Water Filters

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by SarahNell_and_Robert, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Are screw-in water filters a most have when tying in public water at a camp ground?

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Drink the water first, and if you don't die, then it's safe for your Camp-Inn.

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Evan, you are always so helpful! :)

I just bring water in big jugs from home. I have used spigots for hand washing, but not for tying into. It is just easier and we are hopelessly spoiled with great tasting water out here. Sometimes it gets hard to drink other water. And for those who follow our local politics, this has nothing to do with fluoridated water...or not. ;)

Also, I don't know how much water is going in with the tie in and that can lead to spill over with the grey water tank.

Never have used a water filter, although I carry one from my backpack kit for "just in case" moments.

4. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

*groan* , technically true, yet useless answer!

I guess it depends, is my answer. If you've been to that campground before, and used the water, then likely it's fine.

Also remember unless you are getting some really high end microbial level filter, most filters are for sediment-type filtering. And some campgrounds might have really hard water, or taste funny (to you), so it all "depends".

If you're really concerned, don't hook up the hose right away. Let the water run for a bit from their tap, then fill a clear glass, and let it sit quietly for several hours, and see how much sediment there is, the smell, the taste, then decide to hook up or not.

FancyCider likes this.
  5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

A full tank of water would seem to grow less 'bad stuff' than an empty tank while not in use, too. Then, brfore a trip a couple ounces of plain bleach to a full tank of water,let sitting for a couple hours, followed by 3 fill-up and empty cycles should kill anything that might be growing.

6. 1Door

1Door Novice

Well,
    Sure wish we were camping right now...not really as we don't camp on week-ends!! So I am reading the latest posts on the forum and am so glad we chose to go "water-less". Alan washes our dishes using a short hose attached to the camp site spigot (after I have boiled the water in a Bodum electric kettle) and the dish washing area is usually a dozen feet away from the front of our 1 Door Special!! We always carry 3 gallons of distilled water for drinking and for coffee making. Hand washing is with the camp site spigot and followed up with anti-bacterial hand wipes or gel which are always handy on the table. I'm SO HAPPY that we don't have to worry about sanitizing water tanks and emptying 8 gallon grey water tanks at the dump station and like Alcat says..."don't forget your gloves for the dump station!"

7. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

yah,I carry the 5-gal plastic water jugs with the hand pump. 5-gal works great for 3-5 days and easily filled at the market, $2. and it tastes good..
    I got one of those water filters you connect to the hose before it goes into the trailer.... didn't notice much difference, so stopped using it.
    Of course in Wa,we just put buckets out and collect rain water.. heheh...

8. Dahava

Dahava Novice

We have a British Berkefeld Water Filtration System that we use at home for our drinking water. We plan on taking that with us in the CampInn, too. Heck, you can even dip this in a lake and it will filter out the junk. I like it better than the systems we used in the military. Great tasting water!

9. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

We bring water in 5 gal jugs for drinking, coffee and so on, for cleaning we use water thats available on camping ground.

Jenn likes this.
  10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

That is what I do also.