TX State Park Palo Duro Canyon State Park (Amarillo)

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Steve & Peggy, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Steve & Peggy

Steve & Peggy Newbie

We are heading to Palo Duro Canyon for the first time in a couple months. Planning to stay at the Hackberry camping area and do some hiking in the canyon. Any tips or suggestions from previous visitors?

Will post an update after the trip.

Thanks!

2. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

Re: TX - Palo Duro Canyon State Park

We enjoyed the Lighthouse Peak trail which takes you across the canyon floor and then up to the Lighthouse peak. It was a beautiful hike but very different for us East coast folk that are accustomed to thick, green, humid, deciduous forest.

My wife, our 11 year old Hound dog, and I did the hike in about 3 or 4 hours. We took along lots of water and used most of it. The desert can be very beautiful and deceptively hot. If you're hiking later this year it won't be as hot as it was for us in late Aug '13.

There are also single track bike trails if you're so inclined. We didn't have our bikes with us so I can't comment on the trail but the guys I saw riding looked like they were having a blast.

Enjoy!

Eric

3. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

We camped in Palo Duro Canyon this past May 8-18. We went to attend my BIL's college graduation from West Texas A&M and spend the weekend doing things with them in Amarillo; and had originally planned a shorter stay camping/hiking/biking in Palo Duro during the early part of the next week. However, we loved it so much we extended our visit! We started out in the Hackberry Campground, and had to move to the Mesquite Campground when we extended our stay. Hackberry offers more privacy and shade at your campsite and the turkey and deer will join you for breakfast! You are also closer to most of the trailheads for hiking and biking from Hackberry. Mesquite Campground is much more open/less privacy and less wildlife, but the views are fantastic.

Be prepared for ANY kind of weather during your stay. We started out with daytime temps up to 96 degrees and two days later, it was in the 60s for daytime highs & down in the low 30s at night! Then it shot back into the 90s. We also experienced several very strong winds/duststorms blowing through. One day winds were 25-30+ mph for several hours. I am still finding red dirt in our CampInn, gear and TV!

We hiked or mountain biked at least parts of most every trail in the park. It is all beautiful! And mountain biking here was the MOST FUN I've ever had on a bike!

1) The Lighthouse Trail was my favorite hike....it had been on my "bucket list" for 10 years since we did a daytrip to PDC in July 2003(with a 1 year old) and it was too hot to hike it then. It is a 6 mile roundtrip, so take plenty of water. We packed a light lunch in our backpack and ate when we got to the lighthouse.

2) The Paseo Del Rio, Rojo Grande, and Sunflower Trails are all easy hiking or mountain biking. There is more vegetation on these hikes & less canyon views. My kids loved the "Cowboy Dugout" on the Paseo Del Rio Trail.

3) Juniper Trail (Riverside & Cliffside); Capitol Peak Trail; Lighthouse Trail & Givens, Spicer & Lowry Trail....these are a bit more challenging to mountain bike, but very doable and fun for intermediate level rider.

4) Rock Garden Trail.....my son & I hiked about 2/3 of this trail and it was the most challenging hike that I remember....or maybe it was just because I'd already done a 13 mile mountain bike ride with my husband earlier in the day. :) Anyway, it is a great hike with great views you don't get on any of the other trails, but it is a cardio workout with elevation changes. This trail is designated for hikers or mountain bikes....but I am pretty sure that I'd be pushing my bike up this trail about half the time (and I've been mountain biking for 20+ years).

There are also caves throughout the park, but they are not on the maps and it seems the park doesn’t encourage them being found and explored. There is one large cave-like opening you can easily spot from Park Road 5 along the Juniper Trail Cliffside area that the park does put on the map. Our family really enjoyed hiking out & exploring it.

There is a small park store & grill where you can buy burgers, souvenirs, ice & forgotten necessities. However, I'd recommend stopping at Walmart in Canyon on your way in if you are needing to buy much. There is restaurant in Canyon called Feldman's Wrong Way Diner that we really enjoyed...my family took me for Mother's Day. It is a very cool & fun decorated diner....and even has an airplane and electric trains hanging from the ceiling. The food is good too. Let me know if you get up the nerve to try "The Big Lebowski" ...AKA "The Heartstopper"....It is a "burger topped with two fried eggs, two slices of American Cheese, six slices of hickory smoked bacon, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, diced onion and mayo, all served between two grilled cheese sandwiches we use in place of a traditional bun"!!!!!.....we chickened out....lol If you go into Amarillo, try Abuelos for the best Mexican food anywhere!

Palo Duro Canyon was our first arid/desert type camping experience and we loved everything about it! It is an absolutely amazing place that captured my heart & I have been dreaming of going back since the day we left! I hope you enjoy it also!

Casandra

4. birder526

birder526 Novice

Love your recap of your experience! Where is this canyon located? We need to put it on our "agenda"!

5. Mark & Casandra

It is Palo Duro Canyon State Park about 25 miles south of Amarillo, Texas (in the Texas Panhandle). Caprock Canyon State Park is not too far away and we intended to camp there a few nights on our trip, but we loved Palo Duro so much we just stayed. Caprock Canyon SP looks pretty also, and is home to the Official Bison Herd of the State of Texas...pretty cool!

6. birder526

birder526 Novice

Thanks for the info! We've traveled through TX a couple of times and love it there -- so many beautiful places...Seminole Canyon and Big Bend being two places dear to our hearts! We'll add these two canyons to our list!

7. Steve & Peggy

Steve & Peggy Newbie

Thanks so much for the tips! We are heading to Palo Duro on Saturday and plan to stay 4-5 days. I'll post a report after we return.

Casandra - the Big Lebowski sounds great (my arteries are already saying "no" but who knows, I may give it a try).

Steve

8. Mark & Casandra

I got a weather alert on my phone Sunday morning that it was snowing in Palo Duro Canyon & would continue most of the day! I'd love to see (and photograph) the canyon covered in snow.....just not so sure about cooking out in it. Looks like it should warm up for you guys just a bit during your stay. I can't wait to see pictures and hear about your trip! Have fun!

Casandra