"Washing Machine"?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Mick'nSarah, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I am curious and wondering if anyone does this.

I read somewhere that you can use a utility bucket with a lid (picture a Homer bucket), fill it with water and a little detergent along with your dirty cloths, snap on the lid and go for a drive. The shaking of the car is like an agitation cycle. You then just need to rinse out the clothes and hang to dry when you get to your destination.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Any pros and cons? I have been pondering this for our trips this year and was thinking about giving it a try.

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

http://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Washboard-2072-Maid-Rite/dp/B0000CBILJ/ref=pd_bxgy_la_img_y

3. Mick'nSarah

Joan, have you been using a washboard and "laundry plunger" while camping? Seems like lot of extra gear and you can use the homer bucket for other things. :)

I just thought the whole "set it up and forget it while I drive" thing would give the milage extra worth, and I wouldn't be shelling out a small fortune in coin op laundry at National parks. The Lad is always covered in something and wants to to to college one day.

4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Just fool in' with ya. As Jenn said in the shout box, John Steinbeck put his clothes in a bucket of soapy water to wash while he travelled. Not a bad idea.

5. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

You might have to put on the snap on lid, lay it on it side so every time you stop or turn it will roll around for agitation. Maybe add some rocks too. Just kidding. I guess the only way to really know is to try it. It might take a lot of driving to get dirty boy clothes clean. It must be really hard to try to keep track of a little boy who has been cooped up in a car all day while washing clothes. Maybe Frank can come up with a fascinating science project to entice Laddy to wash his own clothes. Some kind of a bucket, gear and pulley apparatus.lol

6. Mick'nSarah

I bring his bike and lots of other activities. He usually has his eye out for Katie, no matter where we go and no matter how many times I say she isn't there. Keeps him busy I suppose! He is a pretty good helper, but there is nothing more boring than watching your laundry wash and dry in the laundromat for a 6-year-old. You can only do so many laps around the place in the rolling carts before you get in trouble. Plus, we are going to warm places this summer, so things will dry out FAST!

7. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, well you could hook up a little "Tow Barrel" behind the bike, like a lawn spreader and then ride around. Good exercise I guess...

I'll have to try the "Rock'n Roll'n" with "Nellie" on the rough roads... but might just tear them apart... heheh, good idea though... but then you have to "Rinse" it .. Dry it...

heheh, I did a quick search for :
    "unique washing clothes while in the car"
    and got more than I thought, but this one relates to the above posting..
    http://carliving.info/washing/index.html

Me thinks, since there is only 3 I need to worry about, Me-Myself- and I, I'll hang with the laundry at KOA like Jenn...

OR ??????

Le the locals do it....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=993ForRDhwI

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Personally, I don't go camping anywhere without my Maytag washer & dryer. They fit perfectly in the teardrop, so well in fact, I just keep them stored there all the time. Very compact and handy...ready whenever you need them.

I know a few others who have them, as well, and will, I'm sure, share their satisfaction with the pair. Unfortunately, they are no longer made and are not easy to come by.

:cool:

9. Mick'nSarah

I have seen the washer and dryers we used to be able to buy. Kinda kicking myself now. It was only $3! Hindsight is 20/20! :)

10. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Sarah,

Betsey is right, the Maytag washer and dryers are no longer made. A bit of a collector item actually these days. The good news I have a large box of them here. So, we do still offer them. They can be found on the online store.

Cary

11. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

Cary - Are you able to confirm the persistent rumor that the Maytag washer and dryer in #500 are made of Honduran mahogany?

12. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

I know this is kind of a joke, but here's an idea I picked up from a wardrobe master for hand-washing dance tights between shows (yuck!)

It's an OXO salad spinner with a plunger-style spinner mechanism. Put a little detergent in with the clothing and then fill with water. Plunge a bunch of times and rinse.

It's kind of goofy but it works great for small loads like socks and underpants or a couple of t-shirts. I know you can do the same thing with a wash-tub, your hands and a drain.

What I don’t know is if you would be willing to use it as a salad spinner/colander after using it as a mini washing machine….

They sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond for $30

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...ps-reg-Salad-Spinners/111373?categoryId=12106

13. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

Actually, thinking about camp laundry, there's another gizmo I remember they were optioning to sell at REI in the adventure travel department - I don't think they picked it up so maybe that tells you something (too fussy and expensive for REI? yikes!)

I'm pretty sure this is it: it's called a "Scrubba" and basically, it's a dry bag with silicone nubbies on the inside - you put your dirty clothes, soap & water inside, massage it for a while, and then rinse.

Here's the link to the company website:

http://thescrubba.com/collections/all/products/scrubba-wash-bag-2013-usd

It retails for $65 which seems kinda pricey, but I judge not. I suppose it could give the passenger something to do while driving...maybe relieve some bad-driver trip stress at the same time.

14. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

For laundry in a bag I wonder if one of those big bags you cook a turkey in could be utilized. They are really strong.

15. Mick'nSarah

Ah ha! I misunderstood! I will probably have to order one when I pony up for the bumper. We can ship them together then! Do they make boxes big enough for all 3 items? :)

The bumper...that is another hindsight item.

16. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Here's the Container Store version of that idea for $99. Yikes!

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/laundry/laundryDetergentsClothingCare?productId=10034929&N=80458

17. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Ok, I have to ask. I'm guessing for $3 the "Maytag Washer/Dryer" is not a custom made aluminum incredible piece of hand-crafted awesomeness.

What exactly IS it?

18. Mick'nSarah

Oh, the bucket in the car is no joke. I am totally trying this this summer! And I am probably picking up "Travels with Charley" too!

Ah Sherry, but they are incredible pieces of American engineering! Some might even go so far as to say they are awesome! ;)

19. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

"a custom made aluminum steel incredible piece of hand-crafted awesomeness"

:cool:

20. Mick'nSarah

I was serious about the bucket washer. Mick said he needed to go to Home Depot so I asked him to grab a bucket with a lid for me. He did me one better. He didn't like the Home Depot Lids, so popped into TAP Plastics and found this airtight screw on lid. He thought the other one was too hard to get on and off, and this one is a breeze!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will let you know what happens. If it fails, I have a great new storage bin for chicken feed!