Waco To South Padre

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by pat walsh, Nov 18, 2016.

1. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Thinking of taking highway 77 in stead of getting in the Austin rat race. Any thoughts?

2. Steve & Peggy

Steve & Peggy Newbie

I live just north of Austin. I35 is terrible in Austin. I would skip the traffic and take 130 (toll road (all electronic, so no toll booths) around the east side of Austin to Hwy 77. We are leaving Austin in the morning heading southwest to Garner State Park near Uvalde.

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Pat,

I did that very thing in June. Didn't want to go through the Austin traffic so turned just outside Waco and took 77 down to Corpus Christie. That was a really nice drive. We made good time on it too because the speed limits are posted pretty high along that route. I really recommend that if going to South Padre.

Cary

4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Thanks - so 77 it is. We are going to South Padre for a week and then to Port Aransas for 5 days. My friend Penny is still teaching so this is winter break. We are not going to take our teardrop as she dose not want to try 3000+ miles pulling in the winter especially through Iowa which is often iced and blowing snow. But we sure would prefer our teardrop to motels. Cary by the way I did retire this year.

5. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Pat,

I believe we cut off of 35 on hwy 7 by Bruceville. That way we didn't have to drive through Waco on 77.

Cary

6. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

if it's too windy on the beach you should consider Goose Island State Park near Rockport. Nice park with water-side sites but also with wooded sites in the live oaks. Close to Corpus Christi.

7. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Thanks Cary I will look at that
    Pat

8. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Yes we are familiar with Goose Island and love it especially when we get a time viewing the whooping cranes near by. But we will be staying at a condo this time as winter driving precludes us bringing our tear.

9. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

This Texas girl advises you by ALL means, to do ANYthing to avoid I35 south of Waco! Back in May we were headed to the Texas CampInn Gathering at Pedernales Falls SP & made the HUGE mistake of taking I35 thinking it would be faster in the middle of the day. Things weren't too bad until we got just north of Temple......where it took us 45 minutes to travel 2-3 miles and there was NO apparent reason for the delay! It was then that we remembered the last time (or two) that we took I35 south & said "NEVER AGAIN!"......but that had been about 6-8 years ago, so we really thought it would surely be better by now......NOT! I think the world will probably end before I35 construction is finished & travel gets better!

[​IMG]

Casandra

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Tom & Diana P likes this.
  10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

we did take 77 and the connection through WACO was pretty seamless - very nice. The only difficult driving for us was through Fort Worth going south - coming back north was easy.

Tom & Diana P likes this.