US CI camping

Discussion in 'Campground & Park Reviews' started by Hilditch, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

East Coast camping:

We have found that when you plan your trip, you call for reservations at state, county or city campgrounds. In over half the cases you reserve a specific site. In the rest you reserve a site, and then it is first come. Eighty-five percent of the sites are RV sites with electric & water and hot showers in the bath house. Most are at least 40’ x 80’ and many are larger. Tent sites will let you save a couple of bucks, but seldom have utilities, and access and parking can be a problem. Not an option for us. Also not an option are private parks because they normally suck, although some high end ones are OK. For one nighters on the road we use KOA. The sites are on the small side, but it’s like McDonalds - you know what to expect and they are where you want them to be. For the most part, rain or bugs are not an issue during camping season on the East Coast.

From what I have read here, West Coast camping is another story we wouldn’t enjoy. What is the deal?
    Other sections of the country?

Hilditch

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

The west coast state park RV and tent sites will be pretty much as you described. The state parks are usually clean and well maintained. But we prefer more primitive camping in order to get sites right on the riverbank.

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I agree with Evan. I think most people out here get outdoors to be away from conveniences and to completely get away from people. I really miss backpacking into places where my cell phone didn't used to work (I am sure it would now) and we would get upset of too many other people started showing up (sometimes packing everything back up and moving somewhere else...sometimes we would sleep on it first, depending on the trek).

There are plenty of high end independent resorts. We have stayed at a couple, but they were anywhere from $30-45/night, which we found a bit over the top, but maybe that is normal. We also have KOAs that are as you describe (some are definitely better than others). State Parks have everything you describe, but you are out there with everyone else that wants to get away. Going primitive makes it quieter, and we have a lot of land that can be all yours, but you have to go find it.