Florida Parks

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by jerry and tina, Nov 14, 2010.

1. We just spent a few night in a few of florida's state parks. They were Anastasia on the Atlantic side and St Joeseph's Peninsula and visited St George's on the gulf side. Then on the way north @ Falling Waters SP. St Joes was my favorite with the white sand and unlimitless beach or so it seemed on our 4 hour hike (or as I told Jerry 4 hour tour). Falling waters waterfall had a few drips in the middle of the imaginary waterfall but a pretty hike to get to it and the sink holes were interesting too.

Anastasia State Park Info:
    http://www.floridastateparks.org/anastasia/default.cfm
    1340-A State Road A1A South
    St. Augustine, Florida 32080
    (904) 461-2033

St. Joseph's Peninsula State Park Info:
    http://www.floridastateparks.org/stjoseph/default.cfm
    8899 Cape San Blas Road
    Port St. Joe, Florida 32456
    (850) 227-1327

St. George State Park Info:
    http://www.floridastateparks.org/stgeorgeisland/default.cfm
    1900 E. Gulf Beach Drive
    St. George Island, Florida 32328
    (850) 927-2111

Falling Waters State Park Info:
    http://www.floridastateparks.org/fallingwaters/default.cfm
    1130 State Park Road
    Chipley, Florida 32428
    (850) 638-6130

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

Paynes Prairie SP near Gainesville is a favorite of ours. Heavily wooded sites, Lake Wauberg is a 10' walk to camping area. A lot of alligators, bald eagles, water fowl. The prairie is a drive or bike ride away. At the edge of the prairie is an observation tower, a herd of wild horses and a herd of buffalo. Many opportunities for hiking or bicycling. Great birding, especially winter time.

3. LisaNKevin

Just stayed at Lake Griffin SP, near Clermont. I cannot recommend it. Some sites are horrible in that there is no privacy whatsoever. Others were nicer but plagued by mosquitoes. Apparently, there is a lot of ticks in the area, going by signs posted. This is not unusual in FL. Another big thing is, the ambient road noise, sirens. All night, all day.
    They do offer kayak/canoe rentals into areas with many gators. No swimming. Minimal biking opportunities.
    There are many nicer parks in Florida if you want a more natural experience.

4. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

I know this is a little off topic because it doesn't pertain to FL SP's, but does anyone have information on Key West campgrounds? I came across Boyd's and Leo's campgrounds and neither look promising and both are extremely overpriced. I don't have as much concern with the price as I do with the local and amenities or lack there of. One reviewer referred to Leo's as being in the ghetto of Key West. Michelle and I want to attend Fantasy Fest next year and take the CI but I'd be afraid to leave it unattended. Any suggestions besides don't do it?

5. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Take a look at AllStays. I just looked and there must be 20-30 campgrounds from Key Largo to the tip including at least 3 state parks. And rates as you say sound "Crazy" as Crazy Eddy used to say. But probably no worse than if you looked at hotel rates. The free market at work...but really $75 for a tent site water view with no hookups...Yowza!!!

6. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Most campgrounds we saw in the Key's are nothing more than glorified parking lots. The SP campgrounds had much more space but you will need to reserve the day they open for reservations or there will be little or no room at the inn. With that said we ate lunch at Geiger key marina RV Parkhttp://www.geigerkeymarina.com/. It was a parking lot but appeared clean and safe we would stay there. The catch is $112 waterfront and $100 no waterfront. Bargain basement of $600 for the week. Also link to our post on FL parks we have stayed athttp://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=1880&Number=17068#Post17068

BTW, Don’t forget the body paint :>)
    Benn

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Thanks Ben.

8. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have made reservations along the Florida keys for a week in March. As for me, I went with the most reasonable priced campgrounds I could find, not interested in lots of hook ups, swimming pools, or staying on the water.

Key Largo: Key Largo Campground, electric tent site: $38 night
    Key West: Leo's Campground, had to reserve a "full hook up site" because of the dog at $69 a night. Ouch. Dogs are not allowed in electric tent sites.

Long time to wait!

Jean

9. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Jean,

Although it's still aways off, let us know how Leo's works out. We want to do Fantasy Fest next year and considered Leo's. Unfortunately, there's an up charge for their campsites that week making them as expensive as Boyd's on the water which appears to be a little nicer in general. Keep us posted.

10. 1Door

1Door Novice

Hi All,
    Susan and Alan here. It is Sunday afternoon and it's pretty cool here outside so I am perusing thru the forum topics. We make our home in central Florida and have, in years past, been thru or lived in south Florida. We have absolutely no desire to camp anywhere south of Orlando!! In regards to the Keys, an idea might be to ask a local in a restaurant or store if they know of someone who may "rent" out their driveway. I know it sounds crazy, but where parking is tight and it most certainly is in the Florida Keys, there may be locals looking for extra dollars (think NFL stadium neighborhoods). Just an idea and probably one NOBODY will ever try, but thought I'd put it out there. Kinda like a 3 night foreign exchange student! Any way we can recommend several Florida State Parks: St. George Island, Faver-Dykes in St. Augustine, Stephen Foster Cultural Center, and Ochlockonee in Apalachicola. We like kayaking, walking and bicycling so we look for those types of activities. We aren't in to 15,000 drunken revelers at a "festival"!!! Enjoy Florida, it's a great place! In regards to this posting...my mother always said "better to keep your mouth shut and let them think you're stupid as to opening (writing) it and proving it!
    Thanks for reading,
    Susan

11. LisaNKevin

That's a good idea, Jenn.

12. Monica

Monica Novice

Hi All,
    I will be headed toward The Villages, FL in March. Can anyone recommend a campground in the area?
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Monica

13. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

There are a number of USFS campgrounds to the east of the Villages. If you happen to be over 62 and have a pass, then it is half price. Many have showers. I think a few have power. They are all decent campgrounds (we have stayed at a few of the primitive sites), though bears are a potential problem. There is a state park (Lake Griffin) to the SE of The Villages, but we haven't stayed there before. It may be the closest public campground.