Washington State Ferry Fee

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by JoeB-NW, Apr 12, 2014.

1. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

My wife and I had a great day today. It started with a visit to the Spring Wine Festivle in Anacortes, WA. Good wine, good food, great weather.

While we were in Anacortes we decided to head over to the ferry terminal to research a trip to Friday Harbor with our new CI 560. Here is where the interesting part begins...

For a vehicle or vehicle/trailer combo between 22' and 30' the round trip fare is $67.85

For a vehicle or vehicle/trailer combo between 30' and 40' the round trip fare is $181.20

WOW!! What a difference.

Our Jeep Wrangler unlimited measures in at 15'6" +/- 1".
    The 560 (according the web site) is at 13'11".

That puts us right at 29'6". We should be able to get the SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper fare...provided the bumper that is being installed does not add 6" to the overall length of the trailer.

Sooo for all those PNW locals, or those that are planning a trip to the PNW, pay close attention the overall length of your TV/CI combo and you may be able to get to the islands relatively cheap compared to the full size RVs.

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Or, we should push for those coveted pontoons and attach outboard motors and we can get across with just the trailer, but you will have to find moorage since you won't have a vehicle to tow with. At that point you might be up over the bigger fee. Hmmmm. Might need to rethink the islands!

By the way, where were you thinking of camping on San Juan? I know of one small campground, but I am curious where you were thinking.

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yes, and becareful if you have the bike rack option and are carrying bikes as that will probably put you over...

It did for me, I'm 28'5" or so but I did take my bike (aka Trophy) and that pushed me to the over 30' category... so just keep that in mind too...

I wouldn't let my breath out yet, until they actually measure it with the little bike wheel thing... a few times just to feel confident... doesn't matter what they calculations are, it's what "They" measure that counts...

4. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

With initial research I found 3 private campgrounds, and one county campground. Further investigation revealed that there is only one private campground, Lakedale Resort, runs from $48 to $70 per night. San Juan County Park has 20 camping sites which run about $20 per night.

Did some research into "pontoons" for flotation, my kayak has a load capacity of ~400lbs. I would need 4 of them to float the 560, that won't work. Perhaps I can call Cary and have the entire cabin rigged to be 100% water tight, convert the on-board water tanks to fuel tanks, put a 10hp outboard on the bumper that may work. Mooring is only $20 a night in Mitchell Bay.

5. fpoole

San Juan Island... I always get confused on what that is... it that where Friday Harbor is???

I've camped there several times, before "Le Droppe" (tent/dive campout) and the county park on the west side of island is nice, but can get crowded. Yaker's plan their trips there and usually fill the place up. We did stay one time at the private site at the harbor due to no space left at County Park. It we probably the resort you were talking abou. Had a little oyster shack right on the water/marina there..

Also camped at Orcas, north end of island facing Sucia and Lopez. Lopes is my fav place.. they've just "Remodeled" it, but do have some dry sites there maybe with power, I forget...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo album here

Fun....

6. Mick'nSarah

Now you're talking! :)

Yes, Frank. Friday and Roche Harbors are both on San Juan. Make sure you get our to see Mona the camel. There is a great alpaca farm we went to that had lots of babies that looked like giant poodles and a gun shop (if you are interested...not sure what the correlation there was!). There is a great light house and nice park for walking in that same area. We always love going to English/American Camps, and always stop at Westcott for oysters and clams (gorgeously fresh). The whale museum in Friday Harbor is pretty great too. We have spent a lot of time here.

7. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

Now wait...the gun shop and the Alpaca farm were the same place? That is weird. That is worse than my idea for a coffee shop / paint ball arena...re-define business upfront party in the rear.

Frank, those first few pictures are on which island? That looks like my kind of camping. Nothing more gorgeous than a water view with mountains in the backdrop.

8. fpoole

Joe, all potos in that album are from Lopez island , take Anacortes ferry to Lopez Island.

[​IMG]

Google Map

A little tricky on the schedule and can/will get jammed now the that summer 'BKT's (Bugs-Kids-Traffic)are coming in season.

I haven't been since they've reorganized it. Previously went there for diving, but last two trips were just camping..

Fun..

9. Mick'nSarah

Yes, and they also had a coffee shop and "fine gifts". I believe there were quilts as well. No idea! I think they were trying to cater to everyone! Oh, and there is an emu (think it is an emu) named Lisa who lives with Mona the camel. Believe Mona is the only camel in the the state of Washington, and she was bought off Craig's List. Can you imagine shopping for camels?!

I love these types of places.

10. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

My wife and I found one of those one-stop-fits-all places in Florida. The town was "Cracker Town", we happened to be passing through on the way to the beach (never did make it) during their grand re-re-opening. Celebration was complete with hot dogs for $0.25, hamurgers for $0.50, ribs for $1.00, and other various BBQ sundries all accompanied by a local bluegrass band. We didn't have chairs, but a couple of locals let us sit with them and we partied the day away. The store was the town post-office, library, deli, salvation army, video rental and drug store.

I love back roads, you never know what you're gonna get.
    Small salute to Mama Gump.

11. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

Update...

We finally made our trip to the San Juans. We managed to squeeze in under the 30' mark and made it to Orcas Island fairly cheap.

Unfortunately Moran State park was closed. As we were there in the middle of the season this seemed weird so we asked around. Turns out, supposedly, that they found a dead body decomposing in the campground and shut it down for investigation. We were stuck going to a ridiculously overpriced private camping "resort". Rained a bit, but a good weekend non the less.

12. fpoole

Yah, depending on which island, but on Orcas, there's one, open field really at the northern end of the island looking at Sucia Island...

http://www.westbeachresort.com/

It's nice out there and you might look at Lopez Island for a future stop

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016