Storage Upper/duffel Storage Shelf In Cabin

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by GhostOrchid, Feb 24, 2014.

1. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

In the 550 Special, the Upper or Duffel Storage Shelf has a face frame with (doorless) openings for gear stashing. I'm thinking of asking Cary if they can just leave off the face frame, so that it's just an open shelf, like in the base model, so we can toss a couple of duffels up there without having to squeeze them through the openings. I realize that may create an increased risk of things falling off of that shelf during transit.

Any other pros or cons to the idea that I haven't considered?

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Not really. The trailers all used to be made with the open shelf. Ours (a 2008 550 Ultra) has it, and we find it pretty handy. I'm sure that everyone probably likes the configuration they have - we're an adaptable group ;)

3. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Untested theory--if you even need something like this. I do have the upper cabinets (not the shelf) so I have no idea whether or not stuff easily falls off the duffel shelf. If I recall correctly, the shelf is angled back to alleviate that situation. But if after a season you were to find that the stuff you happen to store on the shelf has a tendency to fall off in transit...

A set of these,http://www.amazon.com/Command-17304-Cord-Bundlers-White/dp/B0000CCQKV

and a rope, and you could have your own easy keep-stuff-on-the-shelf, but no holes need to be drilled fix. Just need to strategically place them depending upon your needs.

Example (in the galley): http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=21497

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

We have a '09 550 Ultra with the open duffle shelf, and we really like it. In transit, we store pillows and extra blankets there. This allows us to cover the mattress with a quilted movers blanket, upon which we place our chairs, shelters, custom fender shelves, kitchen sinks, etc. Then, while camping, the duffle shelf is used for frequently used items, that we can easily toss there, giving us easy access to them. Personally, we wouldn't trade that shelf for the closed cabinets. To each, his own!

5. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

we have an open shelf. We were rear ended a few weeks ago and the jolt did not dislodge anything from the open shelf.
    We keep 2 plastic boxes on the shelves for shoes. other stuff gets packed in around the boxes. I life being able to clean out the boxes on a regular basis and not having to rely on a vacuum cleaner while camping!.

I would get an open shelf, but that's me.

6. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

We wanted a faceless duffel shelf, and thought we had ordered one, but discovered when the build pictures started arriving that the shelf had the face frame. At that time, Cary told us that a faceless duffel shelf is no longer available. As you can imagine, this misunderstanding proved disappointing. On balance, the camper is beautiful (especially love the mahogany) and we are happy to have her.

My advice is to make absolutely sure you and Camp-Inn are on the same page about details like these. Good luck!

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Novice

Oh my, this is Very disappointing that the option of having the shelf is no longer available.

8. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Who knows? Maybe if Camp-Inn has a sense that there is customer demand, they might consider offering it again in the future.

9. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

A small handsaw and you could probably convert whatever you get into a shelf, no problem. :)

Of course, that's close to sacrilege... but it is your trailer, once you buy it you can improve it (wreak it) however you like.

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

We have the open shelf in our 550 and it works well for us but sometimes we find our packing bags fall onto bed - nat a big problem.
    This year I found an extension rod like you use in a shower that seems very helpful and nice looking and no screws. And also "s" hooks that are great for hanging lots of misc.

Hooks: Amazon.com: S Hooks Hanging Hooks S Shaped Hooks for Hanging Stainless Steel Hooks Utility Hooks (12pcs): Office Products

Rod: Amazon.com: InterDesign Forma - Constant Tension Curtain Rod for Bathroom - Brushed Stainless Steel - Medium: 43 - 75 inches: Home & Kitchen

Attached Files:

11. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Update: we traveled from Minnesota to Washington, Glacier many places in between and back to Minnesota and the rod kept our packing bags in place, made them easily accessed and provided a place to hang multiple items as needed. Loved it.

RollingRob likes this.