Upside down NB and the Lookie Loo

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by Bunni, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Bunni

Bunni Novice

There was a nice stiff breeze blowing when we arrived at our Ortona Locks campsite and we sat and debated if we should try to set up the Northern Breeze. Hey we have done this before no worries let’s go for it. Well we got the NB spread out and poles hooked up no sweat until we stood her up and tried to hook up the corners to the poles. Two done then a big gust of wind takes the NB turns it upside down two legs straight up and headed straight for the river...

I’m holding on to one pole for dear life while trying to unhook it from the bottom of the pole Meribeth is trying to get the other pole unhooked. When the lookie loo shows up to ask if she can help with her hands in her pockets and proceeds to tell us about her TAB and how it’s an upgrade from our beloved raindrop. I proceeded to ignore her while wrestling with the NB which is now free from the bottom of the poles but is wrapped around the campsite grill and the steel fire pit.

[​IMG]

Lookie loo is continuing her mindless yakking and distracting Meribeth who is trying to be nice. I am being nice by not opening my mouth and saying what I am thinking. (Can’t post that or Evan would ban me from the board …pull my post ….have some serious editing to do...) It was something like if ya really want to help close your mouth and go back to the campsite you came from.

Well we were able to retrieve the NB with all the great assistance from the lookie loo. Set up the NB later on after the winds died down. Only damage was one bent pole which I was able to hammer back almost straight.

Lessons learned. Like a dumb ……. I neglected to stake down two corners of the NB so we did not try to parasail down the Caloosahatchee river. Next time tell the lookie loo to buzz off.

NB makes a great product no damage and only bent one pole was able to repair. Also yesterday the wind was around 20 mph all day with gusts I over 25 … not a problem for the NB.

Mcnugit, many thanks for all the great info on the NB. We bought it based on your posts.

Just another Camp Inn journey learning experience.

Lovin Life in our Camp Inn,
    Benn

LisaNKevin likes this.
  2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

As Hilditch would say, you are on your way to earning that 100 nights badge. :)

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Oh Hilditch. Kind of miss the guy. Was reading a couple of his posts the other day about something (can't remember what) and he was a wealth of knowledge, despite the drama.

Glad to hear your NB faired ok. It is a great shelter, especially in storms. I am going to be packing mine these first few months of camping season. It has been drier than usual up here, but Mother Nature isn't done with us yet, I just know it. I like having the extra space in a storm. Hoping my 5-and-a-half-year-old (he would correct me if I just said he was 5) will be able to help a little more in putting it up now when it is just the two of us.

4. 1Door

1Door Novice

You showed far more courage in keeping quiet than I could have mustered. Great story, even better because it is true and you survived to tell it. Para sailing into a river isn't supposed to be part of the td dream is it?

Alan

5. Bunni

Bunni Novice

We thought about Hilditch after our crossing the 50 night milestone thinking he had it about half right. After 50 nights Teardrop stuff began to become routine. And then you get a Para sailing lesson :D

Alan,

Your tear drop comes with many unanticipated adventures and learning opportunities . It’s part of the joy of teardrop ownership.

Benn

6. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

You have to fill your own propane? That would probably make me nervous too. We aren't allowed to do that in Oregon. But we also aren't allowed to fill our cars ourselves either (which most of the year I am just fine with although I am fine doing when we live the state...no big deal!). Didn't realize there were manual propane fills in other states.

7. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

The local U Haul refills propane tanks. I used to do it all the time there thinking it was cheaper than swapping out. However, after comparing the prices, it was about the same cost. So now, I just swap the tanks out at Walmart. Much less hassle and I don't have to worry about the age of the tank. Some places stop refilling them once a tank gets a certain age.

Regards,
    Jay

8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Refills?

So you can or there are places where you actually fill the tanks yourself??? from those Big Ole Propane tank Thingies? Just like filling a car with gas... A-hem, as we do in Washington... (heheh, it throws me all the time in OR as I get out, slide the card and start to unhook it to fill.. NOOOOO no no no.. Well Slap Ma'hand N' call me.. ??? whatever.... was trying to think of something catchy but can't for the moment..

Anyway, so you fill it yourself from one of those big tank thingies?? the ones with the big 12" brass valves.. hmmm.. I would be nervous on that one too, might just have to put out the cigarette and concentrate... not like filling gas... heheh, just joking, kids don't do this at home...
    Do it somewhere else...

Sigh, I'm bored need to get out there... Soon...

9. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Oh, and I forgot on the swapping thing...

I thought about that for awhile and decided against it for various reasons but the main one was you empty it when out in the boonies you're done and have to find a place that will swap them out..

My feeling at time was that it was usually easier to find a "Fill Station" than a "Swap Station"

While I do carry a back up sigh, and yes, a back-up to the back-up... overkill remember? it just seemed more practical to keep a tank and refill when needed. Or if you think the tank is half or quarter fill and you're going out, what? do you swap it out before or wait till you've used it all up.

My own tank I can just top it off if need be..

Anyway, that's my take on it...