Volcano vs Cobb

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by Oysterpot, Jan 20, 2012.

1. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/bbq-cookers-grills-lighters-1.htm
    I got my Cobb here.

2. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

Cobb Chief USA is apparently a new North American distributor readying for launch in March.

"You can get real time updates on our Facebook page. We will let everyone know as soon as we have the products and parts on hand."

https://www.facebook.com/COBBchefUSA

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Pick

Pick Novice

Good to know. I got one but without all the options. I was seeing the same thing from the UK. I can wait till March.
    MDP

4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

We have our Cobb but just looked at the site you showed for curiosity. Really am interested in trying the parchment bags it shows.

5. GhostOrchid

I think Jenn uses parchment with her Cobb quite a bit, but of course now that I'm looking for them, I can't find her pictures that show it.

6. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Hey Jenn, great idea. I am going shopping for parchment.

7. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Jenn, I see that is probably more versatile and maybe less expensive. I saw on amazon that some of the bags have a series of round spots at the bottom of the bag which allows the fat to drain off. I am thinking about that as I am trying the Dash diet to avoid pills. I also want to buy a pie iron or 2 - with your experience what size would you buy first? We will cook for 2 but as far as weight goes I think maybe 2 smaller ones would be easier to handle on the fire than a larger one. And would you go for square or round? Thanks

8. Pick

Pick Novice

For those of you who have a Cobb did yours come with the wire grill?? I bought a premier stainless steel one no wire rack. Did I get ripped or is that an option? I can probably rig something up but it seem like you would use it quite alot.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

9. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Mine did not come with the wire grill, just the flat one with holes in it. I think it will be a challenge to keep the brats from rolling off. They have an option of a wire grill with a fence around it. Sure would like one but don't know where to get it right now or the price.

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

my has the grill basket like shown in Jenn's pizza picture above. We do use it for vegies, baked potatoes, reheating bread rolls. comes in handy.

11. Pick

Pick Novice

Just to let people know I was able to order the grill rack from Cobb America through Facebook. Looked like limited inventory but the site is up and running.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

12. Bev

Bev Novice

I was just told I should have my order ship by Monday. I ordered from:

Cobb Chef USA
    cobbchefusa.com
    717 Woodridge Blvd.
    Mandeville, Louisiana 70471
    USA
    PH: 504-491-0444

They had the two items I needed; fenced roast rack, dome extension and chicken roasting stand

I will let you all know if I receive everything timely, and how they were to deal with.

I'm wondering, for those that have the canvas stand for the Cobb Grill, is it worth the space taken up as part of your gear to purchase it?

13. Pick

Pick Novice

Beverly,

Don't know of the stand. My Cobb came with a canvas bag for transport which is very nice for keeping everything together and after use if you don't have time to clean it properly. Curious did you order by phone?
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

14. Bev

Bev Novice

Hi Mike & Denita,

I ordered through the website, but first called and had a conversation with the rep. about product availability/delivery. Once on the website, I went ahead and ordered what I needed. I'll let you all know how it goes for my order.

I saw the stand, sold as a separate accessory, when I originally bought my set. Like yours, my grill has the transport bag. I'll check the net to see if I can find the particulars on the fold-up canvas stand I originally saw and let you know. I just remember that it was green canvas with four built in cup holders around the outside of it with black fold up legs. It might not have been a Cobb product, but I thought so.

Bev

15. GhostOrchid

I saw that bungied fold-out stand, too, on the prior American distributor's site. They had an excess inventory sellout on them as they shut down. I was kind of tempted, but ultimately didn't pull the trigger, even at the closeout price, because it looked insubstantial and unsteady. Haven't seen one since the old website quit working.

16. I too saw it on the old website close outs...it looked interesting but I couldn't quite see the need.

17. Bev

Bev Novice

Quick Update - I received my Cobb order Friday, just as I was pulling out with Little Hoot for a weekend campout on Ft. Myers Beach. The product was held up a bit by customs, but the distributor was nice to have put a complimentary Cobb book in with my order. I was so glad to get the extender and rack. I found when starting the coals on fire having the extender on the grill helped a lot with the ocean breeze that was happening.

It's nice to have Cobb product back in the U.S.

Beverly

18. Pick

Pick Novice

Hi Beverly, my grill rack just arrived also 4/14/14. It was nice of them to add the cook book. Wish I had ordered the extender now. Is there any other accesories that are used a lot by Cobb owners? I haven't even fired mine up yet. Anybody use the grill plate or the wok? Do the fire boxes (charcoal holders) hold up?
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

19. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

we have not used the grill plate yet but we used the wok for rice and stir fry last summer at home worked nicely.

20. GhostOrchid

Still experimenting on other things, but really hit the sweet spot with simple chicken thighs on the Cobb. Adorable Wife does a to-die-for marinade with jerk seasoning ingredients.

Instead of starting the fire in the Cobb, I use a chimney to start the coals, up to a dozen Kingsford briquets. I put 1-2 cups of red wine in the moat. Spray the grill plate with pam. Cook approx 30 minutes, turning a couple of times.

Some combination of veggies in the moat - zucchini chunks, mushrooms, onions, baby carrots, small potatoes.

Although the Cobb seems a little formidable at first, with all its various pieces, it's incredibly efficient, cleans up faster and easier than a regular grill and packs away into its pouch all before coffee is served.

Still working on: 1) cobbling together a smaller starter chimney - ideally one that would close up air tight to put the coals in to extinguish them for reuse once food is done and 2) a technique for extracting the yummy moat juice for gravy or 'au juice' without contaminating it with charcoal ash.