TX State Park Guadalupe River State Park (Spring Branch)

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Dahava, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Dahava

Dahava Novice

We did a one-nighter at Guadalupe River State Park which is just north of San Antonio. What a very nice spot! The park hosts are really on the ball there and they really have done a great job. The bathroom facilities are immaculate! Thankfully, there was no burn ban in effect so we could have a nice fire. It was $20 for water and electric hookups, $16 w/o.

The park is located just within Texas Hill Country and the Guadalupe River actually looks like a river and not a creek. Typically, "river" means creek, and "creek" means "rocks"...unless it's raining. Since every single lake in Texas is man-made (except the one that's really in Louisiana but juts into Texas) it's nice to stay near an actual waterway other than a pool!

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  2. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Dan and Vanessa

Sounds like great spot, may get a chance to stop there on our way through. When is the high season for San Antonio area parks, do you need reservations for parks just into the new year?

Michael

3. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Typically they fill up REALLY quickly in the Spring. However, they had lots of empty spaces when we were there. My son and I are going out again this weekend to McKinney Falls SP in Austin. We'll post about that too!

4. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

We just camped there last night. It was a great campground.

Overall, great campground in central Texas between Austin and San Antonio. About 1.5 hour drive from Austin and 1 hour from San Antonio. 2 main camping areas, Cedar Sage and Turkey Sink along with walk in camp sites for tent campers that is close to the river front.

Sites are clean and have lots of shade. Cedar Sage is primarily for tent camping and small trailers (teardrop and tent trailer size). Turkey Sink has larger spots for bigger RVs and travel trailers. Turkey sink also has lots of trees and good shade coverage but not quite as much as Cedar Shade as they need to allow room for larger vehicles. Both Cedar Sage and Turkey Sink have water and electricity hook ups. Sites also have fire rings (which can be used when there is no burn ban) as well a tables. They also provide a pole for hanging lanterns by the table.

Bathrooms are clean and well lit and also have shower stalls available. There is also a dump station for RVs that want to empty tanks before leaving the park.

There are some nice walking/hiking trails that are also open to mountain bikes. There is also a horse trail for the equestrian campers. Most trails lead down to river front.

I snapped some pics of the sites in the upper loop (Cedar Sage) along with some video. Drove though the lower loop but forgot to grab some pics but I found one online for reference.

I will post what I have shortly. If you are passing through central Texas or are in the area, would certainly recommend this one but I do think reservations well in advance might be necessary.

5. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I need to get better at taking pictures. I forgot to grab pictures of the hiking trails and the river...doh!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cedar Sage Camp Site

[​IMG]
    We were in spot 28 in the Cedar Sage area. This is primarily tent and small trailer camping only. The parking spaces are double wide but shallow. As you all know, one of the great things about CampInn is the ability to get into the smaller, tent only type sites.

[​IMG]
    The main RV/Trailer parking is in the Turkey Sink area. Here they have single wide but deep spots for large trailers and RVs.