only goes so loud (not loud enough) even when adjusting it to 100%. I have played with all the settings to no avail. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Randy

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Mine is the same. But my home setup is also the same, I need to adjust the volume up significantly higher when I play a DVD than from my broadcast receiver. Several members have added an external radio/amp/speaker to their trailers. I am considering at least adding an amp & speakers (I feel no need for a radio).

3. Randy

Even with the. volume at 100% when playing a DVD it is not loud enough. Not clear why the volume can be loud enough at about 10% when watching TV stations but not loud enough at 100% when watching a DVD or Netflix.

4. rotus8

I think the reason is that video with artistic content actually cares about sound quality and so don't over modulate the sound. Broadcast on the other hand boosts the signal (and especially the advertisements) to the maximum modulation to push their content, and sound quality be damned.

5. Randy

It's a problem for me since I don't have the TV hooked up to an external amp and speakers and my hearing is less than what it used to be :)!

Just as an aside, the only volume out connections available on the TV is a one plug headphone jack.

6. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Randy,

The headphone jack is what you would use to connect external amplified speakers. The small speaker sound on the TV just never lives up the level of the picture quality so it is common to add better speakers to give you more of the home theater feel.

Cary

7. Randy

Thanks for the reply Cary.

What is really odd is that there is more than enough volume when watching TV stations, the volume only has to be turned up to around 10% and continues to increase up to 100%.When streaming HDMI or playing a DVD however, the volume stops increasing at about 30% and is not loud enough.

I was going to connect the headphone out to the auxiliary in on my stereo head unit, but man, that head unit is really buttoned up tight in the metal housing and I can't figure out how to get it out in order to access the inputs on the back side of it.If only I lived closer to Necedah.....

8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Randy,

You'll have to plug in that head phone jack with the TV in place. The TV really does not come out of the mounting bracket without taking the whole assembly out. We use a small inspection mirror for making the connection.

Really the volume being different between the TV and DVD player does make sense. They are two separate units installed in the same case. The DVD player has it's own completely different audio circuitry so I would not expect it to sound the same as the TV channel function. They are notably quieter on DVD than TV. Like you said, the higher percentage of the volume scale doesn't make much of an increase.

Cary

9. Randy

Thanks Cary, it's the back of the stereo head unit that's tough to get at.

10. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

We just returned from an extended trip and also discovered the lack of volume when watching dvd's. What can be done to simply increase the volume when watching a dvd? I am also a little dismayed that I have to now alter a component or add additional items to use it. I wish this would have been revealed when we bought the TV option.

11. rotus8

I have this problem also and have been thinking that a simple amplified speaker might do the trick. A quick search on Amazon turned up this which is intended for laptops. It is a small speaker with amplifier that is powered from a USB port. It could be plugged into the TV headphone jack and USB port and possibly mounted under the self under the TV. I am sure there are a number of products of this type that would work.

The "right" way is to add a couple of speakers behind the grills in the upper corners of the cabinets and an amplifier somewhere, with power patched into the TV power switch, but a simple add-on is much easier.

12. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Is there a way to easily remove the grills in the upper corners of the camper?

13. rotus8

No, they are part of the structure of the cabinets. Speakers would have to be mounted behind, with bodily contortions.

14. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I purchased the little X-minis. They are a tiny speaker coming in colors. I got green since it was on sale and probably because no one else wanted it. I think Michael is the one who first mentioned them. They are only about three inches high and the same in diameter. Nice sound from a tiny space.

15. Randy

Pat,

Did you mount the Xmini?

16. rotus8

I got a small USB powered speaker bar from Amazon for about $25. It works well for me. I put a description and some pictures of my installation in the gallery.

17. pbaker2225

I didn't mount the x-minis but it should be pretty easy as they are so light. We can do almost anything nowadays with velcro and zip ties.

18. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Love the Xmini speakers, happy to hear you like them too Pat.

Michael

19. Randy

Thanks Pat. That's some strong work once again there Rotus. Thanks for sharing. I was finally able to connect the headphone out into my stereo head unit. Too bad plugging something into the headphone jack defeats the built in speakers.

Randy

20. pbaker2225

It's hard to believe that sound comes from something so small. Thanks for finding them and recommending them. They work great on my lap top too.