UT National Park Watchman Campground (Zion NP)

Discussion in 'West' started by Mick'nSarah, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

This was my first trip to Zion, and right after arriving was wishing we had more than 1 night there. Despite the heat, it has a stunning beauty I have never seen before. Watchman campground was great too. We stayed in loop B, and we actually had electric, which this is the first National Park where I have been able to plug in, and I danced a bit of a jig, because this pretty much got my batteries back to where they needed to be after struggling for a week and a half. You are very close to Springdale, which we were told was really expensive, but gave folks a lot of options for shopping. We didn't have a chance to get down there.

The shuttle system through the park was great too. The Lad says he would like to go back when it is cooler, and I completely agree with him. We would also stay at Watchman Campground again, for sure.

Here is my review and photos:
    https://havekidwillteardrop.wordpr...eview-watchman-campground-zion-national-park/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. BeckyIO

BeckyIO Novice

Just had to comment on this. I wok-camped at Zion National Park last summer from June through September, I would have been there when you two came through!

Zion is amazing. Four months wasn't long enough to see it all but I tried my best. Even did Angel's Landing, the difficult four hike that climbs over 1,500 feet and uses chains.

When I talk to RVers who want to visit, what comes to mind first is the 1.1 mile Mt. Carmel Tunnel that has restrictions and an additional fee to get through for many motorhomes and trailers, but Camp-Inns are so small no one here would have to worry about it. :)

The shuttle system is great and keeps the park from getting so congested. It's free once you've paid to enter the park (if you have the interagency or senior park pass you don't have to pay). You'll park your vehicle (or walk to) the park headquarters and get on the bus there to go up the canyon.

Yes Springdale is the closest town, and yes it is a tourist trap and is pricey. The grocery options are so-so: expensive and limited selection. You can find some great restaurants there though. If you're coming from the south, stop in St. George for groceries first to get better prices, or if you're coming from the east stop in at Kanab - that's where I did my shopping.

I worked on the less popular Eastern side of the park, about 6,000 feet in elevation which made it cooler in the summer than the southern Watchman/Springdale end at 4,000 feet.

There are no campground options on the eastern side inside the park but it's beautiful to drive through (shuttle doesn't go there) with pull-outs that can accommodate a Camp-Inn.

Just outside the park's eastern entrance is the Zion Mountain Trading Post and Campground, that's where I worked. Sites are nothing fancy but it's more remote and peaceful and the shower/restroom facilities are new, 8 new washers and dryers too. Still not cheap at $20 a night for tent sites some of which can accommodate a Camp-Inn, or $30 if you want full hookups (those are the only two options), but it also has the benefit of being on the road leading to Bryce Canyon National Park, only about an hour's (gorgeous) drive away which is a pretty easy day trip and also a great park.

If you two go back Sarah, the locals say Zion is best in March and April: new leaves on the cottonwood trees, reasonable temperatures, and not as busy as September/October when the temps come down again.

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I'm not sure, is this the tunnel?

It was an interesting one..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I camped at Cedar City, KOA.. nice...

Fun he

4. BeckyIO

BeckyIO Novice

Yep Frank that's the Mt. Carmel tunnel! Big rigs fear that tunnel, but even for something the size of my Casita it was no problem. Hope you enjoyed your time there.

5. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

If you are in that area in the summer, a good option is the little campground in Kanaraville, at a little higher and cooler elevation between Cedar City and Hurricane. Full hookups, grassy and shady and uncrowded.